Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 449450451452453 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2017 at 11:40
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Jon says on Facebook that work has begun on a new Anderson/Stolt.

Thank you, Jesus!!!

Yeah so I don'tsee how anyone can think TFK are still active when obviously he's busy with other things. It's like the people who think PT are still around. I hate to say it but I think sometimes a reality check is in order. 

From what Stolt himself has said, there isn't much change of ANYTHING Flower Kings in the next 2 to 3 years at a minimum.  He never says the band is done (Steven Wilson, on the other hand has certainly indicated that PTree is done, even if he didn't use those exact words), so there is hope that he will want to revisit it someday.  We shouldn't get our hopes up any time soon though, is my feeling.

I personally have really enjoyed almost all the side projects even though none of them reach the heights of TFK's at their best (though some have come very close, like Tomas' last couple full band solo albums, the second and 3rd Agents Of Mercy albums).

Also, the last two studio albums were, for me, far from their best work though both were still good albums.

I suspect if they do come back, it will be something of a last hurrah and may or may not be accompanied by a new album.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2017 at 14:02
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Thank you, Jesus!!!

Yeah so I don'tsee how anyone can think TFK are still active when obviously he's busy with other things. It's like the people who think PT are still around. I hate to say it but I think sometimes a reality check is in order. 

From what Stolt himself has said, there isn't much change of ANYTHING Flower Kings in the next 2 to 3 years at a minimum.  He never says the band is done (Steven Wilson, on the other hand has certainly indicated that PTree is done, even if he didn't use those exact words), so there is hope that he will want to revisit it someday.  We shouldn't get our hopes up any time soon though, is my feeling.

I personally have really enjoyed almost all the side projects even though none of them reach the heights of TFK's at their best (though some have come very close, like Tomas' last couple full band solo albums, the second and 3rd Agents Of Mercy albums).

Also, the last two studio albums were, for me, far from their best work though both were still good albums.

I suspect if they do come back, it will be something of a last hurrah and may or may not be accompanied by a new album.

I think they should do 14 more albums........
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2017 at 23:04
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Thank you, Jesus!!!

I think they should do 14 more albums........
if buts and maybes its sad that maybe TFK aren't active and maybe will not ever be. missing PT too! but Steve Wilson as a valuable vast side-project and mixing the works of TULL...Crimson which have been amazing.  
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2017 at 00:33
Even PT has never officially disbanded. Officially disbanding PT is probably the only thing that Steven Wilson is lazy with. Lol. Ok, so TFK will maybe reform at some point. We'll see. Yeah, I don't doubt that it's more likely for them to reunite at some point than PT. We'll see. Regardless, everyone is entitled to change their mind. 
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2017 at 04:07
cosmic overtones within the realms of psychedelic notes floating around the expanding mind....TFK album
" WE ARE STARDUST "

Music Is Live

<
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2017 at 04:12
Stardust We Are is all I need, and I'm happy
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2017 at 04:25
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Stardust We Are is all I need, and I'm happy

its surely is an awesome album.............TFK!

Music Is Live

<
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2017 at 09:16
Regarding PT, the last answer I remember reading SW give was that PT can restart again, but the creative juices would need to come from the other members. He had no interest in being the main creator of new album material.
At the time he said his solo career was taking up all his time.

So I do believe that PT will record again one day. I mean at some point his energy for his solo efforts will slow and he will need a break, recharge. 
Great or even good results never comes from a tired person......
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2017 at 05:17
I reckon Stolt should just re-do the whirlwind - and just do it with proper lyrics this time!
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2017 at 07:13

Regarding PT, the last answer I remember reading SW give was that PT can restart again, but the creative juices would need to come from the other members. He had no interest in being the main creator of new album material.

So I do believe that PT will record again one day. I mean at some point his energy for his solo efforts will slow and he will need a break, recharge. 

I'm not sure how a PTree album driven by the other members would even resemble a PTree album!  Wilson wrote what, 99.5% of the music for that band?  Just seems highly improbable that the other 3 would be able to come up with enough to make Wilson want to do another album with them......and even if they did would it be anything like any other PTree album (I mean, the band did start out as just Steven Wilson and no one else......the other members weren't even featured on a whole album until the 4th one!).

Of course, that might be a good thing if it's nothing like any previous PTree album... Wink
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2017 at 07:14
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

I reckon Stolt should just re-do the whirlwind - and just do it with proper lyrics this time!

I didn't have any problem with the lyrics for The Whirlwind.  Compared to his solo albums they were practically non-religious (relatively speaking, of course).  Minus the finale of course, I suppose that could be re-written.....but would Stolt's version really be that much different?
Blaqua View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blaqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2017 at 19:44

One of the best modern prog acts. My favorite tracks by them are Theme for a Hero, The Judas Kiss, The Melting Pot.

geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2017 at 03:33
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

M27Barney could you expand on the issues with the lyrics please!

sun out the skies are blue so the FK on the hi-fi ooh yes

Music Is Live

<
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2017 at 12:36
The lyrics just get on my nerves, the anti establishment anti-capitalist lyrics I can stand - but to attribute as an antidote his personal fairy friend. The man is clearly as intelligent as most, so to believe is such childish bullsh*t is just very, very annoying.
And I drive past a music venue (every week day) where little girls and women were blown to bits in the name of the so called "Religion of Peace" - and everybody mourns and lights candles and "prays" - and they just can't see the fooking ELEPHANT in the room!!!!

Edited by M27Barney - June 19 2017 at 12:39
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2017 at 14:51

I'm not sure how a PTree album driven by the other members would even resemble a PTree album!  Wilson wrote what, 99.5% of the music for that band?  Just seems highly improbable that the other 3 would be able to come up with enough to make Wilson want to do another album with them......and even if they did would it be anything like any other PTree album (I mean, the band did start out as just Steven Wilson and no one else......the other members weren't even featured on a whole album until the 4th one!).

Of course, that might be a good thing if it's nothing like any previous PTree album... Wink

Who knows, it was what he said though in the interview I read. He was not terribly specific like would he be fine contributing 30% and the other three 70%. 
Maybe all he is saying is 'hey guys you come up with the theme/topic/subject and we'll go from there.'

As much as I love what he does (PT/Solo), it would be cool to hear something that he is not the main driver on.
A new PT album I cannot see coming out within next 5yrs, I mean SW will be touring for new album for next two years and Gavin is full blown in the Crim, I would not be surprised if Fripp is working on a new studio album with his 8-headed monster group, then they will tour again.......so could be awhile for PT album, maybe Maitland comes back.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2017 at 19:56

Of course, that might be a good thing if it's nothing like any previous PTree album... Wink

Who knows, it was what he said though in the interview I read. He was not terribly specific like would he be fine contributing 30% and the other three 70%. 
Maybe all he is saying is 'hey guys you come up with the theme/topic/subject and we'll go from there.'

As much as I love what he does (PT/Solo), it would be cool to hear something that he is not the main driver on.
A new PT album I cannot see coming out within next 5yrs, I mean SW will be touring for new album for next two years and Gavin is full blown in the Crim, I would not be surprised if Fripp is working on a new studio album with his 8-headed monster group, then they will tour again.......so could be awhile for PT album, maybe Maitland comes back.

I like Maitland better on Porcupine Tree, actually.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2017 at 14:11
I like Maitland too.....but Gavin is a monster technician behind the kit, so fluid in his playing.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2017 at 21:02
Yeah, well, I haven't really payed that much attention to the technical side of the drumming... nor do I think I could do so very well if I tried. But there are several parts when the drumming really calls for my attention, particularly in the live albums Coma Divine and Warzawa (they kind of go more melodic or ambient), while drumming is mostly in the background on the Gavin Harrison albums.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2017 at 10:06
I really enjoy Gavin's drumming, I think he is amazing. Watch some of his YT vids especially on his jazz drumming, stellar. But also I just saw him with Crim last week so I am on a Gavin high right now Smile, he was brilliant!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2017 at 20:50

I really enjoy Gavin's drumming, I think he is amazing. Watch some of his YT vids especially on his jazz drumming, stellar. But also I just saw him with Crim last week so I am on a Gavin high right now Smile, he was brilliant!

Oh yeah, I expect to see Crim in a few weeks from now What should I expect? Something similar to the Live in Toronto live album?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 449450451452453 486>