Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Quiet One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2009 at 17:12
^ah thanks buddy, the other one was Ashra's Blackouts, a Krautrock album, it's really spacey and quite electronic, love it to use when I go to sleep, it's perfect.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2009 at 19:24
Originally posted by TheCaptain TheCaptain wrote:

Also, Cacho, nice new avatar. Although I did like the eye-catching orangeness of the last one, I approve of John Lord.

Agreed, though I must say, John Lord does have kind of a Ringo look going for him.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Quiet One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2009 at 19:48
^Ah, certainly, Ringo in his late days with The Beatles, but have in mind Jon Lord had that look from the same time in 1968. So..
bassman4 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassman4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2009 at 20:22
Originally posted by Altair Altair wrote:

Wow, I've never heard of these guys, they sound pretty interesting to say the least. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good starting point?

Unfold The Future made a believer out of me Big smile
bassman4 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassman4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2009 at 20:57
Hey ,since we are all TFK fans here , might I pause to tell y'all how cool it is to be hangin with like minded.?
This band is consuming all my listening time. I listen to The Rainmaker in the morning on my way to work.
I think about tunes from UTF and Space Rev all day long,then I get home and listen to Paradox Hotel. I can't seem to get my fill.
I made a excellent compilation disc :Cosmic Lover
                                                                  Chicken Farmer Song
                                                                  Rollin The Dice
                                                                  I Am The Sun p2
                                                                 Monkey Business
                                                                 Don of the Universe
                                                                 The Truth Will Set You Free
 you have one ?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Quiet One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2009 at 21:05
^I haven't, yet, but here is how it would be, somehow:

1. I Am The Sun (Pt 1) (15 min)
2. The Flower King (10 min)
3. Timelines (8 min)
4. Minor Giant Steps (12 min)
5. A Kings Prayer (6 min)
6. Life Will Kill You (7 min)
7. Silent Inferno (14)
8. Underdog (5 min)
bassman4 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassman4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2009 at 22:07
I am looking forward to hearing Adam and Eve [ just ordered ]  cant believe I haven't heard The Flower King yet
either . But when I get them here ,I'll burn a cd so I can get another fans perspective. What a great band .
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2009 at 22:50
Great lists Bassman and Cacho.  If I had to go with one compilation disc, I'd go with:

Serious Dreamers (9 minutes)
I Am The Sun (26 minutes)
Minor Giant Steps (12 minutes)
Devil's Playground (25 minutes)
Life Will Kill You (7 minutes)
Mr. Hope Goes to Wall Street (2 minutes)

It's close to a disc, a little over maybe, so I guess what I'd do would be throw Mr. Hope on to Disc 2 which would look like this:

Mr. Hope Goes to Wall Street (2 minutes)
Stardust We Are (25 minutes)
World of Adventures (14 minutes)
There Is More To This World (10 minutes)
Flora Majora (7 minutes)
Stupid Girl (7 minutes)
One More Time (13 minutes)

Great band.

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Nov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2009 at 09:17
Hi

I'm Nov and decided to sign on here as I like what you say about TFK Wink

I had typed out a long introductory post but the whole lot just got trashed Cry

Anyway, suffice to say that I'm a massive TFK fan and would say that they are definitely my favourite band from the last 20 years or so.

There are a couple of MASSIVE TFK threads on the Genesis forums that I contribute to, one of which is 240 pages long!! Here: http://genesisgts.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=obands&action=display&num=1172705095

So, there's lots of love for TFK in Genesis circles Wink

That'll do for an introduction so I'll head of and contribute to the poll Wink

Cheers

Nov

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2009 at 17:14
Thanks for all the recommendations.  You know, oddly enough my first encounter with TFK was their cover of Cinema Show on a Genesis tribute album.  I just listened to it and am a little pissed off.  They did a good cover but on the CD it was faded out prematurely, severely prematurely.  Not their fault of course.

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 28 2009 at 17:15
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2009 at 17:58
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Thanks for all the recommendations.  You know, oddly enough my first encounter with TFK was their cover of Cinema Show on a Genesis tribute album.  I just listened to it and am a little pissed off.  They did a good cover but on the CD it was faded out prematurely, severely prematurely.  Not their fault of course.

Slarti,

I had the same tribute CD and surprisingly enough, much the same reaction.

I stewed in my irritation for quite a few years until they released 'The Road Back Home'.  The full version is on there and you can buy the MP3 from Amazon for a buck.

Enjoy,

Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2009 at 17:59
Originally posted by Nov Nov wrote:

Hi

I'm Nov and decided to sign on here as I like what you say about TFK Wink

I had typed out a long introductory post but the whole lot just got trashed Cry

Anyway, suffice to say that I'm a massive TFK fan and would say that they are definitely my favourite band from the last 20 years or so.

There are a couple of MASSIVE TFK threads on the Genesis forums that I contribute to, one of which is 240 pages long!! Here: http://genesisgts.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=obands&action=display&num=1172705095

So, there's lots of love for TFK in Genesis circles Wink

That'll do for an introduction so I'll head of and contribute to the poll Wink

Cheers

Nov

Welcome to you Nov, you're in good company of many a FK aficionado here.  I'll have to check out the Genesis forum that you speak of.

Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2009 at 18:12
OK, time to throw a thank you to both Nov and Ommadawn.  You both had lists of nominations in my favorite songs poll that had a lot of similarities to mine, the biggest difference is that I didn't have 'Big Puzzle'.  Back in the World is one of the Flower King albums that I'm least familiar with, mostly cause I got it relatively recently.

So I made a point to listen to 'Big Puzzle' while I was making dinner...what a fantastic song, thank you both for turning me on to it.

Roland

bassman4 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassman4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2009 at 21:36
I just received Meet The Flower Kings dvd.  I love it. I think this is a must have for any TFK fan  . No kiddin , this is a GREAT dvd. I would love to see these dudes live but, ... I don't know if the oppertunity will present itself.
TheCaptain View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2009 at 22:00
My first introduction to The Flower Kings was Meet The Flower Kings (cd version). I was blown away by the first few seconds of marimba on The Truth Will Set You Free. I later got the DVD really liked it too. Roine looks so weird with the long hair and it really is the ultimate Flower Kings lineup. I luckily had the pleasure of seeing them live last year at 3RP. I sank about $100 in TFK merchandise alone (Fan Club CDs, and shirts) then got to meet them all and shook the hand of every member of the band. That last part required me staying about half an hour or so after they finished.  Then I got to drive to school for 3 hours after that (about 2-3:30, then slept for a couple hours, then another hour and a half driving). It was totally worth it.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2009 at 09:29
Captain,

Heh, that was an amazing concert, The Flower Kings put an amazing show on.  Are you going again this year?  No Flower Kings, but Glass Hammer, Phideaux, IQ, Singularity and It Bites (plus a few more). 

It looks to be a great show this year as well.

Roland

TheCaptain View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2009 at 17:18
I'll see how it works out. I have only heard one album from those bands and that is The Inconsolable Secret by  Glass Hammer. Maybe if I into any of those bands I'll consider it.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2009 at 19:34
Both Singularity and It Bites are amazing (imho), Phideaux is great, IQ is great Glass Hammer is great.  King's X is headlining it, I don't know if I consider them prog but they're headlining none the less.

Just out of curiosity, at last year's prog festival, were you studying for a new class that you had to teach on the breaks?  We (wife and I) ate lunch with with someone from Ohio who was bemoaning the drive back as he was about to start teaching a new class.

Roland

PS, if you're looking to listen to some of the music of the bands, there's a weely podcast called 'The Rogues Gallery' (on The Dividing Line).  Has a fairly extensive archive which may include some of the afore mentioned bands in them.  I know most of It Bites and Singularity's latest could be found in there at one point.

J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2009 at 15:25
Roine Stolt's awesome. All I can say.Big smile

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Quiet One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2009 at 15:34
^if that's the only thing you can say, then leaveThumbs Down

Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 486>