Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCephalic Carnage (Progressive Grindcore)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cephalic Carnage (Progressive Grindcore)
    Posted: February 11 2009 at 05:46
Here's one for the Prog Metal Team to ponder on. Probably the most progressive outfit in the grindcore scene today, this experimental Deathgrind/Grindcore band have been pushing boundries to limits ever since their first album in 1998. Cut to the chase, here are three of their most progressive works, one from each of their latest albums Lucid Interval, Anomalies and Xenosapien.

To me, even at first listen, they stand out as being not your ordinary Grind band. In Pseudo you can hear a fair bit of complexity, dynamic progression and even a spot of avante. Ontogeny of Behaviour is probably their most progressive song to date whilst not even being entirely grindcore. Finally, in Global Overhaul Device you have a very post-metal feel with even saxophone and some melodic vocals added to the mix.

Of course, there is plenty more where all that came from in their discography, but I think you get the idea. I am aware that the prog umbrella is getting a little... wide, but I can honestly see this lot fitting in quite nicely into the Tech/Extreme Prog Metal subgenre or maybe even under Experimental Metal. They are a deep band though and deserve some evaluation either way, although I won't kick up a fuss if they aren't added to the Archives.

Other tracks that should be checked out are Molting (Xenosapien), Anthro Emesis (Lucid Interval) and Wraith (Anomalies). Seriously, I think this band should be investigated and will probably be the heaviest thing to happen to PA if they are included.

What do you guys think?
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
 Post Reply Post Reply