Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 473474475476477 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ghost Whistler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2020 at 14:35
I really like it. Roine can do no wrong in my eyes. Tangerine is a fun track that reminds me of the Ozrics. 
Just wish I hadn't gone Corona mad and thought I should wash the cd in its not very watertight shrinkwrap.

What happens in 2020 stays in 2020
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2020 at 16:27
I'm pretty pleased so far.  I'll need more listens but it's certainly the best since SUM for me (though not on the same level as that album).  I think the thing I like the least is the cover.  It's not bad, but it's possibly my least favorite Roger Dean cover.  For some reason it also bothers me that there are tiny figures in it (presumably the band).  Not sure why, just think it would look better without that.  But that's a small niggle really........I certainly seen worse covers, even on Flower King albums.  The music is what matters most, and so far I'm enjoying it.
Biff Tannen View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biff Tannen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2020 at 09:30
I am still trying to digest the new album, but I like it.  Seems similar to Waiting for Miracles in that I am not hearing anything that is totally amazing, but hearing quite a few good really good songs.  Time will tell how much I end up liking this one, but I do like what I am hearing thus far.

Not getting any big epics doesn't bother me as many of favorite TFK songs are shorter songs.
"What are you looking at, butthead?"
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2020 at 02:56
I like this album for the very reason that they are not doing epics. I hear a more disciplined band with tighter writing. TFK can be just too much improvisation and jazzy for my liking at times. This is not that!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2020 at 22:39
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I like this album for the very reason that they are not doing epics. I hear a more disciplined band with tighter writing. TFK can be just too much improvisation and jazzy for my liking at times. This is not that!
Ok...that's what I'm looking for from them. I think they can write really great songs that don't need to surpass 10min or turn into funky, jazzy musical 24 hours of Le Mans.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 00:34
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Ok...that's what I'm looking for from them. I think they can write really great songs that don't need to surpass 10min or turn into funky, jazzy musical 24 hours of Le Mans.

Dudes chill its TFK naff said!
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 08:56
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

This site is about bitchin and moanin...........LOL
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2020 at 01:37
Beginning to think I like the second disc a bit more than the first.

I've generally been positive about their return and I rate Banks Of Eden as one of the best albums of recent years. I also like Desolation Rose.

BTW Expressing a preference and liking some things more than others is not really bitching and moaning is it?
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2020 at 06:35

Beginning to think I like the second disc a bit more than the first.

I've generally been positive about their return and I rate Banks Of Eden as one of the best albums of recent years. I also like Desolation Rose.

BTW Expressing a preference and liking some things more than others is not really bitching and moaning is it?

Nope, it's not.  At least not in my case.  I still prefer ALL the albums prior to Banks over the Banks and the albums since then.  Doesn't mean I'm complaining, as I like the last 3 albums to varying degrees (even the Alchemist album).  I just don't feel like they've ever recaptured the magic of the 1994-2000 period of the band (though Unfold is a masterpiece and SUM is a top 5 TFK album for me).

It's not like I'm surprised, as bands tend to become less interesting to me as they get older (this has been true of every one of my favorite bands, for some reason.........I'm a 51 year old musician, so I think I understand).

Anyway, I still like what they do a great deal, and as I mentioned before I feel like this new one is their strongest since SUM (though not as good as that album).  All my opinion, of course, and I'm not "bitching and moaning"  Wink
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2020 at 15:39
Alright folks, I love this album. What album sounds closest to this? I've heard Banks of Eden and I liked that one but I like the easier listening factor of this one
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2020 at 12:43
I made a spoof cover art. xD
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2020 at 13:45
I only had the original release from 2002, I think this album is incredible. What always drove me nuts was the heavy compression the CD had, it was difficult at times to listen to and really fatiguing. I was able to get a nice deal on the 2017 reissue/remaster/remix LP version including the CDs. In the liner notes Roine confirms his displeasure for the album as it was originally released, calling it "painfully brutal". LOL

The CDs are better, the 3 brilliant songs he remixed bring out much more detail and musicality as he pushes certain sounds front and back. The rest of the songs are remastered as 24/96kHz, of course the CDs are redbook truncated to 16bit.....But man the LPs are amazing sounding!! The soundstage is much wider and low frequencies are more pronounced which suffered on the original mix, plus its not compressed to hell anymore, there is dynamics and resolution now........I'm a happy boy!!

geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2020 at 01:02

This site is about bitchin and moanin...........LOL

True a good moaning and bitching is fun...But the new album is a sheer delightful album imho

Music Is Live

<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2020 at 01:04
Not gotten an issue with any albums by TFK!

Music Is Live

<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2020 at 01:06

I only had the original release from 2002, I think this album is incredible. What always drove me nuts was the heavy compression the CD had, it was difficult at times to listen to and really fatiguing. I was able to get a nice deal on the 2017 reissue/remaster/remix LP version including the CDs. In the liner notes Roine confirms his displeasure for the album as it was originally released, calling it "painfully brutal". LOL

The CDs are better, the 3 brilliant songs he remixed bring out much more detail and musicality as he pushes certain sounds front and back. The rest of the songs are remastered as 24/96kHz, of course the CDs are redbook truncated to 16bit.....But man the LPs are amazing sounding!! The soundstage is much wider and low frequencies are more pronounced which suffered on the original mix, plus its not compressed to hell anymore, there is dynamics and resolution now........I'm a happy boy!!

Totally agree with you

Music Is Live

<
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 10:56

Totally agree with you

You mean totally agree with Mr Stolt Smile
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 12:01

Totally agree with you

You mean totally agree with Mr Stolt Smile

Mmm well mmm yes

Music Is Live

<
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 11:06
I never noticed anything "brutal" about Unfold.  But then I don't really have high end audio equipment (never have really) and my ears were probably already shot way back then (18 years ago!!).
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 17:39
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

I never noticed anything "brutal" about Unfold.  But then I don't really have high end audio equipment (never have really) and my ears were probably already shot way back then (18 years ago!!).
Noticeable with headphones, what you DON'T hear is dynamics, resolution and separation of instruments. What you DO hear is one loudness level of all instruments..This is the brickwalling people describe where the volume is simply pushed to the wall.
I am assuming you are listening to the CD and not streaming it or an MP3 from back then. Like I said the CD was terribly fatiguing. With a higher end digital system you would only be able to tell the difference with both versions......Those are the Aha! moments...

With me it was Rush~Vapor Trails in 2002. I played that CD all the time, then started to hear about the bad mastering about 5yrs later, not till they issued a badly needed remix in 2013 did I have that Aha! moment.....
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 11:08

Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Noticeable with headphones, what you DON'T hear is dynamics, resolution and separation of instruments. What you DO hear is one loudness level of all instruments..This is the brickwalling people describe where the volume is simply pushed to the wall.
I am assuming you are listening to the CD and not streaming it or an MP3 from back then. Like I said the CD was terribly fatiguing. With a higher end digital system you would only be able to tell the difference with both versions......Those are the Aha! moments...

With me it was Rush~Vapor Trails in 2002. I played that CD all the time, then started to hear about the bad mastering about 5yrs later, not till they issued a badly needed remix in 2013 did I have that Aha! moment.....

Yeah, I would probably notice it more if I heard the remaster.  I only ever have heard it on CD, and it's been a while since I listened to it.  What you are saying about the dynamics does seem to be what I remember.  Probably why it took me longer to appreciate than the previous albums as I felt something was "different".  Or course, musically it was much more wild and complex and far more jazzier than previous releases (though that was always an aspect of TFK's).  In any case, there is zero chance of me getting those remastered tracks since they only come with the vinyl, correct?  No big deal, I still love that album, regardless of any ear fatigue, and I've heard far worse albums when it comes to brick walling.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 473474475476477 486>