Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFavourite Metallica Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Poll Question: What is your favourite Metallica album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [5.11%]
31 [22.63%]
46 [33.58%]
35 [25.55%]
8 [5.84%]
3 [2.19%]
1 [0.73%]
4 [2.92%]
2 [1.46%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2016 at 10:10
1. RTL
2. KEA
3. MOP
4. the rest....yawn

uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 02:29
Black Album - some fine tunes - the A sides to Load / Reload's B sides. Though Load has some decent numbers on it. 4, 3, 2 stars in that order. Once Metallica play "normal" hard rock rather than thrash then it would be good if the vocals matched. He sounds a bit OTT comical when shouting over a groove.

Master Of Puppets - Speed metal at it's best. Very technical.

Justice - I could listen to the tape but the production is so awful - this self indulgence was appalling. Decent numbers and I used to use it as, of all things a chill-out listen. Along with Iron Maiden and Beethoven. Funny how the world works.

Ride The Lightning. Fine album though the intro need not be restarted several times, Sounds like they strat from the same point which they do instead of another one. But other than that, all fine.

Kill 'em All - a now deceased bro in law played this and I thought it was kind of horrible. He led it but to me it sounded like an abbatoir.

Not heard Death Magnetic. It's vote quantity makes me curious. Just not that much.

I've seen (as in video) bit of St Anger. No guitar solos is a strange way of breaking up the tedium - oops I mean highlighting the musical climax of the music. One day but I find chasing down albums that have little love less than motivating.

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 03:22
I'm hardly a massive Metallica fan, but I do proudly own all of these (and will absolutely buy the new one when it's released shortly), but I honestly don't think there's a single truly bad album in this collection. They committed the ultimate sin as far as a large amount of heavy metal fans go by actually progressing, experimenting with their music (even if you'd hardly say it's `experimental music', if that makes sense! ) and trying different things, but they are simply a fine rock band.

I'm inclined to think `Master of Puppets' is their best, but....f**k it, I'm going `Load', because there's a dozen different styles on it and simply a bunch of great tunes that frequently kick ass. `Bleeding Me' is kind of proggy too!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 04:16
What about LULU ? I don't like Lou Reed, so I've steered clear of it, although it has massively long tracks.
O.K. I dig all the early 'classics', particularly RTL, but, believe it or not, Death Magnetic floors me !! It gets the first vote here from me
And I will be jumping on the up-coming release as soon as it appears in the vinyl racks.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 04:29
If it's got Lou Reed on it, Tom, I'd say the lengthy tracks are probably mostly made up of his rambling, dreary, `oh so cool' spoken-word crap...
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 04:39
^ I think it is. And he bores the sh*t out of me. The only thing I can tolerate from him is TVU & Nico.
It may be sad but true (pun intended), but it's definitely DM for me.
Gawd, that's production on AJFA is crap. Poor Newstead, he may as well have not been there......I knew this the moment I first spun this album back in '89.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 04:49
I honestly don't think I've listened to `And Justice for All' since I was in high school, Tom! So, at least 22 years? Back then when I was a kid, I didn't pay much attention to `bass' and the instruments properly, but over the years whenever I've read about the album, it would constantly mention the production, mixing and lack of bass, etc, so I wonder if I listened to it now it would be completely obvious?

Heh, as much as I really dug it when it came out, I haven't played `Death Magnetic' much lately, so I'm going to dig it out for the work trip tomorrow. Ha, I'm finishing at 9pm tonight, home by 10pm, then I have to get up at 5am tomorrow to get back into work for a 7am shift, so it might be good to have someting louder and heavier to keep me awake on the drive in!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2016 at 02:09
^ I love Death Magnetic as much as White Feathers......... (Kajagoogoo) ...............go figure, but I'm sincere in this assessment..........I'm not schizo, nor bi-polar...., but I truly dig this sh*t..........(along with Gorguts and Caravan......).
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2016 at 02:30
No, but you can be a broken record player stuck on repeat, because WE GET IT, you LOVE Kajagoogoo enough to shoehorn it in to every forum thread no matter how unrelated!

Anyway...I got as far as the first six tracks on `Death Magnetic' again today, and I still agree with you, it's a really fine disc! I remember you instantly praised it when it came out and convinced me to get it, although I'll admit it sat on the pile for a while before I eventually got around to spinning it!

It's so strange - they change their style, people accuse them of selling out and going soft. They bring the heavy riffing and thrashy drums back, and now they're apparently just doing the same old sh*t! I don't know, I thought it was a good mix of their old school `riffery' with stronger melodies and song-writing (although perhaps Hatfield is taking the lyrics really over-seriously these days!). I don't think there was a single poor second in what I heard again today though!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2016 at 02:48
^ Thanks Mike for fe-iterating the fact I truly admire the 'Goo with Limahl and Beggs. Don't crucify me.....
And yes, DM is awesome. I don't understand those who say they sold out. And I can't grasp the idea of those who claim Lars is a crappy drummer. He's a f**king PIONEER. This awesome extreme metal today wouldn't exist without Lars' catalyst ................ He may be too old these days to develop amazing double-foot techniques as modern dudes do, but he inspired them, and I will bow down to his influence..............
Lars still does a fantastic job. Even he said that modern drummers do amazing things with their feet. And they do ; Patrice Hamelin is a PHENOMENAL example, and John Longstreth, and Tomas Haake. No doubt, influenced by Lars' ideals.........
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2016 at 02:59
It's all good, man...I understand, buddy, sorry. I barely got 4 hours sleep last night, and I'm back early tomorrow as well, so I'm still kind of in a daze.

I was being careful to especially listen to Lar's drumming on `Death Magnetic, and I honestly thought it was no better or worse than it needed to be, he delivers exactly what is needed on that album. Oh, what, some people think it's rubbish that he doesn't deliver a Portnoy-esque extravaganza while spinning one drumstick in his fingers and jamming the other up his rear-end while STILL managing to reel off a string of blurring time-changes?! Please, Metallica's music never demanded that much complexity!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2016 at 03:06
^ Though not exactly 'simplistic' either.........
And I'm certain it's easier to pull off the bass-line to Leper Messiah than Too Shy...........
.......just try..............................
I'm not trying to claim any form of tolerance, or eclecticism, never. But I admire musicianly approaches to any genre music I've heard.   And I think the Goo are much better than Duran Duran..........
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2016 at 11:52
Ride the Lightning, still one of the heaviest albums ever made.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2016 at 11:53
I went for MoP, but another day it'd be RtL.  

Apart from the $5.98 EP they may as well have ceased to exist after MoP as far as I'm concerned. But I retain a huge fondness for the earlier work. I still remember the day in 1984 when I went to my friend's house because he'd just got an album that I had to hear. We'd have been fifteen. When the needle dropped and the acoustic intro to Fight Fire With Fire gave way to the riff my jaw was on the floor. First exposure to thrash; a new world opened. Prior to this Motorhead was the fastest and heaviest thing we'd known of. 

Happy days!

doompaul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2016 at 12:05
I like Lulu.
The Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2017 at 02:59
1. Ride the Lightning (voted)
2. Master of Puppets
3. Kill 'em all
4. And justice for all
5. Black album
End!

Edited by The Jester - January 05 2017 at 03:00
If anybody wants please visit: http://www.gfreedomathina.blogspot.com/

This is my Blog mostly about Rock music, but also a few other things as well.

You are most welcome!

Thank you. :)
Modrigue View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2017 at 03:28
Originally posted by The Jester The Jester wrote:

1. Ride the Lightning (voted)
2. Master of Puppets
3. Kill 'em all
4. And justice for all
5. Black album

^ This
Pelata View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2017 at 12:41
RTL and I no longer bother with anything after MOP.
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2017 at 16:16
1-Death Magnetic
2-Hardwired
3-Ride the Lightning
4-...And Justice for All
5- Kill 'em All

Then the rest, except for the vomit-inducing abominations most of us call St. Anger and Lulu.
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2017 at 18:24
Originally posted by angelmk angelmk wrote:

i am not Metallica fan at all, but my vote here goes for Master Of Puppets

Same here.Wink
Shake & bake.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>