Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 422423424425426 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 11:06
Dennis!  Craig!  what sorcery is this?

Hope you're both well.  Been a crazy year here, glad to be into 2015 and looking out for new adventures.

Great to see you two.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 12:10
well thanks its 2015 as I`ve been out and now work yes... the music been a real pure helpful pass time. its been PROG... without TFK...Cry
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 12:44
Me youngest son is pushing for me to buy a 5.1 set up for the big telly downstairs! so I'll prpbably be investing in it this year - but do I get the 4k mega telly first?
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 18:38
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

[
Dennis,

I know, I just can't get the 5.1 thing going. 

@Zuma:  We are all fine, thanks   :).  You need to get the 5.1 going, you will really be hard on yourself when you finally do, you will enjoy it that much!  We got Mike going in 5.1 finally, you are next m8.   ;)

@geekfreek: Sorry, I promised Darkshade I'd never change my avatar photo, where is that lad? I think he is
off to Harvard or something... hmm...

@Tom:  Good to see you as well my friend.  :)   I've been buried with all the new 5.1 discrete mixes.
Gentle Giant Power & The Glory got done by Steven Wilson in 5.1 and it defies reality it is so bloody good.
What other time I have a I devote the listening to The WHO albums(2.0) that just got released to HDTracks.
They are using earlier generation master tapes and they sound AMAZING & UNREAL!   :)   :)    :)

@Barney: Not much 4K content yet, wait till prices come done to upgrade your telly, but get your 5.1 mojo going immediately and pick up CTTE, Fragile, TYA & Relayer in 5.1.  You will kick yourself in the ass for about a month wondering why you waited so long to do such a thing.  Trust me.

"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 08:07
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Dennis!  Craig!  what sorcery is this?

Hope you're both well.  Been a crazy year here, glad to be into 2015 and looking out for new adventures.

Great to see you two.

You too buddy!  BTW, is you old blog still live?

Now, anyone ever into Unitopia.  I guess some members just put out an album called Progressive Rock Fraternity or something.  Sounds interesting.

C
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 09:23
well its the pop music of radio station which is on well I`m doing the net...

Music Is Live

<
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2015 at 14:31
Dennis and Zuma!!  Good to see you both back in action Wink

Yes, the 5.1 is set up, and I have yet to hear anything in 5.1.  My CD's are all still packed from the move, and after an elective surgery followed by a bloody awful illness, I'm finally thinking about unpacking them.  I'm pretty sure I've got a couple 5.1 mixes in there somewhere.  I may have to pick up that Division Bell one, as my significant other loves Floyd above all else.

I've been listening to the new Beardfish, which is quite good, though I feel like they've become a bit too slick and "produced" now..........the quirkiness seems to have disappeared on this new one.  I got the one with the bonus CD, and some of the stuff on that I like more than the main album.  Still, I'm not disappointed overall.  Also got The Enid Invictus, which is going to take some getting used to......the vocalist is unbelievable and the music quite symphonic in the old school classical music fashion.

I've got tickets to see Steve Wilson live in Harrisburg PA 2 days before my birthday, which I'm very much looking forward to, as well as looking forward to the new album.  Aside from that, not much to report.

Oh yeah, it doesn't look like I'll be making it to Rosfest after all Ouch 

Edited by infandous - February 06 2015 at 14:32
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 10:40
well wee its just not the 5.1 thread...Ouch

Music Is Live

<
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 14:34
Well geekfreak, I think most on this thread would be thrilled if we could get Flower Kings albums in 5.1.  However, we can't, so we have to talk about how great other bands sound in 5.1 Cry
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 08:00
Cryyes the flower kings, 5.1... but yes you do have to chat somewhere okLOL

Music Is Live

<
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 13:48
This is the Thread we usually just hang our prog-smalls upon....Wink But as you know how I like my prog to be of prodigious length there is no way I could keep it inside a tiny flimsy G-String....hohoho!
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 09:48
Hi all.

A big recommendation from me for progrock.co.uk, a site I recently discovered. They have a great selection of prog at very reasonable prices (though I'm not sure how expensive shipping to the US is). I ordered Minor Giant's On The Road, the 2cd version of Live at the Target by Twelfth Night plus a Citizen Cain cd for £17 inc postage. The parcel arrived very quickly too. Recommended.

I've only heard the Minor Giant so far, really good album, a bit IQ-ish to these ears, though the vocals are a little weak.

Thanks for the recommendation Tom!
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 15:01
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

Hi all.

A big recommendation from me for progrock.co.uk, a site I recently discovered. They have a great selection of prog at very reasonable prices (though I'm not sure how expensive shipping to the US is). I ordered Minor Giant's On The Road, the 2cd version of Live at the Target by Twelfth Night plus a Citizen Cain cd for £17 inc postage. The parcel arrived very quickly too. Recommended.

I've only heard the Minor Giant so far, really good album, a bit IQ-ish to these ears, though the vocals are a little weak.

Yeah, I get a newsletter (email) from them once a month or so.  I have never bought anything, however, because after the currency conversion and shipping, it's considerably more expensive than even someplace like Amazon.  So I get my stuff from Greg Walker, at synphonic, since his prices are very reasonable and shipping cost is pretty low (and he gets literally everything that is released in the prog realm).

I've never heard Minor Giant.  Might have to check them out.........
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 23:52
I'm just going through Stardust We Are, my 4th TFK vinyl, and 6th album of theirs I have. They do stick to a similar path overall, but each and every one of them have such pleasing material it's hard not to love them dearly. A bit of influence from all the 'giants' (especially Yes), and woven into a refreshing, modern context. What's not to like ??
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2015 at 13:39
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Hi all.

Yeah, I get a newsletter (email) from them once a month or so.  I have never bought anything, however, because after the currency conversion and shipping, it's considerably more expensive than even someplace like Amazon.  So I get my stuff from Greg Walker, at synphonic, since his prices are very reasonable and shipping cost is pretty low (and he gets literally everything that is released in the prog realm).

Two disc version - Had to buy it RIGHT-AWAY - one of my all time favourite LIVE CD's...
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 11:00
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I'm just going through Stardust We Are, my 4th TFK vinyl, and 6th album of theirs I have. They do stick to a similar path overall, but each and every one of them have such pleasing material it's hard not to love them dearly. A bit of influence from all the 'giants' (especially Yes), and woven into a refreshing, modern context. What's not to like ??

Consistent, is what someone who was newer to the band than I was, but had heard several albums once said to me about them.  They are certainly consistently excellent, in my view.

Honestly, how many bands have you heard, that are worth listening to, that DO NOT have their own style that makes them recognizable?  I really can't think of too many.  Even Opeth, who I've come to love now that the growling is gone, don't really sound all that different from their earlier days........just cut way back on the distortion (still quite a heavy approach though), added some keys, and got rid of the death growls (they always had some clean vocals).  Some bands do change significantly over time I suppose, but hard core fans can always hear the "sound".  When they can't, is usually when they give up on their favorite and move on to something else.

Edited by infandous - February 20 2015 at 11:01
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2015 at 09:39

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Consistent, is what someone who was newer to the band than I was, but had heard several albums once said to me about them.  They are certainly consistently excellent, in my view.

Honestly, how many bands have you heard, that are worth listening to, that DO NOT have their own style that makes them recognizable?  I really can't think of too many.  Even Opeth, who I've come to love now that the growling is gone, don't really sound all that different from their earlier days........just cut way back on the distortion (still quite a heavy approach though), added some keys, and got rid of the death growls (they always had some clean vocals).  Some bands do change significantly over time I suppose, but hard core fans can always hear the "sound".  When they can't, is usually when they give up on their favorite and move on to something else.

good point.  i've recently been revisiting early floyd as i've also been listening to the classics.  the sound is definitely there with albums like More and Ummagumma.  i'm just really digging that live disc off Umma.  it's just so crazy to me how floyd got so big with such avant-garde and very simple music.  they just found some sort of pleasing formula that touched a lot of people.  it's also interesting to hear the evolution of gilmour's sound.  he was really more an atmosphere player until meddle, where he started soloing more.  

anyway, as much as i hate to say it, i've been warming up to the last TA.  it's really not that bad, if not totally unoriginal.  i'm going to download the new neal morse album.  don't want to go to the trouble of getting the CD.  it's just got some awesome prog by numbers moments.  i'm in the mood for it.  i've also been listening to a bit of Can.  damn, some of their albums were produced so well!
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 03:04
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Hi all.

Two disc version - Had to buy it RIGHT-AWAY - one of my all time favourite LIVE CD's...

Have you received the Twelfth Night yet Rob?  They've done a great job on the remaster of the original disc, it sounds superb!  The second disc is not from the same gig, it's various venues around that time of their career and unfortunately the production isn't fab, to be expected I suppose.  Some great tracks on there - especially Afghan Red my favourite of theirs, just the sound isn't great.

The Citizen Cain cd I got is excellent too, Somewhere But Yesterday.  Heavy Genesis influence, Gabriel soundalike on vox, long tracks.  Could be up your street Rob...... unless you already have it.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 13:45
Yes I have the Double disc - got a nice hand-written note with it from Brian Devoil as-well (I bought it from the bands site!) - I will listen to it with relish shortly - I have put Citizen Cain on my list of band's to explore!
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 14:18
Starprogressive rock band twelfth night are amazing band brilliant live band back in the `80`s cool...
Citizen Cain do have a genesis vibe but I`d say the vocalist sound like Fish to me... 

Music Is Live

<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 422423424425426 486>