Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Books and Miscellaneous Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMojo Pink Floyd & The Story Of Prog magazine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mojo Pink Floyd & The Story Of Prog magazine
    Posted: February 24 2009 at 22:24

Get this magazine!

It introduced me to the genre of prog.

I systematically got hold of all the songs mentioned form prog artists that were essential according to the writers of the articles.

Great pictures and reviews - a top 40 prog album list worthy of bottling. I read it cover to cover and was obssessed with the prog genre from then on.

I already loved Pink Floyd and a few others in it but was introd to Yes, VDGG and King Crimson through this mag as well as Mars Volta and early Genesis and Rush and Jethro Tull! I had heard of these bands but found out enough about them to get me totally interested in more of their musuc through this very mag! Heres info on it.
Mojo PINK FLOYD & The Story of Prog Rock

PINK FLOYD & The Story Of Prog Rock
A Q & Mojo Classic Special Edition

Take a trip to another musical dimension, celebrating the astounding tales and amazing sounds of...
  • PINK FLOYD: The Lost Years, The New Interviews, The Unseen Pictures
  • In-depth stories, exclusive new interviews with
    • GENESIS
    • YES
    • VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR
    • SOFT MACHINE
    • KING CRIMSON
    • RUSH
    • THE MARS VOLTA
    • HAWKWIND
    • ELP
    • and more...
  • SEX, DRUGS & WIZARDS: From Wish You Were Here to OK Computer - 40 Cosmic Rock Albums To Blow Your Mind
PLUS: Rarities, artwork, competitions and more

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - February 24 2009 at 22:26
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2009 at 10:30
Hi,

I got this ....

Well ... it had nothing new ... and to be honest with you I'm starting to get offended by articles about "prog this and that" ... and in the end it is just another snipett just like all the snippetts about the popular music these magazines tend to support ... something or other ... out there.

Mentioning Pink Floyd as "prog" is something that all of its members would cringe at the sound of the word ... Roger will probably dismiss it so fast you will think the interview is over. Richard used to say ... I played what felt right .... and it had nothing to do with "music" or "progressive" ... had to do with the feel in his hands and heart. The same for Dave and Nick.

The funniest thing about the issue is the comment about Hipgnosis and Mars Volta ... Hipgnosis covers always had a sub-text on them ... that in many ways was an editorial about the music inside ... and it is funny that the band rejected the very fine cover designed for it ... you gotta hand it to Storm Thorgeson and family when they did this ... I really thought MV was also ... slightly over rated ... and growled more than it needed to ...

The others ... sad ... 5 letters about one and 5 words about the other ...

It is an ego pleasing magazine that uses the name Pink Floyd to get sales ... and that is not cool ... I didn't feel that it added anything more seasoned and intelligent to any discussion about the various scenes in those days that helped expand develop musical tastes ... the advent of radio and the importance of its "cross culturization" in those days ... and that tends to alienate the music into a bunch of indivisuals living out their own life ... and nothing else. Those were very important in the days of East and West Europe when things like Radio Free Europe and Voice of America used to blast out  Beatles and Rolling Stones that were illegal in many other countries and still are in the middle east.

(Edited later)

Sorry ... there are some nice bits and pieces in this, that many of you might not have known or heard about, and in that sense, I now think that a magazine like this, while still a commercial rip off, is probably doing us a favor and helping cement progressive music ... but I wish they would stop glorifying some things in the ear and make it more romantic and pathetic than it really was ... since in the end, it was a "revolution" that failed and died in a plastic sign and button you could put on your shirt ... and the only thing left today of it all ... is a nice tie die shirt ... which you can get off the Grateful Dead left overs, and are not even a part of the "progressive" thing at all, albeit they should in the early days of their massively long jams, since they probably are the ones that helped define rock jams for so many bands that became known as "progressive" ... they made "more" of the jam, than just ... some music! 

I do think that the magazine tends to shine people on towards the drugs and the psychedelia side of things, which was not the only thing that the whole thing was about ... I for one, and I am not the only one, did not think that drugs were necessary at all ... but there were too many people around you saying that you weren't cool because you weren't stoned and that made it hard in school and work for everyone concerned.

Edited by moshkito - October 05 2010 at 19:54
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
theblastocyst View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2009 at 16:22
I've actually owned this magazine for a couple of years now and I always refer to it when showing some of my friends certain bands/albums they haven't heard before. I really enjoy the Soft Machine article but I feel like some of the other articles were a bit brief. But besides that it was definitely $12 well spent.
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2009 at 23:13
Don't call it trash, for the people who used it as a gateway to prog (myself included) it was the ultimate map to start the progressive journey. Bought it 4 years ago and still read it. Love that issue. it's the reason I'm here
threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2009 at 10:16
As I recall, I got a credit in that mag for helping with the ELP article! 
THIS IS ELP
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2009 at 03:51
I thought the Marillion Article was the coolest,

As I've recently (Over the past 6 months) gained a huge prog obsession, my dad thought it was time to show me this

I wasn't dissapointed, it was very cool.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2009 at 13:28
It was a very good magazine. Didn't tell me much I didn't know about my favourite bands, but I enjoyed reading about Soft Machine, ELP and TMV.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2009 at 22:33
It still is used as a great guide to what is out there or at least as a beginning to getting deeper into prog especially the top 40 album list.

It introduced many bands to me that I now adore such as Van der Graaf generator and Rush. 
Red Porschetta View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2009 at 13:18
That mag helped me get deeper into the genre a few years ago and I am glad I did!
There's no bread, or lemony cake
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2010 at 09:29
Honestly this mag is the beginning of my prog obssession.
I owe it that much
i actually got hold of most stuff in this mag - including all the top 40 prog choices which were not too far from what is on this site and in the new Classic Rock presents prog
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2010 at 21:30
Originally posted by King By-Tor King By-Tor wrote:

Don't call it trash, for the people who used it as a gateway to prog (myself included) it was the ultimate map to start the progressive journey. Bought it 4 years ago and still read it. Love that issue. it's the reason I'm here

I fixed it ... yeah ... it was a bit abrupt and not very nice ... I wish I had noticed your reply sooner.

So sorry ...  I'm not a great fan of the same process that ruptured and killed the era and what most of the music was about and helped define progressive music forever. And there were then, and NOW, a lot of people that do not speak kindly of those days because they did not get to sleep with as many flower children as they wanted ... etc ... etc ... and while I did not have those silly teenage dreams at the time, I still look at it all and the music surrounding it as massively important and a moment in time that was mis-understood and killed by the media with a very harsh and abusive manner ... that pretty much said that all people were idiots, drug heads and morons and the music was worse!

It wasn't!

And time, is showing you, and many others, that there are many things that were worth while and totally far out and neat ... and Pink Floyd was a part of that right from about its start ... some think that DSOTM is more important, but we all dismiss "Tonite We All Love In London" ... and if you have not seen or heard that in its entirety, there is no better screen shot ever taken of a day in the life of a year in the 20th century, other than the images and terror of World War 2. And Woodstock is the father of the images!

But it's hard for a board like this to be able to have and appreciate a more literary, or quotidian concept and story about the time ... and Syd was a part of that literature ... but we don't know how ... and are not looking at it to realize where it all was and came from ... it was the time ... the place ... the art ... the literature ... the music ... it was one of the more cohesive "total" art scenes that has ever lived ... and the daughters and sons of it were, the progressive giants that we love ... we just don't know how to say thank you to the parents and say ... I love you ... !
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
bucka001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2010 at 11:59
Got this when it came out. If you're into any individual band, you probably didn't learn much that was new. On the other hand, if you had a passing curiousity about any of the bands, this was a great intro. It's good to see comments from readers who got turned on to some new music by this special issue (such as the person above who now loves Rush and VdGG as a result of this edition). That's what it's all about!
jc
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2010 at 07:39
^^^ exactly and I learnt about the best music from Hawkwind and Yes and King Crimson from this mag and Jethro Tull too. Its quite a mazing that this mag had such an impact on me and got me deep into the prog genre but its a fact............ I always loved Pink Floyd, and some of hte other newer bands but had never heard of VDGG. the article sparked a huge interest in the band and soon after i was listening to Pawn Hearts....
jean-marie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2011 at 17:29
got it and like it very much caThumbs Upuse they didn't forget to mention aphrodite's child  666
resurrection View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2011 at 01:45
let's face it, magazines like these never tell the truth; they tell us what they think we would like to hear, but because they're not listening to us, they still get it wrong.
ferush View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2011 at 11:20
The called prog rock is the most beautiful genre of popular music, you're in the right way. Try to listen the Iron Maiden's 3 latest albums because they are great.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2011 at 04:04
^^^ I want to get the latest Iron Maiden soon. Is it as good as Brave New World?
Jake Kobrin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2011 at 13:23
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

• SEX, DRUGS & WIZARDS: From Wish You Were Here to OK Computer - 40 Cosmic Rock Albums To Blow Your Mind

I really want to hear the albums they list yet I can't find this magazine, can someone post them please? 
ferush View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2011 at 16:58
The band have had a reinvention itself again and the latest three albums are diferent that Brave, they are full of prog sound and fresh, made for avoid boring.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2011 at 18:09
Originally posted by Jake Kobrin Jake Kobrin wrote:

Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

I really want to hear the albums they list yet I can't find this magazine, can someone post them please? 
Thats not a bad idea so I will post them here in a few moments!
I am sure people will find them interesting and I actually did go through them as a starting point to find out what prog is out there. As I was ploughing through them I stumbled across a cute innocent website known as progarchivesConfused
Then it soon devoured hours of my time, and consumed me LOL and I am so grateful!Big smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>