Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 388389390391392 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2014 at 14:03
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

You could just take a leap of faith and buy the used copy listed here:

Kaleidoscope

Transatlantic | Format: Audio CD

Price: $22.42 & FREE Shipping on orders over $35. Details

Usually ships within 1 to 4 weeks.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

5 new from $22.42 1 used from $1,664.05

I could also drop a large catalog on my foot.  Both sound relatively painful to me.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2014 at 14:48
On first Spin it doesn't leap out and grab you - mind you a few CD's have had that impact on first spin - and eventually they overtake some CD's that I liked first time....I shall give it a couple of spins in differing mood-modes and see what happens !!!
Jörgemeister View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jörgemeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2014 at 17:03
I am not quite loving the new Trans* album, however some tracks sound really powerful live. specially the first track.

But Shine and parts of the title track were really boring, or maybe was the fact that the audience din't know the song but we were all quiet when whole 30 minutes track.

I was talking about the new Transatlantic album**

Edited by Jörgemeister - February 05 2014 at 08:39
I Could have bought a Third World country with the riches that I've spent
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 08:41
new TA album.
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 10:24
Dial Emma.
If you have a finite amount of prog listening time and a very large prog CD collection. Do you..
a. Revisit old favourites (and I have a lot of them)
b. explore new prog
c. Try to do both?
Obviously, the last option is optimal - but how much time do you spend of your favourite Friday-night prog spot listening to known faves, or listening to new stuff? and what about trying to spin the latest TA disc into favour?? - Hmmmm
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 10:26
I don't remember anything about the title track. In fact, I zoned out a few times when I listened to it. Obviously, I need to listen to Kaleidoscope again.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 10:30
C.  I started listening to my collection alphabetically 5 years ago.  I am currently at Thomas, but I listened to about 100 new Prog releases last year (either purchased or more likely on Spotify).  I pretty much keep to my alphabetic listening on my iPod, but listen to what I feel like when I feel like at times or with my CDs. 
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 13:37
Hm, was that alphabetically on album title or Band, then album title? I have my collection alphabetic on artist but then the CD's are in chronological order, thus Genesis, From Genesis to revelation, then Trespass, Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot.......
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 13:39
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I don't remember anything about the title track. In fact, I zoned out a few times when I listened to it. Obviously, I need to listen to Kaleidoscope again.

I lost interest too in times during the first track - I always hope that the epics are the best because if they aren't then a considerable amount of the music you've just purchased is duff !!!
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 13:46
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Hm, was that alphabetically on album title or Band, then album title? I have my collection alphabetic on artist but then the CD's are in chronological order, thus Genesis, From Genesis to revelation, then Trespass, Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot.......
Alphabetical by artist and chronological within the artist.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 14:17
Good job that Zappa, Frank is nearly last then coz it will take you about six months to hear his output - it's prodigious !!!

Edited by M27Barney - February 05 2014 at 14:17
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 14:23

Good job that Zappa, Frank is nearly last then coz it will take you about six months to hear his output - it's prodigious !!!
It is interesting that you say that because I mainly started out just listening to the CDs that I own, but fairly recently I have taken to Spotify to fill in the gaps wherever possible so as to try and listen to complete discographies.  I don't think that that is going to happen with Zappa, Frank but I'll see how daunting that bridge is when I get there.  I have less than a dozen of his albums and can't say that I have really been enamored with them, although there is certainly some good stuff scattered within here and there.  I wonder if his stuff is even on Spotify? 
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 17:01
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/transatlantic/2014/arcada-theatre-saint-charles-il-5bc537d0.html

here's the setlist from the recent TA shows.  i guess i need to listen to the new one again.  it really left me cold.  i listened to Bridge the other day and that album is just classic.  to think roine and neal at that time were in the middle of a genius level of creating with the two TA albums, SB albums and TFK albums in from 95 to early 02.  it's like they were all in the groove, everything they were writing at that time was good.  hell, Duel was a throw away neal gave to Ryo.  it's kind of like the period of Yes album to Drama...everything the band did was good to amazing.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2014 at 05:41
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/transatlantic/2014/arcada-theatre-saint-charles-il-5bc537d0.htmlhere's the setlist from the recent TA shows.  i guess i need to listen to the new one again.  it really left me cold.  i listened to Bridge the other day and that album is just classic.  to think roine and neal at that time were in the middle of a genius level of creating with the two TA albums, SB albums and TFK albums in from 95 to early 02.  it's like they were all in the groove, everything they were writing at that time was good.  hell, Duel was a throw away neal gave to Ryo.  it's kind of like the period of Yes album to Drama...everything the band did was good to amazing.

I'm going to spin it again as I was similarly underwhelmed - but maybe I had set myself against it subconsciously, so I will try and listen in a more open way and ignore the lyrics if I can and concentrate on the music! The period of Yes - includes Tormato !!! bloody awful compared to the other stuff !!! I haven't listened to Bridge Across Forever for a while, I've always preferred SMPT....
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2014 at 07:50

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/transatlantic/2014/arcada-theatre-saint-charles-il-5bc537d0.htmlhere's the setlist from the recent TA shows.  i guess i need to listen to the new one again.  it really left me cold.  i listened to Bridge the other day and that album is just classic.  to think roine and neal at that time were in the middle of a genius level of creating with the two TA albums, SB albums and TFK albums in from 95 to early 02.  it's like they were all in the groove, everything they were writing at that time was good.  hell, Duel was a throw away neal gave to Ryo.  it's kind of like the period of Yes album to Drama...everything the band did was good to amazing.

I'm going to spin it again as I was similarly underwhelmed - but maybe I had set myself against it subconsciously, so I will try and listen in a more open way and ignore the lyrics if I can and concentrate on the music! The period of Yes - includes Tormato !!! bloody awful compared to the other stuff !!! I haven't listened to Bridge Across Forever for a while, I've always preferred SMPT....

Yeah, SMPTe is my absolute favorite.  Never really cared for Bridge that much, though the epics do have their moments.  Both seem dragged out to me, especially Duel.  I may have to pull it out again as it's been a few years since I've heard it (other than the tracks played on the Whirld Tour DVD and CD).

Still waiting on the new one.........

Nice to see My New World back in their set.  That and All Of The Above are the best things they've ever done, IMO.

Edited by infandous - February 06 2014 at 07:52
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2014 at 07:52
I`m listening to flower power. next its. TA
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2014 at 07:59
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Yeah, SMPTe is my absolute favorite.  Never really cared for Bridge that much, though the epics do have their moments.  Both seem dragged out to me, especially Duel.  I may have to pull it out again as it's been a few years since I've heard it (other than the tracks played on the Whirld Tour DVD and CD).Still waiting on the new one.........Nice to see My New World back in their set.  That and All Of The Above are the best things they've ever done, IMO.

Well we concur on TA..
No 1 track All of the Above
No 2 My New World
all the rest - take your pick as they all have good parts, but....My listening moods are fluctuating widely at the moment...thus it's hard to select a CD for the moment - Tomorrow I'll listen to the TA again I suppose, but then I have quite a few other CD's that require a 2nd spin...so I may choose the CoE....

Edited by M27Barney - February 06 2014 at 08:00
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2014 at 06:17
I have reviewed Kaleidoscope - I cannot give it more than three stars at the present. The lyrical content is just ludicrous given the mono-themed outlook from Morse. I wish he would just realise that most prog rock fans (especially in Britain) are almost certainly Atheists , or humanists or whatever that have no stupid blind faith in some fictional character, whether that's the Judaic God or James T Kirk....
There must be loads of other people completely cheesed-off with the single themed repetition - Ok we had the whirlwind, now give it a rest and go and sing about sledric the silly sloth, lounging on his branch in the rainforest...ANYTHING !!!
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2014 at 06:23
Oh and maybe it's just me? My wife says I'm weird because I eat the whole apple, core pips and all - I tell her that a lot of the dietary fibre and vitamins are in the core...so who eats the whole apple ? Maybe morse should contemplate a futile war - with two factions - the whole-apple eaters V the apple core leavers which causes total annihilation of their small planet orbiting a G2V class star in the Andromeda galaxy.....
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2014 at 12:17
Like most fruits with edible skins, the skin is the most nutritious part of the apple, though I know many people swear by the core parts as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 388389390391392 486>