Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 416417418419420 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 13:53
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

Hi guys, it's been a while.  I too have been on my holidays, a few days spent seeing both rims of the Grand Canyon (truly breathtaking), a few days in Utah (also spectacular) and then a week in Vegas!

Since returning I've been on a bit of a PT kick, first time in a long while.  Yesterday Voyage 34 and this morning Staircase Infinities which is totally stellar, particularly Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape my favourite PT track.  

Unlike normally, I'll also comment on something TFK related Shocked.  I just love the Tomas Bodin solo album Pinup Guru.  If you haven't heard this one, it's a mighty prog trio (Tomas, Jonas and Zoltan) and totally instrumental.  It's like listening to a slightly weirder version of TFK.  Great melodies and sumptuous TFK-style chord progressions but a little different as you'd expect with Tomas.  Totally recommended and even though I like all his solo albums this is my favourite.

Funny, you mention the two Porcupine Tree album I don't own!  I've heard Voyage 34, but only in concert, not the studio version(s).

You are right about Pinup Guru.........the only thing I never liked about that album is the production.  It just seems to give me ear fatigue about halfway through (too much loudness? compression? don't know).  I'll have to pull it out again sometime soon.........
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 13:59
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Holy smokes, I can post from Chrome now, this is a major improvement.  I'm pretty psyched.

Anyways . . . what do you all think of the new Opeth album?  I keep listening to it and the musicianship is great, there aren't any growls for me to use as an excuse, but the album just doesn't make me jump up and down for joy.  There are only very few parts that seem to stick with me.  Is this one of their better albums or a run of the mill one?

I still gotta pick that up, thanks for reminding me.  I loved the previous album, and haven't really enjoyed their album prior to that very much.  I've heard good things about this one, so I'm looking forward to hearing it.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 14:02
I picked up a couple things recently though:

King Crimson Islands - hadn't heard this in years.  Probably not a favorite around here, but I love it.  It's quite wild and "rough" sounding compared to the overly processed and smoothed over recordings we hear these days.  I miss that 70's experimental vibe these days.......

Heliopolis S/T  -  haven't listened to it yet, recommended by Andy Tillison (of Tangent fame, if you didn't know).

Also have the "new" Pink Floyd album on order.......not expecting much, but my girlfriend loves all things Floyd and I kind of like the idea of a more ambient, instrumental Floyd.  We shall see.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 15:11
I am Going to See Haken, Machine and er another band - I have their CD's to listen to - before the gig!
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 15:22
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Holy smokes, I can post from Chrome now, this is a major improvement.  I'm pretty psyched.

Anyways . . . what do you all think of the new Opeth album?  I keep listening to it and the musicianship is great, there aren't any growls for me to use as an excuse, but the album just doesn't make me jump up and down for joy.  There are only very few parts that seem to stick with me.  Is this one of their better albums or a run of the mill one?

I still gotta pick that up, thanks for reminding me.  I loved the previous album, and haven't really enjoyed their album prior to that very much.  I've heard good things about this one, so I'm looking forward to hearing it.
Glad to help, though as I said, I'm not in love with it.  It's not bad, but I'm not singing it's praises.  I've said this before, but I highly recommend Spotify, they have a lot of prog and it's a good way to proof albums before you buy them.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 03:27

Glad to help, though as I said, I'm not in love with it.  It's not bad, but I'm not singing it's praises.  I've said this before, but I highly recommend Spotify, they have a lot of prog and it's a good way to proof albums before you buy them.

I'm actually going to see Opeth tonight Big smile.  I really like the album and prefer it over Heritage as it's a bit more focused.  I definitely prefer the older albums though.

Rob and I were at the IQ gig the other night and a bloody good one it was too.  Great sound (you could actually hear the keyboards Shocked) and a brilliant setlist.  Disc 1 of the new album was played in full plus The Seventh House, Leap of Faith (2 of my faves), Widow's Peak, Darkest Hour, Subterranea etc.  And the beer was good too Wink.

That kicked off a bit of a hectic period for concerts for me over the run-up to Christmas.  In all I'll be seeing IQ, Opeth, The Orb, ARC (electronic prog outfit), Billy Idol, Marillion, Strange Days (Doors tribute) and Ozric Tentacles in the coming weeks.  You only live once. 

Edited by Roj - October 15 2014 at 03:28
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 03:31

I picked up a couple things recently though:

King Crimson Islands - hadn't heard this in years.  Probably not a favorite around here, but I love it.  It's quite wild and "rough" sounding compared to the overly processed and smoothed over recordings we hear these days.  I miss that 70's experimental vibe these days.......

Heliopolis S/T  -  haven't listened to it yet, recommended by Andy Tillison (of Tangent fame, if you didn't know).

Also have the "new" Pink Floyd album on order.......not expecting much, but my girlfriend loves all things Floyd and I kind of like the idea of a more ambient, instrumental Floyd.  We shall see.

I'm not a huge fan of KC but this is one of theirs I do like.  I also think it has one of the best album covers of all time.  I'm right with you on the new Floyd, I doubt it'll be totally earth-shattering stuff but the prospect of a mainly instrumental and more ambient release is appealing.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 09:12
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

I'm actually going to see Opeth tonight Big smile.  I really like the album and prefer it over Heritage as it's a bit more focused.  I definitely prefer the older albums though.

Rob and I were at the IQ gig the other night and a bloody good one it was too.  Great sound (you could actually hear the keyboards Shocked) and a brilliant setlist.  Disc 1 of the new album was played in full plus The Seventh House, Leap of Faith (2 of my faves), Widow's Peak, Darkest Hour, Subterranea etc.  And the beer was good too Wink.

That kicked off a bit of a hectic period for concerts for me over the run-up to Christmas.  In all I'll be seeing IQ, Opeth, The Orb, ARC (electronic prog outfit), Billy Idol, Marillion, Strange Days (Doors tribute) and Ozric Tentacles in the coming weeks.  You only live once. 

Color me jealous . . . there are a lot of good shows in there.

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 09:27
DeadConfused with the Floyd up and coming new album, is it a Pink Floyd album in that there it isn't sounding like a Floyd album. Wink maybe wow or Ouch crappy... well how`s the music of TFK going in your own world. which of the many epic tracks is your absolutely number one epic of all time. also of the cover used by TA is your personnel favourite or favourite`s, I`ve been thinking what if you could pick the list list for a TFK show which ones would be in the list ???????... maybe I`ve gotten to stop thinking about it as my minds DeadShockedConfused trying to ????????????????...  
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 13:41
I'd rather not go and see Billy Idol thank you very much!
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 14:06
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Ahh, so when everyone else in the house goes to the Billy Idol concert, you'll be left . . . Dancing with Yourself?

Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 07:14
^ LOL
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 10:27
isn't it LOL when someone makes a complete tool of them self`s with keeping there motormouth going instead of shutting the motormouth up!. LOL. l`ve  been within the craziness inner bull no not going there... just pop in the SWA to hear the title track as its all I`ve gotten time to listen to... hmmm good.
I`ve been stuck in my listening choices as ???? not to sure, so what I`d like is would you point out the newer bands in the world of PROG. if you could say the bands/solo name and a cd to start at. many thanks guys... shouldn't ever stop seeking and for fill your self with all life as to offer you... how did you get the progressive rock soul. where did you first hear the music which set you on the amazing musical magical PROG ride. for me it was hearing two albums around a friends house out of his older brothers vinyl albums, I was looking at the two cover of the not long released Genesis =  Foxtrot and Yes = Close to the edge. his brother came in then talk to me at the two albums, then played them for me yes they where played in the order of above I was in a multi coloured amazing heaven, luky for me my birthday was coming up, wonder what was the gifts from family members LOL. I`ve never looked back ooh yes. so where will your help send me on with your choices on the newer albums will it be ConfusedorDeadBig smile wait and see. ooh where, when and how did you first become into TFK, the truth for me was the mail order progressive rock GFT, the owner  Malcom Parker and I where talk on the phone when I was placing an order he let slip about an album by TFK was a amazing  emotional classic pure listening pleasure. the album is SWA so I added it to the then list the date was in the `90`s  I`ve been listening to the music of TFK ever since then, wow glad about the talk to MP its well DeadCry GFT are no more, I`ve been pleased to have the mail order GFT-CYCLOPS was still goingCry yes!. its was like having a friend and PROG music shop rolled into ONE. some of the time he`d   call in the evening we`d chat for hours about PROG. so now apart from the prog archives.com no one to talk all things PROGRESSIVE ROCK!!!!!... I`ve been wish for a right old longest chat about PROGLOL maybe I`ll bump into some stranger whom as the same passion about the fabulous fanatic musical journey of cosmic progressive music, maybeLOL but than again maybe Cry not... sometimes I`m so in need of talking over a wide range of topics without have an one round at the times this happens I`ll sound like a gibberish raving loony, gibbering to myselfLOL its only worrying if I answer myself right. the two worries are ISIS/ EBOLA. craving for the two missing friend whom I`ve always been blessed with there great chats until sadly they moved on and didn't keep in touch with me, why I couldn't tell you as I wouldn't have the answer for you if you asked me. using the world of PROG, its a misplaced childhood, back in the world of adventure but where do all the mad men go the rainmaker is here trying to listen to the music which died alone no more the lamb lies down in roundabout close to topographic whirlwind chocolate frogs afterglow once supper`s ready... LOL can you name them LOL... ooh I`ve possible asked this many times before but do you like The Tangent as members of TFK are in The Tangent... then again I`ve always been a happiness seeking gibberish raving loonies for friends me, its pretty classic `70`s sound with a hint of jazz the music by the tangent. ooh lucky I`ve not gotten to go to help out a mate now so I`ve gotten more  time for PROG Music, Yes TFTO ooh yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!... DeadDeadDeadDeadBig smile now how about you then. one of the positive of working the zombie ( nightshift ) shift is whenever nothing to do expect play PROG no need for headphones as I`m the only one home goody goodies drops. isn't the music scene boring no lacking its forward think musicians so the music is hmmm BORING. or maybe its just me the grummy old git just sitting through the same old same radio station crap, 57 channels nothing on, no one here to talk to. b******s dam s**t gibberish grummy old geek!. isn't at the happiness state of in mind control   faze to enlightening my absolute peace of mind. I`ve worries about the new album by the Pink Floyd... why oh why do people go on reality chat shows to hangout there crap out please why... see you all later...

Music Is Live

<
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 11:04
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

isn't it LOL when someone makes a complete tool of them self`s with keeping there motormouth going instead of shutting the motormouth up!. LOL. l`ve  been within the craziness inner bull no not going there... just pop in the SWA to hear the title track as its all I`ve gotten time to listen to... hmmm good.
I`ve been stuck in my listening choices as ???? not to sure, so what I`d like is would you point out the newer bands in the world of PROG. if you could say the bands/solo name and a cd to start at. many thanks guys... shouldn't ever stop seeking and for fill your self with all life as to offer you... how did you get the progressive rock soul. where did you first hear the music which set you on the amazing musical magical PROG ride. for me it was hearing two albums around a friends house out of his older brothers vinyl albums, I was looking at the two cover of the not long released Genesis =  Foxtrot and Yes = Close to the edge. his brother came in then talk to me at the two albums, then played them for me yes they where played in the order of above I was in a multi coloured amazing heaven, luky for me my birthday was coming up, wonder what was the gifts from family members LOL. I`ve never looked back ooh yes. so where will your help send me on with your choices on the newer albums will it be ConfusedorDeadBig smile wait and see. ooh where, when and how did you first become into TFK, the truth for me was the mail order progressive rock GFT, the owner  Malcom Parker and I where talk on the phone when I was placing an order he let slip about an album by TFK was a amazing  emotional classic pure listening pleasure. the album is SWA so I added it to the then list the date was in the `90`s  I`ve been listening to the music of TFK ever since then, wow glad about the talk to MP its well DeadCry GFT are no more, I`ve been pleased to have the mail order GFT-CYCLOPS was still goingCry yes!. its was like having a friend and PROG music shop rolled into ONE. some of the time he`d   call in the evening we`d chat for hours about PROG. so now apart from the prog archives.com no one to talk all things PROGRESSIVE ROCK!!!!!... I`ve been wish for a right old longest chat about PROGLOL maybe I`ll bump into some stranger whom as the same passion about the fabulous fanatic musical journey of cosmic progressive music, maybeLOL but than again maybe Cry not... sometimes I`m so in need of talking over a wide range of topics without have an one round at the times this happens I`ll sound like a gibberish raving loony, gibbering to myselfLOL its only worrying if I answer myself right. the two worries are ISIS/ EBOLA. craving for the two missing friend whom I`ve always been blessed with there great chats until sadly they moved on and didn't keep in touch with me, why I couldn't tell you as I wouldn't have the answer for you if you asked me. using the world of PROG, its a misplaced childhood, back in the world of adventure but where do all the mad men go the rainmaker is here trying to listen to the music which died alone no more the lamb lies down in roundabout close to topographic whirlwind chocolate frogs afterglow once supper`s ready... LOL can you name them LOL... ooh I`ve possible asked this many times before but do you like The Tangent as members of TFK are in The Tangent... then again I`ve always been a happiness seeking gibberish raving loonies for friends me, its pretty classic `70`s sound with a hint of jazz the music by the tangent. ooh lucky I`ve not gotten to go to help out a mate now so I`ve gotten more  time for PROG Music, Yes TFTO ooh yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!... DeadDeadDeadDeadBig smile now how about you then. one of the positive of working the zombie ( nightshift ) shift is whenever nothing to do expect play PROG no need for headphones as I`m the only one home goody goodies drops. isn't the music scene boring no lacking its forward think musicians so the music is hmmm BORING. or maybe its just me the grummy old git just sitting through the same old same radio station crap, 57 channels nothing on, no one here to talk to. b******s dam s**t gibberish grummy old geek!. isn't at the happiness state of in mind control   faze to enlightening my absolute peace of mind. I`ve worries about the new album by the Pink Floyd... why oh why do people go on reality chat shows to hangout there crap out please why... see you all later...
Sorry mate, I think there's a question about The Tangent in there somewhere but that's an impenetrable post.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 12:29

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Ahh, so when everyone else in the house goes to the Billy Idol concert, you'll be left . . . Dancing with Yourself?

Dance? That is possibly the most preposterous suggestion has been made to me in the last 49 years !!!
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 12:31
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Sorry mate, I think there's a question about The Tangent in there somewhere but that's an impenetrable post.
I understand that more than the one blathering on about everybody leaving me on my own to danceLOL
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 13:14

This post should be put to music.

geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 13:33
sorry my gibberish last post as sent you all into a mixed reaction to it. some of it was a great big LOL. there was a question on the band The Tangent, which was do you have any of the bands music.
don`t get the Disney Princesses obsession, never having children so no need for the coping mechanisms but that`s me...   

Music Is Live

<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2014 at 01:06
LOL last night I played SR even with me playing SR for many years last night it seem to take on another level of amazing upper musical magic listening. with the bass riffs looping round the keyboards sound scopes the guitars, drum coming in to the pulse of the music along comes lyrics of masterful turning you into the wonderous amazing up lifting greatest of powerful MUSIC of TFK... ClapStarStarStarStarStar   

Music Is Live

<
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 10:08

sorry my gibberish last post as sent you all into a mixed reaction to it. some of it was a great big LOL. there was a question on the band The Tangent, which was do you have any of the bands music.
don`t get the Disney Princesses obsession, never having children so no need for the coping mechanisms but that`s me...   

Now that I can understand Wink

I have everything ever released by the Tangent (also Tillison's solo albums).  Great stuff, all of it.  My favorites are actually the two most recent albums, along with A Place In The Queue (still my absolute favorite of theirs).  Oddly enough, the two with Roine are probably my least favorite, along with Not As Good As The Book........though again, I think they are all very good (much like TFK albums).  Very much looking forward to the new Tangent coming out in the next month or so, as well as Andy's new solo album (which may already be available?  not sure).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 416417418419420 486>