Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 429430431432433 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2015 at 15:17
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

See, the new Beardfish spoke to me right away, the title track in particular.  Oddly enough, I'm digging that far more than the new Steven Wilson.

Yeah, I with you there.  What's interesting to me is that the new Wilson album sounds to me very much like Porcupine Tree.  Far more than the previous solo albums did.  If you just pretend that that is what it is, it's more enjoyable.  Well, for me it kind of made it make more sense I guess, musically.

The Beardfish I just felt, and still kind of feel, that it's missing a lot of the energy and fun of the earlier albums.  The awesome grooves that they do just seemed kind of missing.  However, I think some of that might be the production, but the whole album seems much "smoother" than previous ones.  Which to me is not a good thing.  That said, it's actually a very well written and performed album, so I can't dislike it.  Just not one of my favorites from them, but still quite good.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2015 at 15:21
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I've been wanting to mention that on the 3LP Stardust We Are, there's a 'hidden' track that comes after Compassion. It's a synth/electronic piece that goes for about 3-4mins. Anybody can shed some info on this track ?? It's a worthy bonus, either way.

All I know is that it is on my CD version that I bought in 1999 (original Foxtrot label release).  So I don't think it's a bonus just for the vinyl.  I actually didn't notice it on the CD the first couple times I played it, as I just pulled out the CD when Compassion ended and put in CD2.  I think it was probably in the car that I first heard it when I realized that the track was still running and just let it go.  Anyway, it is a pretty cool slab of psychedelia.  I would assume it was just something Roine added in there, but it could be Tomas (or both of them).

Edited by infandous - May 11 2015 at 15:22
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2015 at 01:31
^ Sounds like Tomas noodling around with analog synth patches , but rather than sounding like an 'experiment', it sounds like a properly composed piece. Just a true surprise to have an 'unlisted' track from them. I actually never noticed this because the stylus goes into a 'locked' groove after Compassion, and I thought my tone-arm was just playing up at this point and not automatically returning. I didn't inspect to see the extra track included ahead of it in the grooves.........
BTW, I've always found TFK to be quite original in their approach to Prog - there are influences from all the greats in there (Floyd, Yes, Genesis, Crimso, ELP.....) but blended into create their own sound........and they are GREAT musicians, whoever comes and goes.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2015 at 02:47
Yeah, I have that extra electronic piece at the end of Compassion (what a great song Compassion is by the way) on my standard cd.  As a big fan of electronic music I love this.

A big Thumbs Up from me for Circuline too.  I've not got the album but have been listening to stuff from it recently and it's very good. 

I too rate the SW as no.3 in his catalogue.  I absolutely love the quartet Perfect Life-Routine-Home Invasion-Regret9, but the rest of it is not as strong imho.  I also agree with Mike, this is much more PT-ish than his previous albums.

I think my favourite new album this year is Now We Have Light by Sanguine Hum.  A crazy concept, but the album is great. They are a really difficult band to pigeonhole I have to say.  Some heavy parts, fragile vocals, great musicianship and a bit groovy too.  I've always been a sucker for double albums as well, though this is more of an old school double with a running time of about 85 mins.

Edited by Roj - May 12 2015 at 02:53
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2015 at 03:02
Roj - what's your impression of SW - The Raven ?? Not the right thread here, but.......???
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2015 at 07:47
^Ahh don't worry about that, anything and everything is up for discussion in this thread Wink.  Sometimes we'll go several pages without a mention of TFK.

The Raven is my favourite SW album for sure, I love all the tracks on it.  It's dripping in atmosphere too so that's another plus.  I think he took all his influences, added a modern twist with brilliant production and came up with a cast-iron prog classic.  I really like Insurgentes too, GFD is even better and second only to The Raven in my SW rankings.  I like HCE a lot, just not as much as the previous two.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2015 at 08:08
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

^Ahh don't worry about that, anything and everything is up for discussion in this thread Wink.  Sometimes we'll go several pages without a mention of TFK.

The Raven is my favourite SW album for sure, I love all the tracks on it.  It's dripping in atmosphere too so that's another plus.  I think he took all his influences, added a modern twist with brilliant production and came up with a cast-iron prog classic.  I really like Insurgentes too, GFD is even better and second only to The Raven in my SW rankings.  I like HCE a lot, just not as much as the previous two.
well the three SW albums are classic prog...Winkon the discussion part what is prog, meaning the bands like hmm Japan, as I`ve read SW rates them as prog. I`ve personnel enjoyed there musical output for years. but I`ve never called them prog even Fish too! so are or aren't they prog...LOL
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2015 at 09:34
For the SW stuff, my favorite is still Grace For Drowning.  He really pulls off that early 70's Crimson vibe quite well.  Not terribly original, of course, but I've not really heard anyone else doing a modern take on the Lizard album sound.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2015 at 11:28
^Yeah, I listened to GFD a few weeks back after I'd got the new one.  I still love that album.  You may remember I didn't like Raider II initially, well my bad, that's a piece of music I've grown to love as well.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2015 at 11:51

Yeah, I have that extra electronic piece at the end of Compassion (what a great song Compassion is by the way) on my standard cd.  As a big fan of electronic music I love this.

A big Thumbs Up from me for Circuline too.  I've not got the album but have been listening to stuff from it recently and it's very good. 

I too rate the SW as no.3 in his catalogue.  I absolutely love the quartet Perfect Life-Routine-Home Invasion-Regret9, but the rest of it is not as strong imho.  I also agree with Mike, this is much more PT-ish than his previous albums.

I think my favourite new album this year is Now We Have Light by Sanguine Hum.  A crazy concept, but the album is great. They are a really difficult band to pigeonhole I have to say.  Some heavy parts, fragile vocals, great musicianship and a bit groovy too.  I've always been a sucker for double albums as well, though this is more of an old school double with a running time of about 85 mins.

Sanguine Hum is pretty high up on my list as well.  Very groovy at times, it's a far cry from what I typically listen to but it really works for me.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2015 at 12:09
^ I have only the debut from Sanguine Hum which I got quite recently, I like it but I'm not crazy about it.
I much prefer Sanguine Hum's previous project Antique Seeking Nuns, excellent stuff and quite different from their current sound, anyone of you guys know them?
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2015 at 20:02

^Yeah, I listened to GFD a few weeks back after I'd got the new one.  I still love that album.  You may remember I didn't like Raider II initially, well my bad, that's a piece of music I've grown to love as well.

Seeing that song live on the Raven tour was a revelation.  And I already loved the song.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2015 at 20:03
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

^ I have only the debut from Sanguine Hum which I got quite recently, I like it but I'm not crazy about it.
I much prefer Sanguine Hum's previous project Antique Seeking Nuns, excellent stuff and quite different from their current sound, anyone of you guys know them?

I have yet to hear them, but have seen their name come up quite a bit the past several years.  I guess I may have to check them out......
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2015 at 20:27
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Likewise, I haven't heard of them but they merit some exploration.  I've only heard the current release so I can't even compare their debut to the current one.  This sounds like a job for tomorrow man.

-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2015 at 01:44

I haven't got around to HCE yet, I have an LP copy of it reserved with Syn Phonic, but soon it will come to me.
I gotta say that it's pretty tough to choose between GFD and Raven. Luminol is a total kick-ass track, one of the best he's done. And that monster bass riff from Nick Beggs just seals the deal (my current fave bassist/stickist )
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2015 at 23:06
Listening to Stardust We Are, the only album of theirs I have. I hadn't listened to it for awhile, and had not really gotten too familiar with it before. They don't sound so transparently like Genesis as so many have claimed. It's not exceedingly innovative music, but it is interesting music with its fair share of oddities to keep one on their toes. I don't see why they're so lambasted.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2015 at 00:48
I recently spun GFD after a couple weeks of spinning HCE....Solidified my feeling of GFD as my #2 SW album behind Raven.
Then last night spinning PT-Signify and was finding so many similarities with GFD.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2015 at 01:41
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Listening to Stardust We Are, the only album of theirs I have. I hadn't listened to it for awhile, and had not really gotten too familiar with it before. They don't sound so transparently like Genesis as so many have claimed. It's not exceedingly innovative music, but it is interesting music with its fair share of oddities to keep one on their toes. I don't see why they're so lambasted.
Over time, that's what I've found - there's less Genesis, but more Yes, even Crimso and ELP, yet distinctively sounding quite themselves. These are a mob whose albums to take a patient ear and many spins to 'get around'. I don't even have all their albums, but love each and every one, to varying degrees.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2015 at 12:53
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I recently spun GFD after a couple weeks of spinning HCE....Solidified my feeling of GFD as my #2 SW album behind Raven.
Then last night spinning PT-Signify and was finding so many similarities with GFD.

Yeah, not surprising.  I think HCE could easily have been a PT album.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2015 at 13:45
Working from home this week, so I am letting my digital media player go on shuffle play, not my favorite way to listen to music.....Anyhow on comes TFK and the song Psychedelic Postcard from Flower Power, I have to say it has been a long time since I heard any of this album. But this song caught my attention and I had to take a break and sit and play it again.

To me this is classic TFK.....love it!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 429430431432433 486>