Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCem Karaca (Turkish progressive master)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cem Karaca (Turkish progressive master)
    Posted: August 14 2009 at 01:15
I have 21. Peron's album, but I don't hear much prog in it (then again, I don't hear it much anyway!)I had the impression that first the "giant" names should have been introduced into the archives, and I was successful in Mogollar and Erkin Koray, but sadly no conclusion in Cem Karaca (people usually get stuck in the shell and just can't go deep into the essence), and I failed to follow up Baris Manco's case after being found not so suitable by eclectic prog team. These are the "tree big ones" of the Turkish (Anatolian) Rock scene (on solo artist level) and the most prominent band so far. Honestly, even I don't find much prog characteristics in other artists' and bands' works, even if sometimes they did a couple of very good prog songs, or even a full blown prog album or two (Üç Hürel and Bunalim as bands, and Edip Akbayram, Selda, Ersen, Fikret Kizilok etc. as artists) And not being a fan of "recent" works (i.e. anything after mid-eighties, when Turkey is concerned), I'd rather see these "vintage" musicians in the database than newer acts. (honestly, I haven't listened a single note from Replikas yet, but I heard some samples from Siddharta, and interestingly I was among the team which approved their addition... As for the other relatively new Turkish band -Nekropsi-, I have known them for a long time, and though I like their music, they're too metal for my taste Smile)

Listen to Turkish psych/prog; you won't regret:
Baris Manco,Erkin Koray,Cem Karaca,Mogollar,3 Hürel,Selda,Edip Akbayram,Fikret Kizilok,Ersen (and Dadaslar) (but stick with the '70's, and 'early 80's!)
geraldpsyche View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2009 at 12:36
good idea about adding Siddharta too. Both albums are interesting, but very different. But there are more psychedelic/progressive Turkish bands of today : Replykas and perhaps REplikas are I think  the most esential new Turkish bands not to miss. But also Hayvanlar Alemi is very interesting even when they didn't have any official releases yet. From the 70s easily overlooked is 21.Peron. http://progressive.homestead.com/21PERON.html
Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2009 at 05:48
You provided in a nutshell all positive aspects of Cem Karaca's music, which I couldn't manage even if I wrote pages! Thanks...
Unfortunately, unofficial recordings are not admitted into progarchives discographies, so apparently not regarded while evaluating... Being a Turk, I myself would like to get hold of such recordings ... They simply don't pop up so often.

As for his collaboration with Mogollar, now that the band is added (into folk-prog), I am planning to add their 3 singles, all of which are credited collectively. Unfortunately, the other recordings they made together are only released in Karaca's compilation albums afterwards, so there's no way I could fit them into Mogollar's discography.
Listen to Turkish psych/prog; you won't regret:
Baris Manco,Erkin Koray,Cem Karaca,Mogollar,3 Hürel,Selda,Edip Akbayram,Fikret Kizilok,Ersen (and Dadaslar) (but stick with the '70's, and 'early 80's!)
geraldpsyche View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2009 at 06:40

I understand how the apreciation towards Cem Kara won't be easy while at the same time he is also one of the most powerful voices of the Turkish rock scene. But the music styles you will find him singing however will range very much, from severe mellowness chanson until powerful progressive song-based rock music. Especially the music after his return to Turkey I don't think will appeal much to anyone over here. But he should not be under-estimated. His first records were surely progressive, in a rock-sense, and Safinaz is symphonic piece comparable to a more rocky Ange or so. It remains rock music. Especially the period with Mogollar should appeal to collectors. Unfortunately the best recordings from his symphonic period never made it to disk. I heard an unofficial live recording around Safinaz, which had incredible progressive music solos on organ which should amaze any progressive rock lover. I once showed it to a music lover, and he was convinced this must have been an English progressive rock band that was playing. The best starter I think is the compilation Ölumsuzler from which you can hear a few samples on http://www.tulumba.com/storeItem.asp?ic=MU940401WA696

This album has all the tracks with strong rather progressive arrangements.
I also very much like his German rock album which has very strong lyrics in German.
Dervisan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2009 at 00:58
bilek, it s for you only.. ankara 77 "sevdan beni"  and please tell them in anatolian prog psyc rock they didnt play flute(only few songs have this) because we have got  "saz, bağlama, ıklığ, kemane"... it seems strange for them but it s our tradation we cant live with their tradation, and they couldnt too..

Cem Karaca - Dervisan / Sevdan Beni  live ankara 1977

http://www.imeem.com/progressiverock/music/bZBjz-nB/cem-karaca-dervisan-06-sevdan-benimp3/

cem karaca - Dervisan / Kavga live ankara 1977

http://www.imeem.com/progressiverock/music/twSRqqfs/05-kavgamp3/

Cen Karaca - Dervisan / Niyazi live ankara 1977

http://www.imeem.com/progressiverock/music/VnOUjqnO/09-niyazimp3/

Cem Karaca - Moğollar / Obur Dünya live  (with Hüseyin Sultanoğlu's wonderful drum solo)

http://www.imeem.com/progressiverock/music/vKjne7y1/cem-karaca-mogollar-obur-dnya-trt/

bye for now....

Edited by Dervisan - May 23 2009 at 22:18
Turkish (Anatolian) Progressive Psychedelic Ethnical Rock
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2009 at 08:35
I find this thread very interesting (and entertaining). Not whether the artist in question is added, but whether the collaborators are going to cave under the pressure or not. Big smile 
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2009 at 05:29
One more Turkish act has been added this weekend though - Siddhartha. Don't know if that outfit has been mentioned somewhere in this thread already.
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2009 at 05:12
Originally posted by Dervisan Dervisan wrote:

i am bored dean... tell me what will you do???
I will discuss this with Bilek. Bilek is working on adding one Anatonlian Rock artist to Psyche/Space Rock we are undecided about the others. I recomend you leave this with us and post no more samples and links as we are now overloaded - you have presented us with enough information to make a decision.

I feel that the subject needs better coverage within Prog Archives although the development from 1960s Psyche Rock did not follow the same path as English, German and American pscyhe into what is defined as Progressive Rock. We will resolve this in someway - I just don't know how at the moment.

I know you are passionate about this but I must ask you to be less forceful with the Collaborators - we are all volunteers here and do this because we want to, not because we have to.
What?
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2009 at 21:21
Hey, I'm not kidding with you, I don't kid with people, if I see a post worth answering, I reply, if not, I just ignore it, if I reply to your post is because I care, and I assume you're ready to accept any honest answer, but seems that's not the case.

I'm not an expert in Turkish Prog or Turkish Folk, but I have an idea of what is Prog and what is not,  and you asked my opinion

say me what is this ivan? only a simple song??

I answered, but you don't like the answer so you kick the board and become aggressive, if you don't want to learn from me, it's your problem, I'm learning a lot from you.

Now, I'm not the one who said you know nothing about Prog, you said it.:

sorry but if you can say cem karaca-dervisan and cem karaca-edirdahan bands havent done prog rock and if it s true i will never listen prog rock again... because i dont know anything about this music...

I don't know you, much less your knowledge, and I never give opinions about what i don't know,

I believe you misunderstood my posts, until know I showed nothing but respect for Cem Karaca's music, but i don'tt believe he's a 100% Prog artist, and that's my honest opinion.

Some collaborators recieve insults, and aggessions, but they go on, you have received only polite but honest replies, simply you haven't received the replies you wanted and that pisses you.

You say you are here to promote YOUR COUNTRY'S MUSIC, we are all here to promote Prog from every country, If I cared only about my country  bands, what a loss of time it would be, if one is accepted, great, if not, also great.

At the end neither you or me will decide anything about Cem Karaca being added, this is a discussion forum and I only give opinions because I'm entitled to give them, other teams will decide

I hope he's accepted in Prog Related, because long before you came i was asking for his addition to PR,

Originally posted by Ivan_MelgarM on May 20 2007 at 00:24 Ivan_MelgarM on May 20 2007 at 00:24 wrote:

1. Cem Karaca: Another hard task, the guy is from Turkey, except for Allmusic (Not reliable at all) all the info is in Turkish and his lyrics are mostly in Ancient Anatolian. Cem Karaca was a prolific and polemic musician/Marxist politician who had an amazing live, even accused of treason because of his ideas and later received a pardon. For the samples I could find everywhere and the information available, he played some sort of Pop/Proggish ethnic music, not adequate for Symphonic at all, even made some Rap…In Anatolian!!!!The Orchestral tracks are the less Prog (A paradox) sound like French Chanson in some weird language  but very mainstream

I don’t dare to recommend him to Prog Folk, too mainstream IMHO, should be checked for Prog Related……According to Bob could be Avant Rio mostly for the lyrics BUT NO WAY SYMPHONIC…..

And still believe that where he should be along with many great artists who are not 100% Prog, and if he's accepted by any team, I will respect their opinion even if i don't share it.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - April 19 2009 at 19:06

Dervisan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2009 at 21:04
i never say that i am an expert of prog rock .. but i am an expert of turkish prog psyche rock... are you an expert of turkish prog and psyche??? if you dont, you can learn something...

it s enough to know general rules of prog to say where is the place turkis prog and psyche in world prog and psyche music

i wanna say a lot of thing to you but my english knowledge dont let me...

i wanna try to promote my country's prog or not, rock music and you are learning.. but you are kidding with me.. who are you ivan?? my father?? i dont wanna discuss this with you anymore.. pls go and kidding with another child...  (it s strange and really offensive words and really offended me)

absolutely i will learn a lot in my every age.. but i wont learn them from you, sorry.. 

i am bored dean... tell me what will you do???
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2009 at 20:59
But don't worry, I decide nothing here, except in the Symphonic Team, and Cem Karavca is not Symphonic.

I believe other teams have the responsability of deciding here, Prog Related and maybe the Prog Folk Team, but that's their call.

I only give my opinion.

Iván

Dervisan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2009 at 20:27
i have send a message but i have deleted it .. i think i need some silence... 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2009 at 20:01

sorry but if you can say cem karaca-dervisan and cem karaca-edirdahan bands havent done prog rock and if it s true i will never listen prog rock again... because i dont know anything about this music...

That's not the answer Dervisan.

When I joined my first Prog Forum back in the late 90's, i knew about 20 or 30 bands, and thought I was an expert.

Today I know about 800, and i'm convinced I know very little, because there's so much Prog out there.

So if you think you don''t know a lot of Prog, no problem, you are still young I guess, and you have time to learn a lot, and Prog Archives is the best place.

Iván

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2009 at 19:09

http://www.imeem.com/progressiverock/music/_5SuDs67/cem_karacadervisan_04_maden_ocaginin_dibindemp3/

say me what is this ivan? only a simple song??

You want an honest answer?

It's a very simple Folkish track witrh heavy Rock fugues, but mainly is one chorus repeated several times, the keyboard sounds very Psyche oriented with some Deep Purple reminiscences (seems like a copy of the organ sections of BURN in some passages), but at the most Prog Related IMHO.

This doesn't mean i don't like the track, it's very catchy, but not remotely Prog.

Even if it was a Prog track (which is not in my opinion), you judge an artist by a career, anmd in his 40 years seems he diidn't recorded a single 100% Prog album, so it's place IMO is Prog Related as i said a couple years ago.

Iván

BTW; King Crimson is 41 years old and is Prog in every release, The Rolling Stiones are not Prog (maybe related in Their Satanic majesties Request)and much older, The Who also 44 or 45 years old and only 2 related albums, so being long time obn the spot, doesn't make an artist Prog.

BTW II: Don't worry, i don't feel offended by your words.

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - April 18 2009 at 19:12

Dervisan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2009 at 18:35
Dervisan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2009 at 18:29
owww i am sorry ivan ... but i wrote these words for npjnpj... because he said "i didnt listen all links" ... and really i didnt want to say a bad thing.. you know my english is really terrible...

and i trust your honesty.if i dont i never say "your trouble came back ivan"  Smile absolutely i understand you but i need more comments about cem karaca and the others.. but i think it s really so hard in here..

again i have to say cem karaca-dervişan's "sevdan beni" or "parka" or "kerem gibi" or "maden ocağının dibinde" are better that a lot of songs in this site that you promote.. we are talking about long time not only 1 or 2 years.. sorry but cem karaca-apaşlar's (with freddy klein orchestra) songs are more prog that a lots in this site... i try to say this..

absolutely he hasnt done progressive in his all music life because his music life is nearly 40 years ivan, 40 yearsssss .. who did this?? camel?? genesis?? who??

Edited by Dervisan - April 18 2009 at 18:30
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2009 at 12:22

i think you never listen my all links... it s so bad... i have worked hard to upload them...

ok listen them all anf after that speak.. if you havent listen them yet please dont speak... i wish you listen and speak with me...

Please don't disrespect me, I never speak without listening first.

I listened each and every link you provided, giving an opinion without having heard your links, would be a disrespect for the site, you and for me.

You say you worked hard to add the links of an artist you want to add, many of us worked four years adding hundreds of bands others provided, with absolutely no special interest for the artist,, being that in some cases we didn't even knew them before the suggestion 

You are a newbie, so you don't know me, I may discuss and debate, but in four years here, I have never done it without a previous and careful research, maybe you talk because you are able discuss without knowing, I can't, that would be silly and futile.

Heard his nmusic and all your links, researched obn other places but still think he's barely related.

Iván

PS: I won't stop speaking for you or for anybody.

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - April 15 2009 at 12:29

Dervisan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2009 at 10:19
i think you never listen my all links... it s so bad... i have worked hard to upload them...

ok listen them all anf after that speak.. if you havent listen them yet please dont speak... i wish you listen and speak with me...
Dervisan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2009 at 10:09
i am back .. i m really sorry .. i couldnt be online because of my job.. i have left it already :D i am not used to work hard :D

hi everybody again :) ivan. your trouble is here hehe :D
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2009 at 02:10
Weekend's over and coming back to you as promised: Sorry, my impressions haven't changed, I'm with Ivan on this one.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>