Poll Question: Which one do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
8 [47.06%]
9 [52.94%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Randy or Eddie?
    Posted: February 16 2009 at 15:12
I barely like both(well 3) bands which they worked with, but curious(like alwaysWink)....
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2009 at 15:21
RIP Randy, you died way before your time. 

My vote is for Eddie. 
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2009 at 15:25
oh you b*****d!   Such a hard choice..  I mean Eddie was the man and almost single-handedly brought modern rock guitar to a whole new level, and no one touched him in the rock arena for innovation, tone, and great riffs

...on the other hand the same could be said of Randy, a master guitarist (more than Eddie) and the player that took metal beyond the Sabbath/Zeppelin/Maiden mold with his fusion of true classical and hard rock years before Yngwie, brilliant solos, and his staccato up/down strumming, and the player got me into doing music

I really can't choose, usually I say Randy but Eddie deserves as much credit and did a bit more to advance the electric guitar

yeah, I dunno, sorry

The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2009 at 15:28
^if you don't vote, then don't postStern SmileTongue

Seriously now, is it me, or you ommitted the great Purple and the Man in Black for it's neo-classical guitar style !
jimidom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2009 at 15:30

While both were major influences on a whole generation of shredders, Randy's style was far more interesting than Edward's, and the beautiful "Dee" was a far better acoustic number than the campy "Spanish Fly", IMHO. Heck, Randy's tapping technique like on "Flying High Again" was better than Edwards. I also loved how Randy would double or even triple his guitar parts to get his signature sound.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - HST

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2009 at 15:33
Originally posted by cacho cacho wrote:

^if you don't vote, then don't postStern SmileTongue

Seriously now, is it me, or you ommitted the great Purple and the Man in Black for it's neo-classical guitar style !

well OK, Blackmore too, I guess maybe.. but Rhoads was an accomplished classical player before he did rock, and that authenticity is in the songs

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2009 at 15:34
Originally posted by jimidom jimidom wrote:

While both were major influences on a whole generation of shredders, Randy's style was far more interesting than Edward's, and the beautiful "Dee" was a far better acoustic number than the campy "Spanish Fly", IMHO. Heck, Randy's tapping technique like on "Flying High Again" was better than Edwards. I also loved how Randy would double or even triple his guitar parts to get his signature sound.

he was an amazing overdubber indeed

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2009 at 16:03
Just to throw another name out there, how's about the Motor City Madman, "Uncle" Ted Nugent.  He was doing some pretty cool stuff on his guitar before Randy and Eddie were even playing.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2009 at 16:20
 ^ Ted is a mighty good player and has gotten better over the years, I guess his music was a bit over the top

Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2009 at 16:30
Both are big influences on my playing and both are guitar gods to me.
EVH had the better guitar tone, easily, since I found Randy's tone to be quite sterile and sometimes buzzy in the case of the Tribute album.
But I can't choose both.

It's Randy, easily.
Not just as a guitar player, but as a human being, he was a gift to the world and when he left us, we lost someone truly special.
His solos on Mr Crowley are some of the best solo ever written in the history of rock guitar and in general, I've always like his soloing more than EVH's.

I think if Randy were alive today, he would have progressed considerably further than EVH on the guitar.
Look at how much he progressed in the space of one year from Blizzard of Ozz to Diary Of a Madman.
His riffs were more complicated, his solos more elaborate at times and his compositions more out there.
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2009 at 19:28
Edward all the way. The man really changed the way people approached the guitar. Maybe even more so than Hendrix.

E
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2009 at 00:11
Eddie.  Although I think his head is bloated beyond belief thanks to himself and the media.  And I don't care for 1984 or anything after it.   But those first 4 albums are fantastic fun due in part to Mr. Roth, but Eddie's wild guitar playing was certainly a big plus too.  Plenty of people have copped his fat tone, and licks.  

Never really dug Randy too much.  But Dee is one sweet song.  
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2009 at 13:38
I went with Eddie. He's from L.A too.

I just like the VH from the 80's better.
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2009 at 14:07
Randy and Eddie were both from LA. The were rivals while young with Quiet Riot and early versions of VH being the hot bands. Early on, Eddie practiced his butt off as much as anyone and was a classic guitar nerd, merging Holdsworth and Clapton into what became the sound of a decade. But fame and alcohol changed him. He actually did try a few new things with the TransTrem and keys in the mid-80's but really most of his playing was established by Van Halen I. At the point there was no question he was way beyond Randy, whose tapping was directly lifted from Eddie at first.

But something different happened to Randy when he got with Ozzy. As Hughes said, he got MUCH better. He practiced more, he learned from more teachers, he got his road chops down, and became the guitar demigod he's remembered as. You can learn more as a guitarist from Randy by far than Eddie, aside from the techniques, which by the end Randy had incorporated. I personally like Randy's sound on Tribute, and would present it as the textbook on how to play heavy metal guitar. Get the album, get the tab book, and learn it.

I love Eddie, but I will always vote Randy.

Edited by Negoba - February 17 2009 at 14:08
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2009 at 02:49
Difficult - comparing someone with a 30 year body of work to one who's tragically early death curtailed what promised to be a brilliant career.

I love the first VH album, still sounds fresh today, but on a purely personal note, I think Rhodes's work on 'Blizzard Of Oz' was instrumental in Ozzy being taken seriously after leaving Sabbath & Rhodes built on that for the 'Diary Of A Madman' album with a huge & unique sound (especially on the title track, Over The Mountain & SATO).

Rhodes was a tragic loss both to metal & music in general, so he gets my vote.

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
easytargets View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2009 at 11:21
I´ve voted for Eddy just because he´s been one of the biggest
influences on one of my favourite guitar players - see great Nuno Bettencourt.
On the other hand I hadn´t get to know most of Randy´s works, but from
what I have heard of him with Ozzy it´s pure bliss and emotion.
The water rushes over all
cities crash in the mighty wave;
the final man is very small,
plunging in for his final bathe
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2009 at 11:27
Makes me wonder what Rhodes would have been doing now - after all it's over 25 years since he died & he was progressing so rapidly as a player/composer at the time of his death, the loss of such potential is a real loss to music.

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2009 at 22:20
well he and Ozzy surely would've stayed together for a nice long run - we know they liked each other and loved working together - beyond that the sky was the limit for Randy; solo work, classical recordings, who knows.  It truly was an immeasurable loss, on a par with SRV and even Hendrix.
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2009 at 22:34
^Randy was actually basically about to leave Ozzy's band just before he died, but he never got to make up his mind since he was killed before he could.
He told Ozzy personally that he just didn't like the fame and the rock and roll lifestyle and wanted to get totally into classical guitar.
Who knows, maybe he would have amassed great classical theory knowledge and made insanely cool compositions?
Regardless of where he would have gone if he would have lived, he certainly proved to have more future potential as a growing musician than EVH did.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2009 at 22:45
Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

^Randy was actually basically about to leave Ozzy's band just before he died, but he never got to make up his mind since he was killed before he could.
He told Ozzy personally that he just didn't like the fame and the rock and roll lifestyle and wanted to get totally into classical guitar.

yeah I can see that, still though that kind of musical chemistry is very rare and you don't just walk away, but if anyone would I guess it'd be Randy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>