Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Chrome Hoof - UK - Progressive/ Doom/ Disco/ Funk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedChrome Hoof - UK - Progressive/ Doom/ Disco/ Funk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chrome Hoof - UK - Progressive/ Doom/ Disco/ Funk
    Posted: January 29 2009 at 18:23
Interesting one....  I actually don't know the band that well yet, but am intrigued (the Magma-head in me is enjoying the Moss Covered Obelisk video (posted somewhere below). 

http://www.myspace.com/chromehoof

Progressive / Death Metal / Electro

"Laser-Ripened Fig"

London,
United Kingdom

Profile Views:  217421

Last Login:  29/01/2009
View My: Pics | Videos

MySpace URL: 

Chrome Hoof: General Info
Member Since13/03/2006
Band Websitechromehoof.com(expired)
Band Members
BAND MEMBERS:

Leo Smee
Milo Smee
Emmett Elvin
Mr Custard
Missy Em
Chloe Herington
Sarah Anderson
Lola Olafisoye

AND SOMETIMES
Daniel O'Sullivan, Demian, Jools, Fergus, Sam, Tim....

Pronoid EP out NOW
Buy it now

Pre-Emptive False Rapture
Buy it now

Influences

egg
univers zero
goblin
acid house
sabbath
freak beat
kraftwerk
esg
circulus
slayer
sun ra
faust
masterdon commitee
kate bush
magma
count coolout
cube's of misery

Here is the BBC bio (videos available at the same link --> http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/introducing/artists/chromehoof/

Originally posted by bbc bbc wrote:

Chrome Hoof, are a 10+ piece glam clad death disco outfit. They started life out as a project for brothers Leo and Milo Smee and have morphed into a prog doom army with a multitude of instruments including bassoon, violin, trumpet, guitar, keyboards, percussion and bass.

Here is the wikipedia entry ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrome_Hoof ):

Originally posted by wikipedia wikipedia wrote:

Chrome Hoof

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
Chrome Hoof
Chrome Hoof at the ATP Portishead Festival December 2007
Chrome Hoof at the ATP Portishead Festival December 2007
Background information
Origin London, England Flag of the United Kingdom
Genre(s) Experimental
Years active 2000-present
Label(s) Tritone Records, Rise Above Records, Southern Records
Associated acts Cathedral, Conmungos, Kruton, Spektrum
Website MySpace profile

Chrome Hoof are an experimental orchestra based in London, England. The group was formed in 2000 by Cathedral bassist Leo Smee and his brother Milo Smee. Initially performing as a duo, their music was mostly electronic. Since the start, however, the group have continuously recruited new members playing various instruments. As of 2007, the group have about ten members and instruments such as saxophone, trumpet, guitars, bass and drums.[1]

Being a large orchestra, Chrome Hoof's music spans several diverge music genres such as metal, electro and disco. Their music has also been described as futuristic and psychedelic.

//

[edit] Members

• Leo Smee - Bass/Vocals/Synth/Percussion
  • Milo Smee - Drums/Synth/Percussion
  • Emmett Elvin - Keyboards/Synth/Sampler
  • Andy "Mister" Custard - Guitar/Percussion
  • Emma Sullivan - Trumpet/Vocals/Keyboard/Percussion
  • Chloe Herington - Bassoon/Saxophone/Percussion
  • Sarah Anderson - Violin
  • Lola Olafisoye - Vocals
  • Tim Bowen - Cello
The following excerpt taken from Southern Records: Chrome Hoof biography

Originally posted by http://www.southern.com/southern/band/CHOOF/biog.php http://www.southern.com/southern/band/CHOOF/biog.php wrote:

...A little background into their Prog / Doom / Disco sound: In the early years, Leo was rocking to Motorhead, Sabbath, Maiden and dare we reveal Whitesnake. Heavy riffs sodden in bile and downward spirals. Later joining Trespass, then cult Doomers Cathedral - who he still plays for. Milo, on the other hand, was developing a taste for groove-based music - Acid House, Hip Hop and Disco. Going on to produce freakbeat electronics and remixes under the name Kruton, and starting 5 Mic Cluster (later to sign to Output Records) with fellow techno producer Mark Broom. Their common ground came through their love of forward thinking bands such as Faust, King Crimson, This Heat, Brain Ticket etc. They have been consolidating seemingly opposing influences ever since - and perhaps best crystallising their work with the mon-u-frikking-mental 'Pre-Emptive False Rapture' album....

(erm, cough, Magma)

(many others)

From http://www.last.fm/music/Chrome+Hoof :

Originally posted by lastfm lastfm wrote:

Generating a devoted cult following with their legendary live shows like a cornucopia of musical carnival freaks, bedecked in futuristic space-monk robes (they actually look like a reincarnation of Sun Ra’s Arkestra), generating euphoria, bewilderment and havoc with a ten foot tall chrome horned devil-ram dominating the dancefloor.

Chrome Hoof needs to be seen live to be believed.

Filthy disco-prog-doom-electro-screamo-acid-metal-vaudeville-funk never sounded so good.

From rateyourmusic ( http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/chrome_hoof ):

Released Title Cat# Reviews Ratings Chart [?] Overall
2004 Chrome Hoof TRITCD016  1 7

rate
2007 Pre-Emptive False Rapture   4 37

rate
2008 Appears on:Sample and Hold [Simian Mobile Disco]   2 15

rate
2007 Beyond Zade 2 issues

rate
<< hide Compilation
2007 Appears on:Monopoly of Brilliance [Various Artists - Labels - Southern Records] 281345 

rate
2007 Appears on:Wired [Various Artists - Books / Magazines - Classic Rock] ROC110/10/07  1 10

rate
2008 Appears on:Rare Trax Vol. 59 - Alien Soundtracks. A Trip Into Space-Rock [Various Artists - Books / Magazines - Rolling Stone] 09/2008 

rate

EDIT:  Here's the review/ description of Pre-Emptive False Rapture: http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=42232

Quote This band sound like nothing else you've ever heard - well, more accurately, they actually sound like a great many things you've heard before, just never played all at the same time. Initially this project was conceived as a bass and drums duo for Cathedral bassist Leo Smee and his brother Milo, giving the pair a platform to exorcise their mutual appreciation of '70s funk and disco. Soon they found themselves amassing new recruits, winding up with a large-scale troupe of multi-instrumentalists, and dedicated horn & string sections. That more or less brings us to this many-tentacled sea beast of a record. While the Scando-metal influence is thankfully all present and correct (see the operatic grindcore of the album's opener), you're quickly thrown into an entirely incongruous world of proto disco on the blistering 'Tonyte', which boasts some seriously fancy instrumental work and freakish, soulful stadium rock female vocals . Further madness ensues on 'Moss Covered Obelisk': after a brooding neo-classical opening on piano and strings, the track launches into some experimental jazz-rock that nods to Zappa and Sun Ra with similar degrees of irreverence. 'Death Is Certain!' is the most evidently metal-themed track on the album, with spectacular Nordic riffing and cookie monster vocals. Wrapping the album up, 'Egg 'n' Bass' drops some tight drum machine electro minimalism before the prog-funk epilogue 'Spokes Of Uridium', which makes like James Brown at a Goblin gig. It'd be a unique experience to witness all this business going on in a live setting. Even the band's Parliament-meets-Gwar dresscode matches their shameless genre-hopping. One of the strangest, most riotous releases in recent memory.

And from http://www.808state.com/discogs/propages/prochrome/chromehoof.htm concerning the Pronoid (Graham Massey remix) single:

PRESS RELEASEPress Release:

3 tracks 12 minutes. Limited edition 12 inch from disco queens Chrome Hoof. Dirty synths and electronic beats make these exclusive remixes ferocious! ... 

After the launch of Pre-Emptive False Rapture last year, the press, record buyers and gig goers in the UK have gone bananas for the futuresonic be-robed avatars of Year 3000 Disco, Chrome Hoof. ...

To coincide with a UK national tour in May, we are releasing a limited edition 12 inch single featuring a radio edit of their dancefloor filler “Pronoid”, plus a pair of completely different remixes from some admirers...

Packaging is suitably maximalist ... and features a disco sleeve of live photos of the band in full flight....

For fans of: Sun Ra, ESG, Goblin, Parliament/Funkadelic, Liquid Liquid, Black Sabbath, This Heat, Brain Ticket.
File under: Nowave-disco-prog-acid

So, be interested to hear what people think.

Edited by Logan - January 29 2009 at 21:11
Just a fanboy passin' through.
fusionfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2009 at 12:08
Very good!Preemptive False Rapture is in my 2008 Top Ten:they deserve inclusion and they're very weird.Thanks for giving me the idea of a new listen!
I was born in the land of Mahavishnu,not so far from Kobaia.I'm looking for the world

of searchers with the help from

crimson king
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2009 at 12:24
nice Cool (I've just ordered the album Approve)

...however I have no idea whether they belong here or not, or where they should be if they do Confused
What?
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2009 at 12:53
Yeah, after them, Carnival In Coal, Genghis Tron and I Wresteld A Bear Once!
Hey, wait, it could be a good idea...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2009 at 16:46
Rats, I'd written something of substance, but lost it with a mis-click of the mouse.  Incidentally, I notice that the embedded videos are disabled.  That's a shame.
This one I particularly liked (Magma fans will get it): Last.fm/presents Chrome Hoof - Moss Covered Oblisk

Originally posted by fusionfreak fusionfreak wrote:

Very good!Preemptive False Rapture is in my 2008 Top Ten:they deserve inclusion and they're very weird.Thanks for giving me the idea of a new listen!

Thanks.  I really like it, and would love to get that album at some time.  It's a really interesting and fun melange of influences/ styles and I love the zaniness.  It's different, yet familiar.  There must be PA people who have seen them live.

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

nice Cool (I've just ordered the album Approve)

...however I have no idea whether they belong here or not, or where they should be if they do Confused

You're getting the album?  Excellent.  I feel, especially after watching the videos (not just those listed), that it has definite PA merits.  I was more hesitant when I first came across it some time ago, but as I looked into it more it seemed more PA worthy; however, I wouldn't know where to place it.  It's on the Art Rock side, but none of the AR subs really fit it well, I think.  I'd say category: "Miscellaneous".  As for Prog Related, while it has a definite Prog influence, and Prog qualities, well, that just doesn't describe the music well enough, nor do I think that this is the kind of thing that that category was designed for.

I'll be interested to hear what you think when you get the album.

Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

I sure do love to open up cans of worms -- it's a progressive approach. :)
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2009 at 11:16
Before this falls off the page, does anyone else know this band and/or have thoughts to share?

Edited by Logan - January 31 2009 at 11:17
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2009 at 11:58
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

I sure do love to open up cans of worms -- it's a progressive approach. :)
Having given the three bands mentioned a brief (MySpace) listen I don't think the comparisons are valid. Although Chrome Hoof are a side project from the very wonderful British Progressive Doom pioneers Cathedral and are associated with Lee Dorrian's (Doom/Stoner/Prog-Psyche) Rise Above Records, they are not in the same genre(s) as the experimental/grindcore/advant metal of the other three since the "metal" is an element of Chrome Hoof's music rather than being the single defining trait.

What?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2009 at 12:37
Agreed, Dean.  I listened to Carnival of Coal yesterday (not for the first time), but didn't think the comparison valid.  And I would not suggest Chrome Hoof to the Prog Metal team.  If it could be fit in an existing Prog category, then it would be for an art rock sub.  Eclectic comes closest, methinks, because it has jazz-rock, Zeuhl, "Eclectic," metal, and avant qualities/ influence, but the "non-Prog" influences presents problems.  But if it is to be checked offically by a  team, I suppose that Eclectic would be a good place to start (I'd want to get Pre-Emptive first).
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2009 at 17:42

I like this post today from Dick Heath in the "Can you be both prog and alternative" thread:

Originally posted by Dick Heath Dick Heath wrote:

Originally posted by progrocker2244 progrocker2244 wrote:

Another good thread would be "Can you be both prog and rap?" that would be even more difficult to answer.

We've been there too.   As soon as an  artist, such as Allan Holdsworth contributes his guitar to a rap/hip hop album (i.e. Riptyde) the argument is as good as lost. Like Fripp playing punk or contributing to an turntablist album, as he has done. And prog music was not just about  the fusion of rock and classic, it is about the fusion of rock with any other form of music. It is disturbing that a movement that started out broadminded and looking for literal progression and the crossing of all sorts of boundaries, has become so narrowminded and conservative.
(actually, I *love* that quote)

...and that is in essence what we have here - a fusion of rock wih any other form of music - or more specifically a fusion of prog with (atypical) non-prog.
What?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2009 at 20:55
That's true, and I certainly do agree with Dick Heath's sentiments.

EDIT: And added to Crossover --> http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=4295
Thanks to all concerned.

Edited by Logan - February 15 2009 at 10:21
 Post Reply Post Reply