Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOld Prog Beats New Prog in Song Sample Plays

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2009 at 10:44
While I am in agreement to the extent that the "old prog" is what I prefer, I also recognize it for what it is: only an opinion.  Prog rock is a music form, not a time specific movement like NWOBHM.  What you - 88 meter - are saying is a bit like somebody claiming what is called metal today is not metal, and is just noise, because it doesn't sound like Black Sabbath (not strictly true if one only bothers to explore traditional doom and stoner with a little effort).  Black Sabbath was metal in the 70s and metal has moved on since then, drawing very largely from punk, a genre which hadn't come into existence - or so I believe - when Black Sabbath released their first album.  As a music form, prog today is as much prog as prog from the 70s, just that the bands are playing different tunes!  Also, I am ill qualified to speak on this, but people like Logan will tell you that prog from some of the other sub genres in the 70s like Zeuhl sound as much or more different from symphonic prog as, well, prog metal does from symphonic prog.  
Cifrocco View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2009 at 18:21

The best music is all behind us folks.  The good news is that I haven't discovered it all.

Scratchy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2009 at 01:35
Thank god I'm still young enough to still appreciate contempory progressive music.Another 10 years & I will be stuck in my (listening) ways like the initial poster.I have made a concious effort to try & listen to as much of today's music.Even educate myself on the roots of new developements which has even ment I have had to listen to music that sort of gets close to punk i.e. Fugazi (very influencial group - some of their guitar interplay is exellent).
What I can say is that is my listening experiences have been very rewarding, at least when I hear a group with a progressive attitude to music I will know were their sounds came from.My only wish is that more groups had the same adventurous approach as 70's groups did.The actual sound doesn't matter really.I actually prefer groups to use contemporary sounds than reverting back to older sounds.It is the approach to music that counts.What really annoys me is when groups with obvious musical talent do not try to broaden their approach to the way they play music.I felt this same annouance in the 70's as I do with today's groups ,although more often with today's groups - although it seems to be getting better as it is almost getting fasionable again to have this approach.
88melter View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2009 at 08:24
Grasshopper, (see old episodes of Kung Fu) you have missed the point. I may very well be stuck in my listening ways,(although, if one examines the posts, one sees no reference to MY actual listening habits.) The point is/was that the users of this site are stuck in their listening habits, and often with good reason.
    The OLD PROG gets most of the listening plays, by a wide margin. It is the stuff I like as well, but, then I play that music in our group, called, PROG, (see www.prog-music.info). You have the right idea, after you missed the point, though, which is that opening the concepts up to the vagaries of creativity is, and hopefully always will be, where IT is at. (see Genesis, last track, Lamb Lies Down).
   So, let's listen to whatever we want, because we Want what we Want when we Want IT!! and that is always good enough. And, OLD PROG seems to be mostly what we want, which gives me hope that YES, Genesis, Tull, ELP, Greg Lake-era Crimson, Gentle Giant, and even the dread Americans, Kansas, will always have an audience.
   Glad to see this thread was interesting.
Until next time,
MBB
88melter
popeyes motto View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2009 at 19:01

As Yoda might say

" look not at how many are played, look instead to your heart and tell them just how old we are.  Knowing not what has come since is the reason for choosing that which is older" 

or to paraphrase

maybe our members are just OLDER
FRISBEE: WHAT BALLS DREAM DURING FLYTE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123