Topic ClosedVan Halen Plans New Material

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Van Halen Plans New Material
    Posted: February 03 2009 at 08:33
Eddie Van Halen has given Van Halen fans cause to celebrate after revealing he's planning to regroup with his son, brother and frontman David Lee Roth to record new material.

The Van Halens and Lee Roth hit the road for a successful hits tour in 2007 and now the quartet is intent on releasing an album of new songs.

Guitar great Eddie Van Halen tells Spinner.com he plans to hit the studio with his son Wolfie, brother Alex and Lee Roth after his June wedding to publicist Janie Liszewski.

He says, "I hope that after Janie and I get married, and Wolfie graduates, that we sit down and discuss recording new music, which I have tons of.

"If Dave's up for singing... then (we'll) do another tour, and just see where it takes us. Actually, next week or the week after Wolfie, Alex, and I are gonna start jamming. Maybe we'll give Dave a call and see what he's up to. He's off, always doing his own thing, and he checks in every now and then to see how we're doing.

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2009 at 08:38

I am looking forward to this, thank you for the cause to celebrate.

debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2009 at 11:57
Yeah, but how could EVH ever hope to top Van Halen III ? And can he equal the artistry & success of Kiss' comeback album - Psycho Circus ?
Methinks the probability is low as to getting great or good stuff. Unless Eddie is pissed off and ready to go back to basics (i.e. guitar ----> amp, volume = 11)
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2009 at 17:14
hmm, cool, though I'm still waiting for the Eddie solo album

BTW I do hope Roth gets his act together this time, his stage behavior when I saw them in '84 was shockingly unprofessional

debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2009 at 19:38
Eddie's off &  back stage behaviour has been noted as exceeding Roth's supposed unprofessionalism ...
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2009 at 20:47
 ^ maybe, but I haven't witnessed it.. I did witness Roth nearly ruin a show;  he was piss drunk and would stop songs in the middle to bullsh*t with the audience, and this wasn't the typical VanHalen party thing, it was like 'I don't care anymore'  (which he probably didn't at the time)

Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2009 at 21:20
As much as I love some of Van Halen's material to absolute death (in particular the first two albums hold a special place in my heart), I'm not expecting anything new good material from them.
I think the band peaked many years ago and never ever got back to where they were.

That said, hey, they could surprise me and churn out something cool, who knows? They're all fantastic and talented musicians after all, that's undeniable.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2009 at 21:27
I suspect Eddie has a few good riffs left in him, OU812 and Carnal Knowledge case in point (though that was a long time ago)

Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2009 at 21:30
^I don't doubt Eddie has some good riffs left in him. He was always a great riff writer and has certainly wrote some of my favorite riffs of all time, but for me where it fell down was the overall package of the song writing.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2009 at 08:21
I like the sound of this.

One of my best memories is when I got to see the band live with the classic line-up, what a show that was, way back in the early 80s.

I always loved their over-the-top stageshow and the brilliant solo spots.  A bit ELP-ish in their attitude you could say.  Check out Live Without A Net (not the classic line-up tho') as evidence of that, it's a 90 minute show and only about 10 songs!!!! The rest is solos.

Whilst I suspect Hughesy will probably be right, I'd be very interested to hear something new from VH.
 Post Reply Post Reply