Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnyone get Umphrey's McGee "Mantis"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone get Umphrey's McGee "Mantis"?
    Posted: January 29 2009 at 00:05
ive listened to this album 6 times already and it is some of the best new prog rock in a while! They went in the right direction with this one. Cemetary Walk (both parts) is probably the best song on there, with the 11+ minute title track coming in close second. the entire album is grand from beginning to end.

now it's a matter of seeing what they do with these songs live...Cool
mrgd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2009 at 01:16
I've read a lot about the band and listened to samples on various sites including their own website . With what I've heard and read so far I've jumped right in and ordered MANTIS through Amazon and for a pretty good price too. I'm new to the band but am really looking forward to my copy arriving by clipper over the seven seas down here, downunder.

P.S. Also ordered ' Clear Air Turbulence' by IAN GILLAN BAND which I remember hearing way back at the time of it's release and liking but I never followed up on it. I was influenced to do so by many positive reviews here on PA.
     I do like my prog with fusion influences, so I'll have a wealth of listening ahead when the boat comes in.
Looking still the same after all these years...
mrgd
meptune View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2009 at 01:21
I've only heard Anchor Drops and assorted free pod cast stuff but I must say UM is a very cool band. I will look around for Mantis samples and I'll probably end up getting it when I have the cash.

"Arf, she said"
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2009 at 11:17
I already started a thread on this. But that's ok. _Mantis_ is not typical Umphrey's, who usually do jam band stuff with a little less jazz and a little more metal than Phish.

This album is a modern prog album, and it's wonderful. It may alienate some of their old fans, but it's modern prog at its best more in the eclectic vein of Beardfish. There's allusions to Beatles, Beach Boys, Ulver, plenty of heavy parts, some funky hooks. It's great.  I've put up my review already, but the bottom line is, get it.

Edited by Negoba - January 29 2009 at 11:20
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2009 at 12:12
I didn't really need to get into a new band but I tried the streaming tracks and now I had to order the top three rated. Big smile

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 04 2009 at 09:05
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2009 at 19:53
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

Mantis_ is not typical Umphrey's

true but neither was Safety In Numbers. and technically The Bottom Half. plus i want to see how they play these new songs live, because, like Phish, they slice and dice the songs, have jam sections within and outside the songs. should be an interesting tour, and am totally seeing them.

as far as trying to get into the band, id say start with Local Band Does OK, and work your way chronologically to Anchor Drops, skip SIN and TBH and get Mantis. Then when you're familiar with these albums, you'll be ready for SIN and TBH
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2009 at 19:56
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I didn't really need to get into a new band but I tried the streaming tracks and now I had to order the top three rated. Big smile

haha. Umphrey's should be mentioned more, and are very underrated on this site, considering their growing popularity. they take influence from Zappa, Phish, Yes, Dream Theater, King Crimson, Iron Maiden, Sabbath, etc. i dont think theyre influenced by TFK, SB, etc but they occasionally sound like them, mostly by accident IMO. if they are influenced by them, disregard that last statement..
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2009 at 16:46
I think they are more influenced by the bands you mentioned, but I think Mantis sounds much more like Spock's Beard than Maiden or even Dream Theater.

They are coming in two months to the awesome venue two blocks from my house!!! I'm just collecting folks for the concert.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
LiquidEternity View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2009 at 11:13
Love this band, though I only recently got into them. Mantis is a wonderfully powerful album, while both being a wide array of different approaches and a consistent album that doesn't sound like a mishmash of stuff. Very high quality, and much recommended. I'll write a review one of these days.

Highlights are the title track, Spires, and 1348. The latter sounds a lot like Fromuz to me, actually.
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2009 at 13:22
At first I did not think Mantis was as good as Anchor Drops but it is growing on me, play it loud.
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2009 at 10:43

I had never listened to Fromuz before, but I went and checked them out. The sound has some real similarities to Mantis. But then add harmony vocals and a little more groove and you'll get an idea of what the new UM album is like.

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2009 at 09:26
Can't believe it came in the mail Saturday and I missed it.  Found it yesterday after work and I'm impressed, hit the spot.

To use a cheesy movie commercial line "best album of 2009". LOL

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 04 2009 at 09:06
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2009 at 19:07
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

I already started a thread on this. But that's ok. _Mantis_ is not typical Umphrey's, who usually do jam band stuff with a little less jazz and a little more metal than Phish.

This album is a modern prog album, and it's wonderful. It may alienate some of their old fans, but it's modern prog at its best more in the eclectic vein of Beardfish. There's allusions to Beatles, Beach Boys, Ulver, plenty of heavy parts, some funky hooks. It's great.  I've put up my review already, but the bottom line is, get it.

I'm kind of reminded of XTC and The Bears along with another group Belew was (is?) associated with, The Irresponsibles, which I'm thinking are pretty much influenced by some the old guys you mentioned.  Looking forward to the other two older albums I ordered even if they aren't exactly like Mantis...

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 04 2009 at 09:11
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2009 at 00:34
dont forget the live stuff, i think i listen to live Umph more than studio. they get a little more jazz-fusion and funky, as well as jams and extended soloing. 
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2009 at 00:35
which reminds me. this band should not be in jazz-rock/fusion. theyre more than that........
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2009 at 09:14
Well, of course they are Zeuhl. LOL
From what I've heard so far, perhaps crossover or eclectic?

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 07 2009 at 17:26
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2009 at 15:58
I'd vote for eclectic, as prog goes they are most like Fromuz that someone mentioned, but also some bits of Echolyn and Beardfish.
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2009 at 02:27
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

dont forget the live stuff, i think i listen to live Umph more than studio. they get a little more jazz-fusion and funky, as well as jams and extended soloing. 

I definitely prefer them live.  As for Mantis, I have it but I haven't really had time to do more than skim through it yet.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2009 at 12:28
Originally posted by ghost_of_morphy ghost_of_morphy wrote:

Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I definitely prefer them live.  As for Mantis, I have it but I haven't really had time to do more than skim through it yet.

definitly listen some more. it grows on you, and gets better with every listen. i still listen to it about once a day, even after owning it for a couple of weeks now. i couldnt say that about Bedlam in Goliath a year ago.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2009 at 17:33
Uh oh, I'm at home alone not playing anything and I'm hearing the Mantis music in my head, help me...
LOL

I have some more McGees on the way, perhaps that will help.

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 07 2009 at 17:34
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>