Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFrank Zappa the most popular PA artist?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2009 at 12:58
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Originally posted by Billy the Mountain Billy the Mountain wrote:

Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Incidentally, I just started checking various artist names (listed in the PA band/artist pages) official sites at myspace to see how many "friends" are listed:

Frank Zappa has 92819 friends.
Peter Gabriel has 39137 friends.
Miles Davis has 23125 friends.

You gotta remember the vast majority of myspace users are scene kids, and because Zappa is the most trendy of out of him, David and Gabriel, of course Zappa will have more friends on myspace due to scene kids boosting his friend count. As the scene kids say "ZAPPA IZ TEH TRENDYZ".

And sometimes they do this too after the sentence: ^_^.

*Sorry Henry:P*

Are you kidding!!!! Zappa is trendier than peter gabriel.....lets not forget that genesis is probably the biggest sellouts in music history and have become more trendy and popular than Frank Zappa could ever be.  Frank Zappa was a force that battled conformity throughout his career, and the last word I would use to describe him would be trendy.  I agree with the previous posts that mention the range of Franks discography. He has made pure classical, pure jazz, chamber music, jingles, movie soundtracks, electronic music, syphonic rock, pure rock, satire, spoken word and the list goes on.  That man is the most influencial artist of the last 40-50 years.  As for THE BIG 5 (or six because I believe that gentle giant was AMAZING) Frank Zappa has released over 40 albums of original material, and over 100 total, name me one of those3 six that has come close to that feat and covered the range of different styles that Uncle Frank did.  That is why I believe his music is discussed so much, because it covers almost every genre so everyone can relate to one song or another.  Anyway, I just think you should rethink your wording when describing Frank: not trendy....how about transcendant, non-conformist, antiestablishmentarian, or maybe genious....but for the love of god not trendy!!!!!
You are misinterpreting what he said, and trendy does not equal popular. Collins Genesis is as far away from trendy as popular music can get.

And I would disagree with your statement that he is the most influential artist of the last 50 years. Ornette Coleman/John Coltrane created a genre.

i dont think Collins Genesis was that trendy in the 80s either, Wink based on what people have told me about being around in the 80s. there were always bigger and trendier acts back then

i think Zappa's influence is only recently begun to be felt. sure prog bands since the 90s/2000s have had a little Zappa in them (DT, TFK, Umphrey's) but i think more young people are discovering his music, whether they like his political commentary, or his inside jokes, or his eclectic styles of music, whatever.

even the most ahead-of-their-time jazz artists have gained much acceptance since their time. Zappa on the other hand was really ahead of his time, and still hasnt gained as much acceptance as he should have. maybe we're coming to a Zappa renaisance, who knows.
Xanatos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2010 at 10:21
Zappa rocks! :D
Adams Bolero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2010 at 11:37
Originally posted by Xanatos Xanatos wrote:

Zappa rocks! :D
Thumbs Up
''Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal.''

- Albert Camus
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2010 at 11:39
Not really a Zappa fan myself.
CloseToTheMoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2010 at 16:02
I was always curious of Zappa, my dad never got into him so I took it upon myself. And I can say I enjoy exactly 50% of what I've heard. Some of it's phenomenal. And some of it's completely insane.

Oddly enough I was trying to make a playlist yesterday and I came here for some advice. I figured out you can't find a discriminating review of Frank Zappa on a prog site.
It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2010 at 18:48
wow, i forgot all about this thread. i mean, it's been something like a year and a half

hey, no one commented on what i said in the above post ^^^ LOL
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2010 at 20:54
Hi,

It would be normal for you/us not to see him discussed as much as before ... why? ... he's not alive anymore and there is no band for us to thrash and say that singer must go!

But, anyone not giving him any appreciation will never even realize where metal music came from in the first place and where some of the guitar leads appeared first. And in case you missed it, just catch "Zappa plays Zappa" for a total treat and amazing show and stuff ... you have to be a master musician to play like that ... and pay attention ... and I doubt that half the bands discussed here have that much discipline or care in their work.

Frank Zappa, in my book is one of the top 5 composers of the century ... right up there with Stravinsky! And his legacy will eventually come forth regardless of what we say here. There simply is too much music out there and the appreciation is bigger than ever ... just not as visible here.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2010 at 20:57
He's certainly not all that popular with me.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 03:54
I think Zappa is name-dropped more than he is actively listened to.
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 06:43
Maybe it's just me because I'm one of the ones doing it but lately it seems like Jethro Tull are being mentioned everywhere.
sohraab View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 08:21
if we consider Beatles as non-prog (which makes sense for me), then Zappa is the most popular one of course...
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 16:14
Hi,

Frank Zappa is probably way too mis-understood to be appreciated.

To most listeners, his lyrics could be considered rude, and sometimes questionable in good taste. And the music, is, quite intentional in ts ability to go anywhere and everywhere.

Perhaps his best ability, besides being a monster guitarist that taught many how to do bombastic solos, one of his strong abilities was that he knew music and was not afraid to play with it and mix and match things in combinations that are mind boggling. It is modern music, meets classical, meets pop, meets rock, meets soul, meets jazz, meets no-music, meets anything you can think of.

The lyrics. It is important that you understand that most of them are off kilter on purpose. Why is this important? He knew and understood how we listened to pop music and got stuck on lines and sill can quote songs out of the blue ... and his intent was to make sure that you did not bother with the lyrics, and got to the music a little more. And he succeeded to a degree ... except in America.

To give you an idea of the respect and appreciation, before he left us, he worked and conducted in Vienna in one of the most important and highly regarded places in music ... but in America ... the Met will never do anything, what's his name with the bruhahapopscheapmusic, will never play Frank ... and you get the idea ... we're stuck in a commercial society that can only appreciate top ten ... and too many people here are a bit like that ... and are not capable of ear tuning to learn and appreciate something totally different ... and Frank IS different from album to album ... no one can show such versatility and dedication to music any more than that ...

So, if you want the new muzak ... go ahead ... if you want some really well done material and well defined and designed music, Frank will be on your top list right off the bat ... like it or not. You might not like the music, but can you not appreciate the musicianship and the work that went into it?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
ProgPassion View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 10:21
Originally posted by Yorkie X Yorkie X wrote:

I don't get the prog experience I`m looking for from Zappa , what Zappa plays is good for what it is , I call it "Rock in opposition"  but its not prog.   Time we stopped kidding ourselves and I think Zappa would agree with what I`m saying.  

Why does it matter whether it is prog or not?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 10:37
Hi and welcome to the forum!

I don't think you can expect an answer to your query seeing as Yorkie last logged on in December of 2009. The post you quoted was from January the same year
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
ProgPassion View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 10:48
Ah ok, thank you :) 

I love it here! I have been reading the posts for a while without an account, so I thought it was time I made one :P
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 11:00
Hi,

Hmmmm ... I was thinking that he probably has the biggest catalog of most of the artists mentioned here!

I'm a bit concerned that w have a tendency to think that "popular" means best, and in this case, it does not apply!

Edited by moshkito - July 21 2014 at 15:03
www.pedrosena.com
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2014 at 13:07
I'm not sure if he's the most popular, but I think he's up there.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2014 at 14:57
Originally posted by KingCrInuYasha KingCrInuYasha wrote:

I'm not sure if he's the most popular, but I think he's up there.

It depends on how you define popular. If it's by album sales, I suspect others may beat him.
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2014 at 15:11
dat half-decade necropost
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2014 at 15:15
^Is that a yes or a no? My English may not be good enough to understand what you said?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>