Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 461462463464465 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 11:22
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

I have never seen Stolt live with any band.
Although I'm not crazy about The Sea Within I would go see them in a heartbeat!!!

Ha.....I think TSW has already broke up LOL

I like the album.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 01:53
Hahahahahahahahahaha! Liking The Sea Within Album....Would be nice to have a new TFK album NOW!!!!
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2018 at 08:48
Maybe this Bodin-less version of the band will gel better than The Sea Within and actually record a good LP.

But probably not.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2018 at 06:07
Well, based on Roine's Facebook comments, I get the feeling he's thinking of taking the "Flower Kings Revisited" lineup into the studio.  Possibly.  He claims that Tomas' absence isn't a sign of any bad blood, just Roine wanting to forge ahead with a few different people.  Of course, Roine is not the type to air bad blood in public, so who knows really.

I have still only listened to The Sea Within twice, and while I enjoyed it, I just never get the urge to put it on.  Will probably listen again this week though.  I just don't hear anything that jumps out at me or makes me excited to listen again, but obviously the musicianship is excellent and Roine's solos are outstanding as usual.  Just doesn't seem to have the magic I am used to from Roine's projects.
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoeDent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2018 at 09:49
It is. It has to be. And there was tension between them during the long gap between TSOAE and BOE, so...it's obvious what's happening here. The Flower Kings is a dead band.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2018 at 10:10
Undusting my Flower Kings cds, been quite a while since the last serious and complete listen. 'World of Adventures' this morning, I forgot how strong that album is...

Beautiful, man!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2018 at 10:43
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Undusting my Flower Kings cds, been quite a while since the last serious and complete listen. 'World of Adventures' this morning, I forgot how strong that album is...

Beautiful, man!

This is becoming the norm with me, listening to original line ups and earlier albums from many of these bands that have gone thru some band changes.
As stated above about TSW in that there is some magic missing, it's true. The album has some exceptional moments and I enjoy it enough to spin it several times......is it TFK? No its not, so there in lies where some magic is missing.
If Roine continues this path of TFK-light, then I will expect essentially more of the same like TSW.
Zappy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2018 at 00:47
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

I have still only listened to The Sea Within twice, and while I enjoyed it, I just never get the urge to put it on.  Will probably listen again this week though.  I just don't hear anything that jumps out at me or makes me excited to listen again, but obviously the musicianship is excellent and Roine's solos are outstanding as usual.  Just doesn't seem to have the magic I am used to from Roine's projects.

Well I have been spinning it non stop, and - after having a hard time getting into it - am loving every single bit of it. It's not as immediate as his latest Kaipa DaCapo recording for example but sure has much to offer in depth if you ask me. Maybe give it a couple more sessions? Of course then again, I TRIED to like it as I always do with Mr. Stolt's endeavors. On Another note though I Am not sure if the project will continue to blossom. To my ears Daniel's vocal delivery is pretty much the driving force on this record and almost half the magic. Casey isn't a bad singer but he surely is not capable of replacing the intensity that is Daniel's voice....
Ghost Whistler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2018 at 08:48
I bought TSW. I think it's ok. The best songs are the early ones though. So it does kind of tip its hand a bit too quickly.

But, um,

I've just spent fifty quid on a ton of FK music.

So, there's that :D
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2018 at 05:11
Aha the batch buying technique..be careful of the CD that never get spun because you buy too many at once..
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2018 at 05:12
My record is 32 cds ordered in one browser session....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2018 at 06:37
Is the sea within meant to be a concept album?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2018 at 08:30
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Aha the batch buying technique..be careful of the CD that never get spun because you buy too many at once..
It's not a practice I use a lot because it's expensive, but the Kingdom of Colours 2 boxset was cheap on Amazon.

I don't like using Amazon either tbf, given how they treat their staff but there's literally nowhere else round here.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2018 at 14:52
Love is the Only Answer is an amazing piece of music. 
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2018 at 07:40
Originally posted by Ghost Whistler Ghost Whistler wrote:

Love is the Only Answer is an amazing piece of music. 

The whole LP is terrific. Probably my favorite.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2018 at 11:41
^ One of their very best indeed (musically) but a bit bleak and sad thematically, though.

Adam & Eve playing right now - I can understand some of the negative comments about 'Rainmaker' or 'Desolation Rose' but not about 'Adam & Eve': Top-notch compositions, classic (positive) Flower Kings sound with every members in superb form. What else can you ask for?

Love it, baby.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2018 at 12:10
First listen to Sum of No Evil in a long, long time: very powerful stuff and a top 3 TFK all-time best. A brilliantly accurate and lucid reflection of the politically horrendous early 2000s. Do you remember those very bleak, very sad times, folks?

Of course you do!

Masterpiece.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2018 at 14:09
Those are easily my fav TFK albums, A&E and Sum....I love the music style, it's not too dramatic or overly produced or such, very good music. Earlier TFK to me is tough to enjoy, I wish they would release vinyl versions.....Those big album gatefolds would be awesome.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2018 at 15:57
I've been looking for a new band to dive into for a LONG time. 

The Flower Kings are now that band. Why didn't I get into them sooner. 

Just amazing. So much music to dive into. Amazing.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2018 at 02:12
And of course..you have all the other cds that Stolt is involved with loads of new stuff for you to listen too...keep you happy till winter solstice...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 461462463464465 486>