Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 447448449450451 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2017 at 07:11
found the flower kings albums interesting form of utter escapism...
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2017 at 15:18
Originally posted by beeebon beeebon wrote:

Well I have just ordered Banks Of Eden. Looking forward to receiving it and checking it out :)

That's a great starting point, I think. Every album from TFK's is excellent though. I love them all!!!
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoeDent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2017 at 07:52
I've been reacquainting myself with Stardust We Are in recent days. I'd forgotten what an incredible song the title track is!
beeebon View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeebon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 05:41
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Originally posted by beeebon beeebon wrote:

Well I have just ordered Banks Of Eden. Looking forward to receiving it and checking it out :)

That's a great starting point, I think. Every album from TFK's is excellent though. I love them all!!!

I've had it for a week or two now and really dig it. Definitey going to get more of their albums
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2017 at 05:50
spaced out overload on TFK............hmmm peaceful happiness and wow wee brain in zonked out mode yep!!  
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2017 at 17:35
Back in the World of Adventures > Retropolis > Stardust We Are
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2017 at 08:30
Originally posted by maryes maryes wrote:

Back in the World of Adventures > Retropolis > Stardust We Are

I'd reverse that...
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2017 at 09:02
I recently found out that The Flower Kings are done. It's kind of sad but I guess the members are just too busy with other projects. I don't think there was ever an official announcement but it seems to be the case regardless.

Anyway, I was recently listening to their last one Desolation Rose. I have trouble getting into it. In my opinion it's definitely not one of their better albums. I would put it right above Adam and Eve in their catalog. Not the best way for them to go out. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2017 at 10:05
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I recently found out that The Flower Kings are done. It's kind of sad but I guess the members are just too busy with other projects. I don't think there was ever an official announcement but it seems to be the case regardless.

Anyway, I was recently listening to their last one Desolation Rose. I have trouble getting into it. In my opinion it's definitely not one of their better albums. I would put it right above Adam and Eve in their catalog. Not the best way for them to go out. 

Well that really sucks large volumes of SUCKA$$!! Getting tired of all these project groups/supergroups, I don't consider these type of bands to have a musical direction, consistently.

Yea DR is just a good album 2.5-3Star, I do like it but does have a lot of filler songs. I'm a fan of A&E so for me would be the reverse.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2017 at 11:23
I don't think the songwriting on A&E is very good. The instrumental sections are very strong but the actual songs don't really hold up for me. Their albums after Space Revolver are hit and miss for me. Even Paradox Hotel is not as good as most of the ones before it although still good. 

Actually to be totally honest I probably prefer the bonus disc of DR more than the proper cd. It has more instrumental stuff and sometimes that's where they really shine.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2017 at 12:18
I don't pay attention to most lyrics, they're all made up stuff anyhoo...Big smile. For me TFK are about the musicianship, that's what I like.
That's one album I have a tough time with Paradox Hotel.

I mean seriously, do you think Roine and Jon will do another album together?? I think that was a one and done project.....That's the krapp I hate with these projects.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2017 at 13:50
I own the first 7 albums and they are all good imho (favorites being the first three )......but I was disappointed in Adam and Eve so I stopped exploring their music .
For my education what bands have they morphed into and are they worth checking out? I do have two of the Transatlantic albums.
?

Edited by dr wu23 - May 10 2017 at 13:50
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2017 at 15:41
Even if you don't pay attention to the lyrics the vocals are still there. I'm not saying I don't like the singing but like you I don't usually pay close attention to lyrics either unless they happen to be written by Neil Peart. ;)

I don't know about Roine and Jon. It could be a one and done thing. We'll see. The same thing with Jon and JLP.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2017 at 21:06
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I own the first 7 albums and they are all good imho (favorites being the first three )......but I was disappointed in Adam and Eve so I stopped exploring their music .
For my education what bands have they morphed into and are they worth checking out? I do have two of the Transatlantic albums.
?

I know very little of The Flower Kings (I don't know those 7 albums you have... I only know their last 2 albums, and found them rather disappointing), however, I also got the Anderson/Stolt album and... well, I found that one disappointing too (though many people seem to have liked it), and I also got the Kaipa da Capo album, and that one I did enjoy a lot.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2017 at 21:08
Oh yeah, and from Transatlantic, I have enjoyed their music (though the last album sounded a bit forced to me), but The Whilrwind particularly was amazing as far as I'm concerned. Just about the whole album, each and every track from it (except for the last track) is better than anything else the band released.
FroggyGlenn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FroggyGlenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2017 at 00:31
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Oh yeah, and from Transatlantic, I have enjoyed their music (though the last album sounded a bit forced to me), but The Whilrwind particularly was amazing as far as I'm concerned. Just about the whole album, each and every track from it (except for the last track) is better than anything else the band released.

I used to really dislike the Flower Kings. I've liked them for so long now that it's hard for me to even remember what it was about them that I didn't like. 

Try these classic songs of theirs: The 25-minute epic "Stardust We Are"; Roine Stolt's soulful, heartfelt 21-minute epic "Humanizzimo"; their hour-long epic suite "Garden of Dreams"; and their incredible 31-minute opus, "The Truth Will Set You Free". You can find all of these songs on Youtube, I'm sure. 

Edited by FroggyGlenn - May 11 2017 at 03:19
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2017 at 13:35
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

?

I know very little of The Flower Kings (I don't know those 7 albums you have... I only know their last 2 albums, and found them rather disappointing), however, I also got the Anderson/Stolt album and... well, I found that one disappointing too (though many people seem to have liked it), and I also got the Kaipa da Capo album, and that one I did enjoy a lot.

I'll ck out that Kaipa da Capo album .
While I like Flower Kings , I have always felt something was lacking there for me....not sure what.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2017 at 16:52
Well, they don't have the greatest vocalists(not that they are really bad either)and a lot of their stuff is a bit samey after a while but other than that I can't find much to complain about. If you are into more avant garde or out there music that doesn't seem to have clear influences(like TFK seem to)then maybe they are not for you.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 04:44
Personally, I think Dårskapens Monotoni's got a ton more memorable melodies than Invention of Knowledge and that's its strongest point. As for the KdC vocalists, I think they're all very charismatic and add lots of character to the album. Especially Max Lorentz, who IMO has a very warm voice tone with a tiny bit of muffle that's just the right amount, unlike Nad Sylvan who's unlistenable to me (too much of the muffle and he tries to sing way too high for his register).
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 12:19
The other day, I "found" The Rainmaker on my CD shelf. No idea how it got there. I have zero recollection of buying it. Gave it a spin and enjoyed Last Minute on Earth and Road To Sanctuary but was a bit meh on the rest. I'll spin it again and see if that changes my mind 
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 447448449450451 486>