Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 363364365366367 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2013 at 14:28
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

When you look back to the Golden Era of Prog - how many biblical references did Genesis, Yes, Floyd Camel, ELP make....(lets take genesis/Yes) I know that Suppers ready mentions angels, gog, magog, Jerusalem, King of Kings and I think that TFTO mentions young Christians at one point, but I think that on balance the killer plants (The Return of the Giant Hogweed), Gangland scraps (Battle of Epping Forest), Mad b*****ds - (Harold The Barrel), Weird paedophile fantasies - The Musical Box - Wet Dreams - (The Lamia), Future Dystopia (Get em out by Friday) - Greek Mythology - The Fountain of Salmacis - Atomic War - Stagnation - Revolution - The Knife - It's about time the flokis forgot the bleedin bible and sang about summat else...My personal favourite whimsical song - "The Hum" by Haze - about mole civil war.........

To be fair, I think the majority of Flower Kings songs do not have any biblical references.  Roine seems to write more about ethical issues than about anything else.........there really aren't any "story" songs or mythological songs.  A lot of songs about love, though, which is an interesting focus for a prog band.............
Maybe My "Evangelical Loony sense" (that I developed when A very heavy version of the bible dropped on my head whilst I was contemplating eating another spoonful of soil when I was eighteen months old) is making me think that Christian preaching is in fact everywhere - Dawkins! - I can see Billy Graham peeping out of my wife's blouse......Wink

Well, it certainly does seem a lot more prevalent in the prog scene than it was in past, that's for sure.

Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2013 at 19:09
Sorry I've been absent as of late folks, really looking forward to the new album!

-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2013 at 20:15

When you look back to the Golden Era of Prog - how many biblical references did Genesis, Yes, Floyd Camel, ELP make....(lets take genesis/Yes) I know that Suppers ready mentions angels, gog, magog, Jerusalem, King of Kings and I think that TFTO mentions young Christians at one point, but I think that on balance the killer plants (The Return of the Giant Hogweed), Gangland scraps (Battle of Epping Forest), Mad b*****ds - (Harold The Barrel), Weird paedophile fantasies - The Musical Box - Wet Dreams - (The Lamia), Future Dystopia (Get em out by Friday) - Greek Mythology - The Fountain of Salmacis - Atomic War - Stagnation - Revolution - The Knife - It's about time the flokis forgot the bleedin bible and sang about summat else...My personal favourite whimsical song - "The Hum" by Haze - about mole civil war.........

But, the Bible is God's infallible word to us.  Confused  The all powerful, all knowing chose to reveal His will in an archaic, arbitrarily collected book of stories and letters.  Clap
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2013 at 07:14
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

But, the Bible is God's infallible word to us.  Confused  The all powerful, all knowing chose to reveal His will in an archaic, arbitrarily collected book of stories and letters.  Clap
H'm strange that it doesn't contain anything that couldn't have been written by a bunch of bronze age bearded mysoginists...if it had a reference of a double-helix and a mention of the four nucleobases, guanine, adenine, thymine and cytosine...I would perhaps be impressed. Instead we have the ramblings going on about not being able to covet thy neighbours ass...LOL - BINGO - just like Tales from topographic Oceans - a Quadruple CD called - D.N.A in four movements - GUANINE, ADENINE,, THYMINE and CYTOSINE.....HAVE IT............Cool

Edited by M27Barney - September 13 2013 at 07:16
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2013 at 10:17

H'm strange that it doesn't contain anything that couldn't have been written by a bunch of bronze age bearded mysoginists...if it had a reference of a double-helix and a mention of the four nucleobases, guanine, adenine, thymine and cytosine...I would perhaps be impressed. Instead we have the ramblings going on about not being able to covet thy neighbours ass...LOL - BINGO - just like Tales from topographic Oceans - a Quadruple CD called - D.N.A in four movements - GUANINE, ADENINE,, THYMINE and CYTOSINE.....HAVE IT............Cool

Beer  Science is the Devil's work!
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2013 at 14:49

Aye, the prince of darkness leading us all into hell fire with our 50" HD TV's showing flange with such unbelievable clarity we're all going to burn quickly coz we're all dessicated with self abuse and salivary gland exhaustion....HELL YEAH

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2013 at 17:37
Yes looking forward to this one......"recorded live and on reel to reel tape..." Should be analog heaven! Hoping for a vinyl version.
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2013 at 20:41

Oh boy...Wacko   are you gonna rot in hell for that one, my lad!  Angry

"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2013 at 03:11
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

I thought it was a case of "Burn" in hell on account of it being the eternal fires of damnation and all that!
 "Rot" in hell sort of sounds it's like the old peoples home down the road from me Wink

Edited by M27Barney - September 14 2013 at 03:11
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2013 at 03:13
And as we know - "Jesus watches while I w**k" - Surely a sure fire track title that you'd never find on a Neal Morse CD Wink
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2013 at 11:25
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Rot in the ground, more likely Cool

Incidentally, I've had a hell of a time listening to much of this stuff lately.  Roine's good with symbolism and isn't too literal, so that's easier to swallow.  Morse, on the other hand, is too much.  On the other extreme, I'm over Neil Peart's adolescent libertarian themes.  The pervade every damn song!  He's no individual against the crowd.  He'd be nowhere without Geddy and Lerxst.  Not to mention the droves of fans that gobble up that Randian crap.  The kicker is that Morse and Rush make some awesome music!!  Confused

Edited by zumacraig - September 14 2013 at 11:26
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2013 at 22:06

And as we know - "Jesus watches while I w**k" - Surely a sure fire track title that you'd never find on a Neal Morse CD Wink

Work?  Jesus watches you work?  
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2013 at 11:09
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

W....A....N....K

the moderation of 'bad words' on this board is ridiculous.  
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2013 at 06:24
Aye look Celine Dion.....and Income tax......and Wedding Cake....hmmmmmm
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 11:22
Ok you Peoples - Anybody know a prog metal band that has produced a classical CD - played as metal obviously?
You know - Beethoven's 5th - metal version?
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 11:24
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

You could have said - Walk or Wink as well Big smile
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 11:26
I just pre-ordered the new Dream Theater....ooooh the spelling pooter thinks I've spelt Theatre wrong - as I obviously have.....
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 13:51

Ok you Peoples - Anybody know a prog metal band that has produced a classical CD - played as metal obviously?
Here is a Michael Romeo cover of Paganini, but just one musical piece, not an entire CD.

Alex Masi released albums titled In The Name Of Bach; In The Name Of Mozart; and In The Name of Beethoven.

Edited by rushfan4 - September 17 2013 at 13:54
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2013 at 15:40

I'm not really sure if this would be up your alley or not, but Ciclos by Spanish band Los Canarios is an incredible adaptation of Vivaldi's Four Seasons suite.  It was released in 1974, so you know it's good Wink ...... it was a double LP with 4 sidelong tracks (between 16 and 22 minutes each, corresponding to the four movements of the suite).

Seriously, I really love the album, but the vocals might not work for you.  I find they give the album a lot of it's charm, but the woman singer can get quite insane at times (I enjoy it mostly, but I don't know about you).  The male vocals and choir vocals are decent, if not particularly great.  There are more instrumental sections than vocal sections, as you might imagine.

Anyway, nothing to do with prog metal, but probably my favorite classical composition done by a rock band type album.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2013 at 06:40
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Here is a Michael Romeo cover of Paganini, but just one musical piece, not an entire CD.

Alex Masi released albums titled In The Name Of Bach; In The Name Of Mozart; and In The Name of Beethoven.
The Romeo track is most excellent....I might buy the CD on the strength of that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 363364365366367 486>