Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Steve Hackett with Chris Squire = new album(s)(?)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSteve Hackett with Chris Squire = new album(s)(?)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steve Hackett with Chris Squire = new album(s)(?)
    Posted: January 30 2009 at 06:54

The following statement is taken from Steve Hackett's official website www.stevehackett.com

"Steve is currently hard at work on lots of lovely new material for his next rock album. It's rumoured that the album will feature YES star Chris Squire on bass and vocals and Simon Phillips on drums and perhaps a few other surprise guests. In between times he's been putting in some time on a Hackett & Squire  album project."

Interesting indeed!

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2009 at 07:11
Well, since Hackett has turned away from trying to make commercial music, I'm guessing we won't get another GTR (the Hackett/Howe collaboration).

Edited by Slartibartfast - January 30 2009 at 09:49
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2009 at 07:21
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Well, since Hackett has turned away from trying to make commercial music, I'm guessing we won't get another GTR (the Hackett/Howe collaboration).

I wouldn't mind that actually, I like the GTR album very much! Shocked  I even think Hackett's much hated Cured album is quite nice. Only some of these songs here can be called commercial in my opinion.

But I'm sure Hackett and Squire will produce something more progressive. Hackett has indeed made some very good stuff lately - To Watch The Storms in particular Clap  + some excellent live DVDs.

Squire too has made good stuff recently with Conspiracy and The Syn.

Two of my favourite musicians working together, is something I must check out.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2009 at 09:54
Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

I wouldn't mind that actually, I like the GTR album very much! Shocked  I even think Hackett's much hated Cured album is quite nice. Only some of these songs here can be called commercial in my opinion.

But I'm sure Hackett and Squire will produce something more progressive. Hackett has indeed made some very good stuff lately - To Watch The Storms in particular Clap  + some excellent live DVDs.

I didn't actually slam GTR.  I liked it at the time.  Still have the LP somewhere.  Haven't listened to it in years though, which goes to show it didn't make a positive enough impression for me to get on CD.  Also don't have hard feelings for Cured, which I did get on CD.  Saw him live at the Atlanta Agora touring for that one.  Dirt cheap tickets. Big smile

Edited by Slartibartfast - January 30 2009 at 09:57
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2009 at 12:32
Hackett with Squire? Sounds promising. I just hope they won't ruin the whole thing for a reason or another.
If these two were ever thinking about a tour, I can't imagine the repertoire they would play...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2009 at 13:37
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Hackett with Squire? Sounds promising. I just hope they won't ruin the whole thing for a reason or another.
If these two were ever thinking about a tour, I can't imagine the repertoire they would play...

Lots of Yes and Genesis classics of course Tongue
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2009 at 13:46

Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

... I just hope they won't ruin the whole thing for a reason or another ...

I really don't think we should have unreasonable expectations about this. If the Hackett/Squire album ever sees the light of day it is not going to be as crossover between Selling England By The Pound and Close To The Edge. We know that already! It was that kind of expectations that made people so disapointed with project like GTR for example.

Give them some slack. They are two greats who hade found eath other and are obviously having fun together. Hopefully that will show in the music.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2009 at 13:51

I didn't actually slam GTR.  I liked it at the time.  Still have the LP somewhere.  Haven't listened to it in years though, which goes to show it didn't make a positive enough impression for me to get on CD.  Also don't have hard feelings for Cured, which I did get on CD.  Saw him live at the Atlanta Agora touring for that one.  Dirt cheap tickets. Big smile

Cool! Than must have been in 1981 or something? The same year I was born.

I listen more to the live album by GTR called Roundabout than the studio album. Roundabout is played as well as I Know What I Like! Max Bacon sings Roundabout very well, I Know What I Like a bit less so.

JesusisLord View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2009 at 14:03
 Did I understand this correctly but are there not two works being produced? One being a Hackett "rock" album that features Squire simply  as a guest musician and the second being,the currently being discussed, Hackett/Squire album project? If so, I am more excited about the Hackett solo work then the joint effort.... Great to hear that Hackett will be surrounding himself with grade A talent , A.K.A. Squire on bass, and the ever great Simon Phillips on drums etc,, I have  always felt that the musicians that Hackett surrounded himself with as of late,  were not up to the same par as The Master. ( Especially on the keys.)  I'll be looking for it..
And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father. Phillipians 2:11
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2009 at 14:07

Originally posted by JesusisLord JesusisLord wrote:

Did I understand this correctly but are there not two works being produced? One being a Hackett "rock" album that features Squire simply  as a guest musician and the second being,the currently being discussed, Hackett/Squire album project? If so, I am more excited about the Hackett solo work then the joint effort.... Great to hear that Hackett will be surrounding himself with grade A talent , A.K.A. Squire on bass, and the ever great Simon Phillips on drums etc,, I have  always felt that the musicians that Hackett surrounded himself with as of late,  were not up to the same par as The Master. ( Especially on the keys.)  I'll be looking for it..

That is correct. There will be another solo Hackett rock album, and then (maybe) later a Hackett/Squire album. Like yourself, I'm more excited about Hackett's solo album, but the joint effort can be interesting too.

I don't agree with you on his current band though. I have never seen them live IRL, but the band he has behind him on the Somewhere In South America and Once Above A Time DVD's are incredibly good!!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2009 at 14:18

I don't agree with you on his current band though. I have never seen them live IRL, but the band he has behind him on the Somewhere In South America and Once Above A Time DVD's are incredibly good!!

Good true but great? Exciting? Standout? I don't think so.....Roger King I'm sure is an learned musician but He is no Wakeman or Moraz.... To be honest I find his performing a bit boring especially his solos... Gary O'Toole is his drummer and once again ,He his good , but Portnoy good? My point is, I find Hackett to be exciting, innovative and his rock material energetic and I want to see him surrounded by the same....
And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father. Phillipians 2:11
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2009 at 14:31

Good true but great? Exciting? Standout? I don't think so.....Roger King I'm sure is an learned musician but He is no Wakeman or Moraz.... To be honest I find his performing a bit boring especially his solos... Gary O'Toole is his drummer and once again ,He his good , but Portnoy good? My point is, I find Hackett to be exciting, innovative and his rock material energetic and I want to see him surrounded by the same....

I get your point, Roger King is indeed very laid back and not at all a flashy performer (though Tony Banks wasn't either). He is certainly no Wakeman or Moraz . And the rest of the band do not steel the show either. But they are after all a backing band for a solo artist and as such they are very good. Not flashy, but incredibly solid.

It was great when Hackett worked with Ian McDonald and John Wetton though, as seen on the Tokyo Tapes DVD.

fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2009 at 14:58
I certainly prefer O'Toole's lead vocals to Squire's.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2009 at 15:04
Originally posted by fuxi fuxi wrote:

He did sing Blood On The Rooftops very well indeed, quite similar to Collins. Have you heard him sing anywhere else too? Apart from this song on the Once Above A Time DVD.

Edited by SouthSideoftheSky - January 30 2009 at 15:07
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2009 at 15:05
Tokyo Tapes is great !!! I love the song selection !! Genesis ,Crimson, Hackett and even the Asia sounded good!!! As concerning Hackett's current back up,   It is true what you say, they are the backing band, Hackett the conductor. Maybe He has no desire for a Portnoy or a Moraz in his orchestra even though i might.!!!..... Regardless, let us look forward to the new music from both Hackett and Mr. Rickenbacker.......
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2009 at 15:21

Tokyo Tapes is great !!! I love the song selection !! Genesis ,Crimson, Hackett and even the Asia sounded good!!! As concerning Hackett's current back up,   It is true what you say, they are the backing band, Hackett the conductor. Maybe He has no desire for a Portnoy or a Moraz in his orchestra even though i might.!!!..... Regardless, let us look forward to the new music from both Hackett and Mr. Rickenbacker.......

Indeed, Tokyo Tapes is excellent!! Contains the best version of Heat Of The Moment I ever heard. John Wetton can handle as kinds of material really.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2009 at 15:42
Since I seem to have your attention South Side, are you the one I should thank for all of the great Yes videos uploaded on Youtube? If so, let me say that the video ( speaking of Moraz) of Sound Chaser utterly blew what little mind I have left !!!! I vividly remember that tour, it being a definite hightlight of my young life. Yes, Relayer and opened up by Gentle Giant...Wow...,
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2009 at 15:54

Since I seem to have your attention South Side, are you the one I should thank for all of the great Yes videos uploaded on Youtube? If so, let me say that the video ( speaking of Moraz) of Sound Chaser utterly blew what little mind I have left !!!! I vividly remember that tour, it being a definite hightlight of my young life. Yes, Relayer and opened up by Gentle Giant...Wow...,

Sounds like an amazing experience! I am not the one however, I have never uploaded anything on YouTube. Is there someone called SouthSideOfTheSky there?
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2009 at 16:47

Originally posted by fuxi fuxi wrote:

He did sing Blood On The Rooftops very well indeed, quite similar to Collins. Have you heard him sing anywhere else too? Apart from this song on the Once Above A Time DVD.

No, that's precisely the performance that impressed me too.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2009 at 17:14

I was quite surprised that they played the whole Blood On The Rooftops. I was expecting only the acoustic intro that Hackett usually do. A pleasant surprise.

Edited by SouthSideoftheSky - January 30 2009 at 17:15
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>