Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 446447448449450 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoeDent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2017 at 14:09
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

As good as the Golden Era? Maybe not but what is? Seriously. Nothing tops those classic Prog albums. Nothing ever will. 

I beg to differ. The scene is far more vibrant than it was in the 70s. The technology is bringing us ever more fascinating sound possibilities. The new formats enable ever greater epics. This is the real golden era. Right here, right now. The pioneers did many great things in the 70s, and their legacy is continued in the great bands of this generation.
EGallager View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EGallager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2017 at 16:17
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

There are plenty of great modern Prog records out there. The Flower Kings put out a bunch, Transatlantic is amazing, and The Neal Morse Band's most recent, The Similitude Of A Dream, is 10/10.

Opeth, The Tangent, Riverside, Steven Wilson, Pain Of Salvation, Karmakanic, Knifeworld. It's a great time to be a fan of this music. As good as the Golden Era? Maybe not but what is? Seriously. Nothing tops those classic Prog albums. Nothing ever will. 

I have to agree, having not lived through the Golden Era, 2016 saw some pretty good things, definitely a lot to like with prog right now. I got into prog by ways of Heavy Metal and tend to like the heavier groups but also love TFK and Spocks. Given the list above I would also throw in Haken, loving their new album. IQ is another one, hope they get some new stuff for us soon. And yes, Similitude is amazing, just saw them play it live last week in Denver!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2017 at 14:36
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

This site is VERY quiet at the moment? Why?

The site in general I assume you mean Rob? I would have to agree....Honestly I come here to check this thread and the Vinyl thread for some of my other black wax buddies, to see what they are buying.

But to discuss music not so much. I have found the Steve Hoffman forums much more to my liking recently, I am not ragging PA, it may just be in a funk right now.
But there are soooooo many members at Hoffman and a new thread will go to 5-6 pages within an hour. There was a really good discussion starting this morning about PF Saucer/Secrets and krautrock.

Plus Hoffman is good for me and vinyl, tons of info......again PA just seems to be in a funk right now and I am sure it will get righted.

Especially once we get news on new TFK material!!!!!!!!!! LOL
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2017 at 16:53
There's a good TFK thread over at progressive ears. Nice write up of last years TFK family releases and some speculation on the future. There's a 'new' interview posted there from prog-shine. Some interesting stuff. Roine makes it sound like it is the rest of the band that is keeping TFK from happening. Mmm. 

I have not dug into A/S or De Capo, much less Dot. I'm looking forward to Roger Waters tour this year and maybe his new album. A teaser is up on his site and it's got a classic PF vibe to it.

Incidentally, been listening to A+E lately. I think Love Supreme is very much in vein with what I've heard from TIoK. It's such a great, uplifting epic, especially in these times. I that album would've been so much better with other artwork (worst cover) a shortened track list and maybe a bonus disc of outtakes like Vampire song etc. And, calling it A Love Supreme. I know Roine was toying with calling it that. He could get away with it given the great music on there.

Anyway friends, I've got so much prog to catch up with. We are definitely in a time of deluge. Too much to listen to much less give appropriate time to.

Peace!

Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 13:30
^ Well that certainly is my case too, a lot of music to listen to and not time to comment on. I'll have to check out prog ears, would like some new prog sites to investigate.

A&E is one of my favorite albums and LS is one of my fav songs, for too many reasons.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2017 at 16:33
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

There's a good TFK thread over at progressive ears. Nice write up of last years TFK family releases and some speculation on the future. There's a 'new' interview posted there from prog-shine. Some interesting stuff. Roine makes it sound like it is the rest of the band that is keeping TFK from happening. Mmm. 

I have not dug into A/S or De Capo, much less Dot. I'm looking forward to Roger Waters tour this year and maybe his new album. A teaser is up on his site and it's got a classic PF vibe to it.

Incidentally, been listening to A+E lately. I think Love Supreme is very much in vein with what I've heard from TIoK. It's such a great, uplifting epic, especially in these times. I that album would've been so much better with other artwork (worst cover) a shortened track list and maybe a bonus disc of outtakes like Vampire song etc. And, calling it A Love Supreme. I know Roine was toying with calling it that. He could get away with it given the great music on there.

Anyway friends, I've got so much prog to catch up with. We are definitely in a time of deluge. Too much to listen to much less give appropriate time to.

Peace!

Well, you know how I feel about A&E Wink  It's still my least favorite FK album.  That said, it's still pretty good.  The opening epic though......it has it's moments but it just drags for me.  TIoK does not do that.

In any case, I've been listening to old and new stuff.......picked up King Crimson The Great Deceiver (the two double CD sets of the music that was on the box set in the 90's) and Frank Zappa Little Dots.  The Great Deceiver material (all live stuff from 73, 74) is outstanding.  I've heard some of it before, but it's nice to have it all.  Haven't spun the Zappa yet, but it's from the "Petite Wazoo" band of the early 70's.

I dig the Kaipa De Capo, but it's not the FK's.  Almost makes me think of a more epic Agents of Mercy with Michael Stolt on vocals instead of Nad.  Something like that.  Worth listening to though, just for the guitar solos.

Edited by infandous - February 10 2017 at 16:34
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 12:02
So Tomas is giving away his music via soundcloud. Not all of it though. Kind of weird.

Thoughts?

Infandous, you don't like A+E?!!!
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 13:18
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

So Tomas is giving away his music via soundcloud. Not all of it though. Kind of weird.

Thoughts?

Infandous, you don't like A+E?!!!

I think you know my feelings pretty well by now LOL  I would never say I don't like it, just that it's my least favorite.  It's really not a bad album, just still find it very disappointing even after all these years  (I bought it the day it was released.......after Unfold it was just such a huge let down......but I've come to appreciate some of the tracks over the years since).

As to Tomas, not really sure why he's doing that.  He should at least do a "name your price" type of thing.  I'm sure none of his albums sold very well, but still.  Seems like giving up to just put them up for free.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 01:52
I've only got Stardust and Genesis tribute alum where they covered Cinema Show.  Never really dug in deeper.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2017 at 18:17
bump

any news on roine's new supergroup?

listened to TA last week. couldn't get through it. not sure that stuff holds up.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2017 at 21:16
To those who may be new to this site or maybe are just wondering who the Flower Kings are or what they sound like here's a little bit of a summary. Take the best parts of classic Yes(ie close to the edge, ritual or awaken) and the best parts of classic Genesis(cinema show, in the cage and in that quiet earth for example) and put them together with a bit of a more modern approach and maybe just a tiny bit of neo prog and you have the Flower Kings. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2017 at 22:32
I know very little Flower Kings. Mostly their last two albums, which I have, and I have heard a few times some songs on YouTube... but in general, I have been rather underwhelmed. Perhaps I need to try a real classic from them. And in general, I apreciate Roine Stolt as a great guitar player, but I usually end up with a feeling that it could be still better. The Kaipa albums were good, but I feel they don't reach the greatness of the british giants (though I just got Solo, and I think I actually liked it better than their first two albums, but I still have to hear it more). From Transatlantic I really love "The Whirlwind", but the others may sound just a bit too prog formulaic (specially the last one). And the collaboration with Jon Anderson really was a disapointment... nothing that I would really hate on that one, but nothing I can really enjoy either, unless I just want to listen to some prog without really paying attention at it. However, I just got the Kaipa do Capo album (along with Solo), and I really liked it a lot (not as much as The Whirlwind, but it's perhaps the next best thing I have heard with Stolt Involved, as little as I know from him). So, anyone else has liked that Kaipa do Capo album too?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2017 at 22:38
......and I would like to spin my triple vinyl of Stardust.......but somehow, some Extreme Metal gets in the way....... (Seems I'm mostly in a 'Metal Zone' in recent months, broken up with occasional other things).
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2017 at 08:44
I love the Kaipa Da Kapo album, though I don't think it's as good as most TFK albums.  You definitely need to go with something earlier by TFK's.  I'd suggest Stardust We Are or Space Revolver as good examples of their best work (if you are feeling more adventurous, Unfold The Future is a  great album as well).

As to Roine's super group, I have not heard anything, though I saw he played a gig with Rikard of Beardfish and the bootcut drummer (also Rikard solo).  He was playing bass with them, as a three piece, so I don't think that would qualify as a "supergroup", but I do wonder now if this new group will involve Rikard.  That would be awesome, IMO.
Pelata View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2017 at 12:57
I've been digging back into TFK this week...spun 'The Rainmaker' twice. It's crazy how great stuff sounds after spending time away.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2017 at 15:00
I've been dipping my toes in TFK, recently. Karmakanic too. Haven't heard their new album.
beeebon View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeebon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2017 at 00:46
I've still not heard anything by The Flower Kings but I intend to do so soon.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2017 at 10:53
TFK are always in my rotation, whether I am home spinning rekkids or on the train to work with ear buds. Although clearly like others I am awaiting news of new TFK music.

I am kinda getting tired of some of these bands and their side projects that just take away time from what I consider their main gig. Off topic, for example not sure we will ever get new Porcupine Tree which would SUX!!

And starting to wonder about TFK. Although for me, Anderson/Stolt was pretty close to a TFK album.
beeebon View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeebon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2017 at 03:07
Well I have just ordered Banks Of Eden. Looking forward to receiving it and checking it out :)
Zappy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2017 at 06:43
beauty of an album if you ask me. I've spun it at least once a month since it's release and I still haven't gotten tired of it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 446447448449450 486>