Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 431432433434435 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 22:18
You guys might want to check out United Progressive Fraternity if you haven't already.  It'll blow your knickers off, so please don't listen while in the view of your computer's camera.  WinkTongue  They are the remains of Australian band Unitopia, which is another band that I highly recommend if you haven't checked them out.

Edited by rushfan4 - June 01 2015 at 22:25
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2015 at 02:49
^Mmmm, that sounds interesting.  I'll add it to the ever-growing list of bands I need to check out.  Thanks Scott Thumbs Up.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2015 at 11:00
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

You guys might want to check out United Progressive Fraternity if you haven't already.  It'll blow your knickers off, so please don't listen while in the view of your computer's camera.  WinkTongue  They are the remains of Australian band Unitopia, which is another band that I highly recommend if you haven't checked them out.

Pffft, turn off my camera, where's the fun in that?
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2015 at 19:38
I am watching the Instant Delivery DVD and again left to question why so many PA prog fans hate the Flower Kings.  They are so damn good. 
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2015 at 07:54

I am watching the Instant Delivery DVD and again left to question why so many PA prog fans hate the Flower Kings.  They are so damn good. 

Quoted for truth.

That's an excellent DVD, much more of a true concert experience when compared to Meet The Flower Kings.
Siloportem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siloportem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2015 at 09:28
Gents,

I just got my delivery from their webshop and there's a postcard in their for a banks of eden tour live album (live in Europe). But there's no release date and it's not in the shop yet.

Any of you members of the fanclub? Do any of you know the official release date?

Thanks !! Your topics always so good and informative. I like you talk.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2015 at 11:47
Siloportem, there is no Flower Kings fan club anymore.  There is a facebook group that is called the Flower Kings fan club (https://www.facebook.com/groups/908494075873543/), but it's not a fan club in the sense of paying dues and getting special stuff.  That said, Roine has mentioned a Banks live album in the past, but I've heard nothing about it for a while now.

Edited by infandous - June 25 2015 at 11:47
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2015 at 11:59
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

Quoted for truth.

That's an excellent DVD, much more of a true concert experience when compared to Meet The Flower Kings.

Personally, for the true concert experience I much prefer Tour Kaputt.  However, Instant Delivery does show that the TFK's can really ROCK!  I just feel like the drummer, Marcus, kind of keeps them from doing their over the top prog thing.  It really feels like a rock show more than a prog show, which is cool and an interesting difference from the other two DVD's, but it's definitely my least favorite of the three (but still very good, naturally).

Edited by infandous - June 25 2015 at 12:00
Siloportem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siloportem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2015 at 12:10
Thanks. Now I worry that I'm misunderstanding the card. They could be talking about the tour regarding the new album banks of eden. But I just can't imagine them including advertising for something that was 3 years ago!

Too bad I don't have facebook.

I agree that Tour Kaputt is the better live album. But I'm biased, I really like sum of no evil.
Thanks !! Your topics always so good and informative. I like you talk.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2015 at 18:27
I'm in the process of makin' a cover of Humanizzimo (IMO it's THE finest track by Roine ever), so I thought I'd share what I alread have here in this thread.
Behold: my version of the "Flower of Love" climax.

Edited by Hrychu - June 28 2015 at 18:29
Big Kid Josie View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Kid Josie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2015 at 13:27
In particular, I'm fond of Welcome Back to the World of Adventures and Retropolis...great proggy instrumental breaks in a lot of those songs...I got Flower Power and was somewhat disappointed with the epic song Garden of Dreams on it; it felt disjointed.  Loved Banks of Eden...they are a great band! 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2015 at 11:32
Any word on new TFK material/album?
Brimstone View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brimstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2015 at 13:07
Last I heard from Roine they had no solid plans regarding a new studio disc. He expected them to start writing this summer, but who knows.

What he DID know is that he's going on tour with Steve Hackett, most likely doing an album with Kaipa DaCapo early next year and mixing a live TFK album from the last couple tours. Not quite sure if anything else has come up since then. Maybe someone else can chime in that knows some new stuff.
I play music for a living
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2015 at 10:20
Originally posted by Brimstone Brimstone wrote:

Last I heard from Roine they had no solid plans regarding a new studio disc. He expected them to start writing this summer, but who knows.

What he DID know is that he's going on tour with Steve Hackett, most likely doing an album with Kaipa DaCapo early next year and mixing a live TFK album from the last couple tours. Not quite sure if anything else has come up since then. Maybe someone else can chime in that knows some new stuff.

You pretty much summed it up.  I have not heard any different, Roine has been quiet for a while now (aside from the Hackett announcement).

Edited by infandous - July 10 2015 at 10:21
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2015 at 09:00
Just to keep the thread alive...............

Recently been listening to Desolation Rose again.  It's a very sold FK album in my opinion.  Not their best, but not my least favorite by a long shot.  I tend to think of the bonus CD as just "CD2", since to me the album feels like a double (unlike Banks, which seems like a 70 minute CD broken up into two CD's).  Anyway, it is a bit different, probably due to the approach of going into the studio with nothing written ahead of time.  I think this one is going to get pulled out more than most of what they've done since Space Revolver (for me, anyway) with the notable exception of TSoNE (which is still my favorite thing they've done since SR).
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2015 at 08:10
^I certainly like the "bonus" disc from Desolation Rose as much if not more than the main disc.  My mp3 player for some reason placed both discs together on one file, disc 1 track 1 then disc 2 track 1, disc 1 track 2 then disc 2 track 2 Confused.  I find I tend to like the "extras" a bit better.  Especially Interstellar Visitations which (as I've no doubt said before) is a TFK top 20 track for me.

I've not listened to TFK much lately but a few days back Monster Within came up on shuffle, followed immediately by Last Minute on Earth.  I guess just like the old saying about buses.......
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2015 at 12:45
'ello mates!

hope all is well.  i've been in Grateful Dead land for last few months with their big 50th celebration and my having a handful of gigs this summer with my dead cover band.

with the passing of chris squire, though, i'm back on a prog kick.  i really loved his singing and bass playing, so i'm digging deep to give some stuff i initially dismissed a second chance.  actually been listening to open your eyes.  peculiar album, but lots of squire singing.  def an big sherwood influence.  the ladder is actually pretty good.  probably the best ladder day album.  i've also been checking out some billy sherwood as well as conspiracy.

busted out Rainmaker last week.  most of it holds up.  still have tour kaput on my wish list and really haven't given desolation much time.  could not get into the latest HFMC.  the latest flying colors has it's moments.  

did any of you get to see yes?  i wasn't into them until the late 90s.  got to see them in 2002, i think, when wakeman was just coming back, yet again.  it was so damn great!  they were all there at the top of their game.  not too old yet and a killer setlist including south side, revealing science and america.  also saw them with the next two lead singers.  not too bad.  the last time was a snooze.  downes messes up a lot live.  just hits wrong patches etc.  and the tempos are so slow.  i'll be curious to see what happens now.  i can definitely see howe continuing, but not sure with sherwood.  didn't they have some issues?  anyway, i'm sure there will be some shows with Jon in the future before it's all over. 
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2015 at 16:27
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Just to keep the thread alive...............

Recently been listening to Desolation Rose again.  It's a very sold FK album in my opinion.  Not their best, but not my least favorite by a long shot.  I tend to think of the bonus CD as just "CD2", since to me the album feels like a double (unlike Banks, which seems like a 70 minute CD broken up into two CD's).  Anyway, it is a bit different, probably due to the approach of going into the studio with nothing written ahead of time.  I think this one is going to get pulled out more than most of what they've done since Space Revolver (for me, anyway) with the notable exception of TSoNE (which is still my favorite thing they've done since SR).

I spin (vinyl) DR quite often, the bonus tracks are really good IMO...but I have really been into Stardust We Are.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2015 at 03:00
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

did any of you get to see yes?  i wasn't into them until the late 90s.  got to see them in 2002, i think, when wakeman was just coming back, yet again.  it was so damn great!  they were all there at the top of their game.  not too old yet and a killer setlist including south side, revealing science and america.  also saw them with the next two lead singers.  not too bad.  the last time was a snooze.  downes messes up a lot live.  just hits wrong patches etc.  and the tempos are so slow.  i'll be curious to see what happens now.  i can definitely see howe continuing, but not sure with sherwood.  didn't they have some issues?  anyway, i'm sure there will be some shows with Jon in the future before it's all over. 

Yeah, I've seen them twice.  First time was on the 90125 tour.  I was so disappointed as I was a huge fan and expected all the old classics.  What we got was all of 90125 and a smattering of old tracks (can't remember the setlist but I know they played no real classics - none of my favourites) with godawful sound in a massive aircraft hangar.  The acoustics were shocking and all you could hear were Rabin's metal guitar licks.

Then I saw them last year and what a contrast.  I had a seat on the front row of the circle, fabulous view.  They played the full Yes Album, GFTO and CTTE.  Amazing show.  Ok Alan White is a shadow of his former self, appears happy to just drift along.  Howe and Squire were fantastic, as was Jon Davison.  Downes bludgeoned Awaken slightly but generally was good.  If that is the end for Yes, at least the final time I saw them was a fitting finale.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 01:27

Picked up Adam & Eve for a few bucks at a local shop.....I bought it 'cause I thought the opening track was some sort of prog Coltrane cover.  Liked the opening track and a few others, but the stuff just never hit me.....I can sense great musicianship but the material lets down the playing (and those lyrics....yikes!).  I'll keep my eyes open for some of their more well-liked albums.....I think even TFK fans are down on A&E.

I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 431432433434435 486>