Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEivind Aarset (PostRock, Fusion or Eclectic)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eivind Aarset (PostRock, Fusion or Eclectic)
    Posted: February 23 2009 at 05:29
I somehow remember very vividly Eivind Aarset having a page on PA, but now that I check it shows there's nothing like that... Why did I remember even the layput of his page in specific details? Don't know... So anyway, I thought of suggesting him for addition. It's a no-brainer.

Eivind Aarset's music is a sort of experimental rock with post-rock, jazz, sampling and some metal throwin in. This might be a good recommendation for the Eclectic Team. The most similar music to his is, from what I've heard, Tortoise's "T.N.T.", which should direct the suggestion for the Post-Rock team. Also, from what I know he is regarded as Nu Fusion in the jazz circles, therefore I think the JazzRock team might also be interested.

Here's the MySpace link, with some samples and a good bio: http:// www.myspace.com/eivindaarset

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2009 at 12:35
Sounds interesting.  I don't have time to listen now, but will notify the Eclectic team.  Thanks.
burritounit View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2009 at 16:50
Damn I missed it...will check them.Wink
"I've walked on water, run through fire, can't seem to feel it anymore. It was me, waiting for me..."
Zarahuztra View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2009 at 16:30

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Sounds interesting.  I don't have time to listen now, but will notify the Eclectic team.  Thanks.

To say Eivind Aarseth sounds like Tortoise`s TNT is to stretch the comparision a bit far, i would say. That u can find some post-rock influences, i can agree on, but it doesnt resemblences TNT as a whole.

I would rather say his been influenced by another great norwegian guitarist, namely Terje Rypdal. Electric soundscapes, with howling, distorted guitar, is more accurate to say where his music lies. 

Actually been a while since ive listened to his electroniqe noir album, but u can find much in the album name to what his music sounds like. 

And i do agree, he should have a site on progarchives, as he plays fusion jazz.

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2009 at 16:55
^ I'm very curios what is in his music which makes him a jazz (nu-jazz, fusion, etc) musician, because I can't relate his music to anything in those genres. However it's true that I'm no expert in jazz; I've never listened to any Rypdal for example. The similarity to Tortoise is the best I could find, but I think it holds very well. But I don't agree Tortoise is post-rock; they were part of the "Experimental" side of the "Experimental/Post-Rock" subgenre, which has been relegated somewhere in mid-air since the subgenre was renamed as "Post-Rock/Math-Rock". But anyways, thanks for supporting the petition for addition! Smile

I would like to send music samples to the team, who am I to send them? I could also write a PA original biography if the addition is cleared. Thumbs Up

Edited by harmonium.ro - May 22 2009 at 17:09
 Post Reply Post Reply