Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 459460461462463 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2018 at 08:40
I've heard that (so far) it's just Roine and Hasse on board. We'll see who he fills the band out with. Jonas? Felix? Brislin? Let's hope he goes that route...
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2018 at 13:28
Got notice that TSW release date has been pushed out another week.......Angry
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2018 at 01:58
Aye. I got a.n email. Good things come to those that wait....
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2018 at 08:45
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I never like to hear when a "band" tours without the other "regular band mates". Generally never a good sign, I have never seen TFK live and was hoping they would come to the US soon. I've seen Roine with Transatlantic, would love to see the whole group.
Hoping to have my copy of TSW by month end.......really looking forward to that album.

Well, according to Roine on FB, this is NOT The Flower Kings.  It's Roine Stolt's The Flower Kings revisited and he did not want fans to think that this was the band returning (he hasn't apparently ruled that out for the future though).  It's just a 25 year celebration of the release of his The Flower King solo album and will obviously include other Flower Kings music (since it was all released on InsideOut, who are also celebrating their 25th anniversary).

That was his explanation anyway for having just a couple FK regulars in the band for this.  Also, he said it was a "mere 10 shows", which makes me think there won't be any others (i.e., he won't be bringing this to the USA or done any other shows outside of those 10 in Europe).
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2018 at 08:52
This is Roine's comments that I was referring to:

Pale Rider: I guess we have to roll with these type of comments.

As much as I can understand you guys and others and in particular former TFK players as Tomas ( or Felix )
( or even Hasse B, Michael....or Jaime, or Zoltan ...who knows ...? )
It is important to understand that there has not been a TFK active for 4 years, and there may be reasons. - There was "recently" another 5 year break......
So to think that TFK would go on forever with your favorite line upis not 100% realistic.
No other bandmembers have contacted me, none have written songs, none have asked to tour, none have showed any bit of interest in TFK these last 4 years!
What does that tell you ?

We probably all look at it in a different way.
What I set out to do this time is simply go out and play that music I've been writing over the last 25 years.
It would be a sad affair if you, the fans, would dictate who I am allowed to play with.
So the way I see it - I have every right to play my songs with whoever I want -
If I ask totally unknown people , or Hasse, or even Jonas - it makes sense to me - and I cannot see that I (Roine) need 'permission' from anyone to play my music - ( TFK; TA; Kaipa, AOM or any other concept)
and it's just 'a tour' - there is no room for bitterness - as we all get older - it's just music - and it's supposed to be fun - because it is not a moneymaker anyway.

It happens all the time, we all stand by and enjoy as Robert Plant now play live Zeppelin tunes,
McCartney play many Beatles songs, Steve & Alan play Yes songs, Hackett play Genesis songs,
Spocks carry on without Neal & Nick, Sting play Police, Waters play Floyd, Gilmour plays Floyd,
and Neal play Spock's songs or TA songs... don't get me started on Fleetwood Mac....

Time changes us all - as musicians we sometimes do want to try different things -
If we don't have freedom - what do we have.?
When fans dictate band lineups, or setlists, it becomes a 'prison'.

What further underlines my point is; The Flower Kings has been, in reality, a band on a 'payroll',
or rather, payed recording and touring projects.
Of course much idealistic work put in by all - but that of course is the case for me too - unpaid work is never ending - non rewarding work - passing unseen - without appalus.

To certain degree it has also at times been very trying for me - with internal disagreements and
turbulence, inflated egos, that many times put me in a vulnerable situation as far as economics and my
personal mental health.

How long should I be held "hostage" ? - to what YOU, the fans, feel is the only true constellation,
where I am allowed to play my songs ?
All time invested, all sweat blood and hopes - all these years -
Your loyalty and trust, Is it now taken away - because the band I hire is not what YOU want ?
Yes, you will hear Flower Kings music - NO, it is perhaps NOT the "The Flower Kings" YOU envision,
but it is still TFK music - and you haven't yet heard it like this yet - nor have I.

By heritage and payment structures I do own the name The Flower Kings.
Still, in a gesture of concideration to TFK 'legacy' I asked management to not name it 'The Flower Kings',
per se, but 'Roine Stolt plays TFK'. or *RS - TFK revisited*. The record label and venues of course like to underline The Flower Kings rather than my name. It's business.
I think I have acted in 100% respect for all involved over the years.

IF you are interested in - or love the music that was first introduced on 1994 album - as "The Flower King"
and now a part of prog rock history - let's try be less judgemental and have an open mind.

Let's try envision this - and enjoy it - Next you may see Micheal go out play these songs with Jaime and some new guitar & key guys - or Tomas do the 'all synth' version of TFK songs with huge backdrops of psycedelia - or Jonas
do a TFK band with all trained Swizz elite troupe players, playing all TFK hits, but in double speed, perfect. The sky is the limit - each to his own.

So for all of you less judgemental ; Yes - there is a tour in December,
You are all welcome - but if you lock that door and stay home - it's OK too - I know, changes can hurt.

All I know I'll be out there enjoying this tour - it is mere 10 dates -
celebrating the music - celebrating the 2 lovely TFK boxes
and in general the fact that I am, at age 61 still out there writing, playing and enjoying being a
guitarplayer - still loving those sounds - still loving the road etc. - Fun first - music first. - Roine June 2018.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2018 at 11:52
Obviously TSW will take up most of Roine's time for the rest of the year, with I assume a tour. And this new RSTFKR will take even more time...So I guess safe to assume no new TFK album for at least 3yrs.
Did not realize Roine was 61, looks good for his age but yea......

I can't handle some of the new music coming out. I got my Prog magazine last week, the included CD is just mehh. Nothing that is tickling my fancy, I guess prog as I know it, being older than most of you, is prolly dead.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2018 at 07:44

Obviously TSW will take up most of Roine's time for the rest of the year, with I assume a tour. And this new RSTFKR will take even more time...So I guess safe to assume no new TFK album for at least 3yrs.

I can't handle some of the new music coming out. I got my Prog magazine last week, the included CD is just mehh. Nothing that is tickling my fancy, I guess prog as I know it, being older than most of you, is prolly dead.

How old are you?  I'm 49.  I still find stuff to enjoy, like Tillison's The Kalman Filter album.  Also just got 3 Cast albums from the early 2000's that have pretty much blown me away (not every track, but so far I love about 90% of the 3 albums......need to listen more).  Still waiting on my copy of The Sea Within.  The last two Flower Kings albums didn't do a lot for me, so I'm not really to concerned about TFK's returning or not returning.  I'd love to see this RSTFKR show, as it seems like it would feature a lot of the older stuff as well as maybe some Roine Stolt solo material (he hasn't said that, but it's a celebration of his TFK solo album, so I would think he will play some other solo stuff....hopefully there will be a CD/DVD).

I do understand though, as a lot of new stuff just falls flat with me also.

Edited by infandous - June 26 2018 at 07:47
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2018 at 12:50
Well the tangent stuff is mostly new to me....it's top class prog...all of it...
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2018 at 17:46
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

How old are you?  I'm 49.  I still find stuff to enjoy, like Tillison's The Kalman Filter album.  Also just got 3 Cast albums from the early 2000's that have pretty much blown me away (not every track, but so far I love about 90% of the 3 albums......need to listen more).  Still waiting on my copy of The Sea Within.  The last two Flower Kings albums didn't do a lot for me, so I'm not really to concerned about TFK's returning or not returning.  I'd love to see this RSTFKR show, as it seems like it would feature a lot of the older stuff as well as maybe some Roine Stolt solo material (he hasn't said that, but it's a celebration of his TFK solo album, so I would think he will play some other solo stuff....hopefully there will be a CD/DVD).

I do understand though, as a lot of new stuff just falls flat with me also.

I'm 54.....still play baseball, hardball and can run faster and throw farther than any of you LOL LOL. Seriously, I do find stuff I still like I guess its the new, new music coming out that is just not catching much of my attention. Its not prog, as we know it, more emo/alternative rock really, IMO. I think I have a Cast album digital, will have to look for it on another 'puter is my guess.
Banks is one I just cannot get into, I have tried and it is just blah.......This is strange, as I do find myself liking the music and what they are doing but I don't pull it out and just play it, not like A&E or even DR. I feel this way about Spocks' Beard too, I have all their albums but some are tough.

I'd like to see the show too....prolly not coming this way tho.
Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walkscore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2018 at 20:18
Thanks for posting about the tour (although I live too far away), and the Stolt interview/discussion. Sorry to hear that Thomas Bodin has an ear injury. I didn't know that. I will have to order The Sea Within. 

I agree that Banks (of Eden) is my least fav TFK album. For me, Sum of No Evil, and Unfold the Future, are my two favourites.

I also really enjoy The Tangent's albums (latest one - Slow Rust - is great. Tillison is almost as talented on drums as he is on keys). 
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2018 at 05:54
Baseball? That's rounders for men...Cricket was a proper man's sport before they started wearing helmets and pads other than those on the legs. You could attempt to kill the batsman with a bodyline bouncer. Proper war with a ball....
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2018 at 08:49
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Baseball? That's rounders for men...Cricket was a proper man's sport before they started wearing helmets and pads other than those on the legs. You could attempt to kill the batsman with a bodyline bouncer. Proper war with a ball....

LOL....I don't know what "rounders" means, but hitting a baseball continues to be one of the most difficult things to do. Remember back in the day, baseball players did not wear any helmets and the catchers pads were nothing more than a foam pad on their chest. Today's gear is super protective, as it should be, take a 90MPH fastball to the chest and it probably will stop your heart, let alone break multiple ribs.

Yes proper war with a ball........Clap
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2018 at 11:27
Originally posted by Walkscore Walkscore wrote:

Thanks for posting about the tour (although I live too far away), and the Stolt interview/discussion. Sorry to hear that Thomas Bodin has an ear injury. I didn't know that. I will have to order The Sea Within. 

I agree that Banks (of Eden) is my least fav TFK album. For me, Sum of No Evil, and Unfold the Future, are my two favourites.

I also really enjoy The Tangent's albums (latest one - Slow Rust - is great. Tillison is almost as talented on drums as he is on keys). 

He actually plays "drums" on the keyboards.  He assigns drum samples to each key and plays drums that way.  Still, pretty impressive (I guess he can play drums the old fashioned way as well, just not well enough to do his own music how he wants the drums done).
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2018 at 11:30

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

LOL....I don't know what "rounders" means, but hitting a baseball continues to be one of the most difficult things to do. Remember back in the day, baseball players did not wear any helmets and the catchers pads were nothing more than a foam pad on their chest. Today's gear is super protective, as it should be, take a 90MPH fastball to the chest and it probably will stop your heart, let alone break multiple ribs.

Yes proper war with a ball........Clap

I find baseball nearly as boring as golf.  Unwatchable, or playable, IMO.  Still, I wasn't any good at it as a kid, so that might have something to do with my dislike (well, that, and sitting through a couple major league games as a kid, bored out of my mind).

No, give me proper football (i.e. NOT American football) any day.  I wasn't very good at that as a kid either, but man did I love to play it and I still love to watch it.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2018 at 11:56
However...The cricket ball is harder and heavier than the baseball. Thus a 93mph bouncer to the head is more dangerous...and in cricket you get to bounce the ball off an unpredictable surface which means that the ball can hit you under the chin whilst it is still rising....nasty...

Edited by M27Barney - June 27 2018 at 11:58
Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walkscore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2018 at 20:59

He actually plays "drums" on the keyboards.  He assigns drum samples to each key and plays drums that way.  Still, pretty impressive (I guess he can play drums the old fashioned way as well, just not well enough to do his own music how he wants the drums done).

I know that Tillison has often used keyboards to play the drums, and did this on the recent album too. However, I remember reading him saying he is a fully-trained drummer (from the beginning), and that he plays a full kit on the recent album a majority of the time (both acoustic kit and electronic kit), with some fills and solos patched using his keys-sampled drums. 
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2018 at 07:10

I know that Tillison has often used keyboards to play the drums, and did this on the recent album too. However, I remember reading him saying he is a fully-trained drummer (from the beginning), and that he plays a full kit on the recent album a majority of the time (both acoustic kit and electronic kit), with some fills and solos patched using his keys-sampled drums. 

Hmm, I could swear he said the opposite, but I don't remember for certain.  You may be right.  I did know he could play a kit though.  Don't suppose you could find where you read that again?  I'll do some digging, as I'm curious now (I may well have just assumed he used the keys).
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2018 at 07:15

Okay, so I asked his significant other, Sally Colyer about it, and she "thinks" he did most of it on the keyboards but did use a kit for some things.  She's going to ask him, so I'll report back Smile
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2018 at 11:11
My copy of the sea within has arrived...nice artwork...
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoeDent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2018 at 14:12

This is Roine's comments that I was referring to:

Pale Rider: I guess we have to roll with these type of comments.
[...]
We probably all look at it in a different way.
What I set out to do this time is simply go out and play that music I've been writing over the last 25 years.
It would be a sad affair if you, the fans, would dictate who I am allowed to play with.
So the way I see it - I have every right to play my songs with whoever I want -
If I ask totally unknown people , or Hasse, or even Jonas - it makes sense to me - and I cannot see that I (Roine) need 'permission' from anyone to play my music - ( TFK; TA; Kaipa, AOM or any other concept)
and it's just 'a tour' - there is no room for bitterness - as we all get older - it's just music - and it's supposed to be fun - because it is not a moneymaker anyway.

It happens all the time, we all stand by and enjoy as Robert Plant now play live Zeppelin tunes,
McCartney play many Beatles songs, Steve & Alan play Yes songs, Hackett play Genesis songs,
Spocks carry on without Neal & Nick, Sting play Police, Waters play Floyd, Gilmour plays Floyd,
and Neal play Spock's songs or TA songs... don't get me started on Fleetwood Mac....

Time changes us all - as musicians we sometimes do want to try different things -
If we don't have freedom - what do we have.?
When fans dictate band lineups, or setlists, it becomes a 'prison'.

What further underlines my point is; The Flower Kings has been, in reality, a band on a 'payroll',
or rather, payed recording and touring projects.
Of course much idealistic work put in by all - but that of course is the case for me too - unpaid work is never ending - non rewarding work - passing unseen - without appalus.

To certain degree it has also at times been very trying for me - with internal disagreements and
turbulence, inflated egos, that many times put me in a vulnerable situation as far as economics and my
personal mental health.

How long should I be held "hostage" ? - to what YOU, the fans, feel is the only true constellation,
where I am allowed to play my songs ?
All time invested, all sweat blood and hopes - all these years -
Your loyalty and trust, Is it now taken away - because the band I hire is not what YOU want ?
Yes, you will hear Flower Kings music - NO, it is perhaps NOT the "The Flower Kings" YOU envision,
but it is still TFK music - and you haven't yet heard it like this yet - nor have I.

IF you are interested in - or love the music that was first introduced on 1994 album - as "The Flower King"
and now a part of prog rock history - let's try be less judgemental and have an open mind.

Roine speaks wisely.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 459460461462463 486>