Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStrawbs play Montreal,Canada- March 6, 2009

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strawbs play Montreal,Canada- March 6, 2009
    Posted: January 23 2009 at 19:35
With Oliver Wakeman special guesting:

Has anyone seen Strawbs live? Haven't made up my mind about going yet... The only review I managed to find said Dave Cousins looked tired

kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2009 at 19:07
yes they are worth seeing, and they used to be so popular in Montreal before the horrid FM radio scene killed them, so it would be great to show your support.
June View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2009 at 19:44
Great. I ended up buying my ticket earlier today.

Didn't realise they used to be popular here (well, obvisously, I wasn't even born during their hey days), as all the people I mentionned them to had no clue who they were.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2009 at 20:32
hero and heroine was the biggest album by Strawbs in Montreal (it eventually went gold in Canada), but every album from Witchwood (1971) thru Burning for You (1977) got good airplay on CHOM-FM as well as a few other channels.  When punk came in, Strawbs were one of the groups that got dropped from playlists fairly quickly.  In contrast, the group remained fairly popular in Ottawa and Toronto thru most of the 80s, and I think it's largely because they were still getting airplay.  I'm glad to see younger fans discovering them.  I wish I could go but I live in Boston and I am going to be up there a week later.  
June View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2009 at 20:38

Mmm, if I ever listen to the radio, it is CHOM, but I can't recall EVER having heard Strawbs on it (maybe Lay Down?). Seems they're always playing Supertramp or that new U2 track these days.

You're the first member I see on his tagged as prog-folk team, very cool. It's my current obsession. Smile

Progfans View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2009 at 21:26
I saw them in 2005 when they came to the CAfe Campus but that was the accoustic strawbs. I saw them again at the FMPM and they did a really great performance.
Another great job did by the FMPM team...
La cuisine c,est comme l,amour, il faut y croire pour que ca marche
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2009 at 22:05
Originally posted by June June wrote:

Mmm, if I ever listen to the radio, it is CHOM, but I can't recall EVER having heard Strawbs on it (maybe Lay Down?). Seems they're always playing Supertramp or that new U2 track these days.

You're the first member I see on his tagged as prog-folk team, very cool. It's my current obsession. Smile

that's a good obsession to have.  I've "suffered" from it a bit myself, although symphonic prog can get hold of me pretty good too.  I say give CHOM a call and tell them to play STRAWBS because they are coming to town and you want to hear what they are about  Cool
Rick Doogie View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2009 at 19:27
My wife and I saw Strawbs last year, 2008, at The Ark, in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
They were superb!

The only other time that I saw Strawbs was for the "Hero and Heroine" tour.
The show was Strawbs opening for King Crimson at Aquinas College in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

The show in '08 was the same 5 members from Hero and Heroine.
Every single band member was impressive, just like in the old days.
We were sitting about 5 feet in front of Dave Lambert, and he was having a great time all night.

I think the sound was actually a lot better in the more recent show, because today's sound gear is so much easier to maintain. I can't swear to that, but I sure recall plenty of 70's concert where there were little problems with sound, especially keyboards and acoustic guitars. The sound at The Ark was perfect!

I was wondering whether Dave Cousins' voice would still have that great singular quality, and it took about 20 seconds into the first song to realize that the guy still has plenty of power to spare in the old pipes.
We were smiling the entire show.

They did lots of great 70's songs, but the new songs were also very powerful and sweet.
Dave Cousins told a short story to introduce nearly every song, and it was like having musical friends in your living room to perform for your little cocktail party.
What a treat.
What more can I say?
"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture."
meerkatcool View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2009 at 02:46

The next time is see the Strawbs will be my 6th time. I first saw them in 1974 when the the all-girl band, Fanny, was opening act. I saw them 2 years ago in an intimate setting at a local venue. I think their most recent release, Broken Hearted Bride, is one of their best-ever--destined to be a Strawbs classic. Yes, go see them . I don't think you'll have any thing to regret. I look forward to seeing them perform--wheneverClapBoston Strawbs fan

OzzProg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2009 at 17:59
I'm 17, and a friend and I likes the Strawbs quite a bit. I must admit, that we are not avid fans, but we do enjoy their music. Are they worth going see, if you aren't a Die Hard fan?

@June what was the price of your ticket?

Because if its not obsessively priced, I'll probably end up going.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2009 at 22:40
Originally posted by OzzProg OzzProg wrote:

I'm 17, and a friend and I likes the Strawbs quite a bit. I must admit, that we are not avid fans, but we do enjoy their music. Are they worth going see, if you aren't a Die Hard fan?

Hard to say, since I have known them since their heyday so I can't evaluate their performances from a casual fan's perspective.  You could try listening to a recent live album like "Live at Nearfest", to get an idea of how they sound live these days.   I suspect the tickets are reasonable
June View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2009 at 10:06
Originally posted by OzzProg OzzProg wrote:

Oups, I never saw that post... it was like 45$, but they're in Gatineau/Wakefield tonight, at The Black Sheep Inn.

Anyway, it was quite yummy. Didn't think it would be that good. Dave Cousins still sounds totally like he does on the albums Shocked
meerkatcool View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2009 at 03:03
I saw John Wetton due a shocase of King Crimson, UK, and Asia on March6. I'm Glad i didn't have local competion by the Strawbs--their latest CD, The Broken Hearted Bride, is one of their best-ever:-) Check out Keith Emerson's new CD, The Keith Emerson Band--you won't be sorry--virtuosity showcased as only he is capabable of doing:-)
smcfee View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2009 at 15:05
Thanks to everyone who came to the Montreal show. It was a big success.
 Post Reply Post Reply