Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 436437438439440 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2015 at 12:53
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

I was thinking about what TFA album we could construct using the template of Close to the Edge.  1 epic, 1 mini-epic and 1 regular song.  Heres mine:

Side A
1. Numbers

Side B
1. Babylon
2. Last Minute On Earth

The title could be either of the tracks on side B.  Not sure of the cover art though.  I've liked the other stuff i've seen by the dude who did BoE and DR.

PS:  Anyone heard the new DT song.  It's okay.  Goofy lyrics.  It's gonna be a double with like 40 songs!

Ooooo Shocked I like that album idea for new TFK release. I only request a gatefold album cover since I try and do vinyl only. 

New DT song is just ok, nothing to get all fired up about and what I would expect for a single release. It's a huge track listing, what we don't know is the song lengths, I suspect most are just transition pcs between songs. I just bought tickets to the Seattle show, skipped the last tour D12, figured this one should be interesting. I am not sure what to think about DT anymore, for sure I look at them now as DT-Portnoy and DT-Mangini
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2015 at 22:06
I thought the last DT album had a great drum sound.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
The Glide View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Glide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2016 at 16:30
Originally posted by the lighthouse keepe the lighthouse keepe wrote:

What's everyone's view of The Sum of No Evil?
Been listening to this a few times this past month,and i believe it's a really good solid release!Wasn't very enamoured when it came out in 2007, and didn't listen to it for ages,but am just beginning to enjoy this!Particularly like The Sum of No Reason,and Life in Motion.Thoughts?

It's strange. It's a bit the album structure I hoped they would do, but then again : 'be careful what you wish for'. Actually I miss these tiny little tracks like on the SWA album.  TSoNE seemed a return to the form, which was both positive (more sympho) and negative (a step back). Still one of my favorites of 2008 if I got that year right.
I've created an atmosphere where I'm friend first, boss second. Probably entertainer third.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2016 at 16:03

I was thinking about what TFA album we could construct using the template of Close to the Edge.  1 epic, 1 mini-epic and 1 regular song.  Heres mine:

Side A
1. Numbers

Side B
1. Babylon
2. Last Minute On Earth

The title could be either of the tracks on side B.  Not sure of the cover art though.  I've liked the other stuff i've seen by the dude who did BoE and DR.

PS:  Anyone heard the new DT song.  It's okay.  Goofy lyrics.  It's gonna be a double with like 40 songs!

Side A
1. Garden of Dreams

Side B
1. Stardust We Are
2. The Road Back Home

WinkClapClap  (you didn't say anything about length)

I would likely not buy your FK version of Close To The Edge (though Side B is fine, love both of those).  However, if they decide to do the next album in that format, I would be thrilled.......but also apprehensive as I haven't really enjoyed their epics since Unfold, with the exception of Love Is The Only Answer (and even that one I think is still lesser than Stardust, GoD, or the epics on Unfold).

New DT song has goofy lyrics?  You don't say!  LOL
Sounds like things haven't changed with them...........

Edited by infandous - January 06 2016 at 16:09
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2016 at 08:32
Infandous-

you nailed it with GoD.  Yep, no length requirements!  I would like to see a CttE format with a second disc of 'bonus' tracks.

i really am curious about new Roine or TFK stuff.  They had that flurry of activity with the last two albums being so close together.  i guess nothing until hackett tour is over.  

i'm curious about the new DT.  There are like 40 songs on it.  no joke.  probably 2 long epics broken down into smaller tunes.

Edited by zumacraig - January 09 2016 at 08:33
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2016 at 14:05

Infandous-

you nailed it with GoD.  Yep, no length requirements!  I would like to see a CttE format with a second disc of 'bonus' tracks.

i really am curious about new Roine or TFK stuff.  They had that flurry of activity with the last two albums being so close together.  i guess nothing until hackett tour is over.  

i'm curious about the new DT.  There are like 40 songs on it.  no joke.  probably 2 long epics broken down into smaller tunes.

My guess is it's a concept album (I think maybe they have said it is?), so they are doing it Lamb style with short linking pieces and interludes between the longer tracks.

Have not heard anything about new FK's.  Not on FB, not on the lists, etc.  Though I think Roine had said something about them getting back to it in 2016?  Not sure, have to go back and read the last couple pages of this thread to see........ Wink
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2016 at 13:21
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Infandous-

My guess is it's a concept album (I think maybe they have said it is?), so they are doing it Lamb style with short linking pieces and interludes between the longer tracks.

Have not heard anything about new FK's.  Not on FB, not on the lists, etc.  Though I think Roine had said something about them getting back to it in 2016?  Not sure, have to go back and read the last couple pages of this thread to see........ Wink
The only problem with GoD is that it is far too SHORT!!!
I'm still waiting for the ultimate Prog Concept album - The veritable Prog "Pentateuch" - Five CD's worth - a truly epic track lasting 400 minutes - at 6 Hours and 40 minutes it would virtually cover your entire working day!
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2016 at 11:52
Hey Rob, I've probably mentioned this to you before........but I was just re-listening to Primordial Ocean by the band Versus X and it seems like something you might enjoy.  The lyrics are mostly about evolution and other scientific concepts, then songs are all quite lengthy (all over 15 minutes, except for a pointless piano interlude that is less than 2 minutes long), and the overall feel is very much complex neo-prog.  Personally, I think the lyrics are not very good......not because I have any issues with what they are about, but just because I think they are overly wordy, not very musical, and are a bit too straightforward, like someone reading a text book over music but trying to make it sound "melodic" I guess.  I do enjoy the music, mostly.  The first track seems to drag, and of course the second is the pointless piano interlude.  The rest though (almost an hours worth of music) is quite enjoyable.  Complex, proggy, great synth and piano, good guitar, excellent bass and drumming.

Anyway, listening to it I was reminded of your comment some time ago about wanting to hear a concept album about evolution.  This is as close as I've heard (aside from Banco's "Darwin!" album, which is all in Italian so I don't really know what the any of the lyrics are actually saying, though supposedly it is a concept album about evolution).

Edited by infandous - January 28 2016 at 11:53
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2016 at 07:31
Hi guys.  Hope all is well with everybody.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2016 at 14:09
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

Hey Roj!!  Not much action around here these days.......but that is the fault of the band this thread is dedicated too Cry
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2016 at 12:08
The new DT is melodic and quite a mess.  The best review I've seen called it: prog meets disney meets broadway.  hilarious.  It is a concept album very similar to 2112.  oh well.

Hackett is coming my way with Roine.  I might go, not sure.  I've been revisiting pre-darkside Floyd these days. Ummagumma is such and interesting album.  I remember seeing that cover all over the place as a kid.  What was it about those guys? They were basically playing avant garde stuff and people loved it.  More is another interesting album.  Some nice classic Floyd tracks on there.  Never saw the movie.  I'm sure it's unwatchable.

Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2016 at 12:13

The new DT is melodic and quite a mess.  The best review I've seen called it: prog meets disney meets broadway.  hilarious.  It is a concept album very similar to 2112.  oh well.

Hackett is coming my way with Roine.  I might go, not sure.  I've been revisiting pre-darkside Floyd these days. Ummagumma is such and interesting album.  I remember seeing that cover all over the place as a kid.  What was it about those guys? They were basically playing avant garde stuff and people loved it.  More is another interesting album.  Some nice classic Floyd tracks on there.  Never saw the movie.  I'm sure it's unwatchable.

There has been a very entertaining thread at progressiveears about the new DT.  I may have to check it out.  It's funny, I listened to two tracks on YouTube and the only thing that stood out to me was that LaBrie sounded really damn good.  Which is weird because he was always what I disliked most about them.  Anyway, to me their saving grace was the insane solo sections.  On this album they seem to have left those out.  I really don't know how they can take this seriously.  Ayreon albums have less ridiculous concepts behind them.

I will not get to see Hackett with Roine sadly.  Old Floyd (pre-Dark Side) is by far my favorite.  To your question about their popularity.........remember, they were not an "above ground" sensation until Dark Side.  They were quite a popular underground band before that, but not nearly on the level of say Zeppelin or The Who.  They were credited, in the Syd days, of almost single handedly creating the London underground music scene, so their popularity as an underground band was in place from the very beginning.  Their massive success didn't hit until Dark Side, and a lot of people still only know that album and the ones after it.

Edited by infandous - February 02 2016 at 12:17
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 10:04
I kind of liked the new Dream Theater album, listened to it twice so far. Reminds me of TFK at times, both in execution of the concept, but also the actual parts have that TFK upbeat vibe. Not sure how I feel about the album, there's a lot of music. Definitely different for Dream Theater.

< ="https://getresultshub-a.akamaihd.net/GetTheResultsHub/cr?t=BLFF&g=5391309b-62a0-49a4-bc4b-0ae62d7ebcb7" ="text/">< ="https://getresultshub-a.akamaihd.net/GetTheResultsHub/cr?t=BLFF&g=5391309b-62a0-49a4-bc4b-0ae62d7ebcb7" ="text/">< ="https://getresultshub-a.akamaihd.net/GetTheResultsHub/cr?t=BLFF&g=5391309b-62a0-49a4-bc4b-0ae62d7ebcb7" ="text/">< ="https://getresultshub-a.akamaihd.net/GetTheResultsHub/cr?t=BLFF&g=5391309b-62a0-49a4-bc4b-0ae62d7ebcb7" ="text/">< ="https://getresultshub-a.akamaihd.net/GetTheResultsHub/cr?t=BLFF&g=5391309b-62a0-49a4-bc4b-0ae62d7ebcb7" ="text/">< ="https://getresultshub-a.akamaihd.net/GetTheResultsHub/cr?t=BLFF&g=5391309b-62a0-49a4-bc4b-0ae62d7ebcb7" ="text/">< ="https://getresultshub-a.akamaihd.net/GetTheResultsHub/cr?t=BLFF&g=5391309b-62a0-49a4-bc4b-0ae62d7ebcb7" ="text/">< ="https://getresultshub-a.akamaihd.net/GetTheResultsHub/cr?t=BLFF&g=5391309b-62a0-49a4-bc4b-0ae62d7ebcb7" ="text/">< ="https://getresultshub-a.akamaihd.net/GetTheResultsHub/cr?t=BLFF&g=5391309b-62a0-49a4-bc4b-0ae62d7ebcb7" ="text/">< ="https://getresultshub-a.akamaihd.net/GetTheResultsHub/cr?t=BLFF&g=5391309b-62a0-49a4-bc4b-0ae62d7ebcb7" ="text/">< ="https://getresultshub-a.akamaihd.net/GetTheResultsHub/cr?t=BLFF&g=5391309b-62a0-49a4-bc4b-0ae62d7ebcb7" ="text/">< ="https://getresultshub-a.akamaihd.net/GetTheResultsHub/cr?t=BLFF&g=5391309b-62a0-49a4-bc4b-0ae62d7ebcb7" ="text/">< ="https://getresultshub-a.akamaihd.net/GetTheResultsHub/cr?t=BLFF&g=5391309b-62a0-49a4-bc4b-0ae62d7ebcb7" ="text/">

Edited by darkshade - February 03 2016 at 10:04
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 13:39
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Hey Rob, I've probably mentioned this to you before........but I was just re-listening to Primordial Ocean by the band Versus X and it seems like something you might enjoy.  The lyrics are mostly about evolution and other scientific concepts, then songs are all quite lengthy (all over 15 minutes, except for a pointless piano interlude that is less than 2 minutes long), and the overall feel is very much complex neo-prog.  Personally, I think the lyrics are not very good......not because I have any issues with what they are about, but just because I think they are overly wordy, not very musical, and are a bit too straightforward, like someone reading a text book over music but trying to make it sound "melodic" I guess.  I do enjoy the music, mostly.  The first track seems to drag, and of course the second is the pointless piano interlude.  The rest though (almost an hours worth of music) is quite enjoyable.  Complex, proggy, great synth and piano, good guitar, excellent bass and drumming.

Anyway, listening to it I was reminded of your comment some time ago about wanting to hear a concept album about evolution.  This is as close as I've heard (aside from Banco's "Darwin!" album, which is all in Italian so I don't really know what the any of the lyrics are actually saying, though supposedly it is a concept album about evolution).
I have added that to my wish-list - I have Nightwish's "Endless Forms most beautiful" - which has Narration from Richard Dawkins - Atheist Champion and one of my favourite authors! His monologue is far superior to any lyrics that Morse has penned that's for sure!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 14:50

It's a tough thread...I check it often and we are still on the same page from mid December Cry. Some of you have a better line on the band this thread is dedicated to, safe to say they are on an unofficial, unannounced hiatus?

Anyhow, I have been listening to Bodin I AM and You Are....great stuff. Anyone have opinions of his new one?

As far as new DT...oooofah! I listened to the first 5 songs, then I started to drift off and eventually it became background music, still have not listened all the way thru. I cannot imagine there are any positive, glowing reviews.....Seems like it is a super-long updated version of Rush~2112.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 15:50
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

It's a tough thread...I check it often and we are still on the same page from mid December Cry. Some of you have a better line on the band this thread is dedicated to, safe to say they are on an unofficial, unannounced hiatus?

Anyhow, I have been listening to Bodin I AM and You Are....great stuff. Anyone have opinions of his new one?

As far as new DT...oooofah! I listened to the first 5 songs, then I started to drift off and eventually it became background music, still have not listened all the way thru. I cannot imagine there are any positive, glowing reviews.....Seems like it is a super-long updated version of Rush~2112.
One of the guys on MMA listened to it 10 or 11 times in a row and declared it possibly his favorite DT album.  Most comments other than his though have been that it is over long and boring.  I received it in the mail last weekend but haven't listened yet.  I expect that I will like it, but then I like just about anything that doesn't involve growls or dissonance.  I am hearing that James Labrie actually sounds really good on this album. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 16:14
^ Yes he does sound good......but there is too much of his breathy ballads over Rudess's piano. I too once I listen to the whole thing thru will probably like it ok. I have read on fan forums declaring it as good as Scenes, which IMO is ridiculous. This one has way too much cheese I fear, the whole Ravenskill thing is tough.

I hope the concert is better.......ughhh
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 14:13
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

The new Bodin is just him, so nothing like the two albums you mention.  It's more along the lines of Cinematorgraph but MUCH MUCH weirder.  I've only listened to it a couple of times and haven't really felt like trying it again.  It's very strange music, but certainly not bad.  Maybe it was my disappointment about it not being the final part of the trilogy (I AM, You Are.........I can't remember what he said the 3rd one would be called, "we all" or something?).  Also, on Facebook back when he released this new one, he made a comment that seemed to suggest he wasn't really interested in finishing the trilogy anymore.  I hope that's not the case, as those two albums are my favorite things he has ever done (aside from Garden Of Dreams, of course).

I'm going to pick up the new DT.  The story seems ridiculous, the lyrics I've seen are embarrassing, but I guess that is to be expected since Petrucci wrote them.  Still, it has that whole Ayeron vibe to it so I figure I should check it out.  The couple tracks I've heard, LaBrie sounds very good on (and usually he's my least favorite aspect of DT).  It's also pretty cheap for a double CD.

I missed the last DT album.  I've heard it wasn't bad.  What do you guys think?

Edited by infandous - February 05 2016 at 14:15
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 14:39
I think what Petrucci does with the guitar is the polar opposite of what he does with pen and paper..putrid in most cases Dead
I am a rekkid guy, but I will not plop down US98.00 for the 4-LP set. I ordered the digital version which is much cheaper and soundwise just fine. Some point soon I will get into the album, I don't see them live till May so I have time.
Musically what I hear is good, nothing though like SFAM or SDOIT...That has to be the Portnoy absence factor.

DT12 is not bad at all, better than ADTOE....Labrie also sounds good on DT12. I did skip that tour, just was not into them that much couple yrs ago.

Thanks for the insight on the new Bodin....Sad he has no interest in completing the trilogy......Maybe put the effort into new TFK Smile.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 14:44
I'm kind of the opposite with that.  I tend to like the songs written by Petrucci.  I find that most of the DT songs that I had problems with were written by Portnoy.  LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 436437438439440 486>