Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSpock's Beard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spock's Beard
    Posted: February 26 2009 at 13:52
I looked back a few pages and did not see this mentioned. So I apologize if this has been mentioned before.

Anyways, what is everyone's opinion on Spock's Beard? They are easily one of my favorite bands and I love all their albums. My favorite would be Snow, with V and Kindness of Strangers not far behind.
In heaven, everything is fine
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 14:01
They're not completely loved in these parts, many people say they're rather unoriginal.

Personally I love them, despite my feelings towards blatant Christianity. To me their best are V, Beware Of Darkness and The Light, the title track of their first album being my favorite track by them. They've waned in the last couple of years, but i think their self titled was a damn fine release and "With Your Kiss" is a highlight of their entire career.

I've had the chance to chat with Alan and Dave as well, very good guys and heavily opinionated. From my interviews with them it's going to be interesting where they head with their next release.
Eraserhead View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 14:04
Good album choices! I agree the post Neal stuff has been rather hit or miss, but the self-titled album has them back on track. If I remember correctly, Dave said he'd be upset if a new album wasn't out this year.
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 14:08
yeah - last I heard they were heading into the studio early 2009.

I want to see what happens. Dave wants to take the band in a new direction, a more dark direction, and Alan wants the band to "return to their roots" - a combination of styles like that would be amazing! Imagine "With Your Kiss" played with the epic intensity of the material from V!
TheCaptain View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 14:09
They were one of my first prog bands aside from the classics such as Yes, ELP, King Crimson and Genesis. I liked them a lot for a while then stopped liking them and I have recently rebounded into what I think my equilibrium will be. V is an excellent album followed closely by The Light, then Beware of Darkness and Kindess of Strangers are still great. Snow, which I once loved, is now merely OK. Their other releases all only have a couple songs that I actually like while the rest is simply OK or worse.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 14:11
Originally posted by King By-Tor King By-Tor wrote:

Imagine "With Your Kiss" played with the epic intensity of the material from V!

Ohhh man! That would be BEYOND amazing!
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 14:14
I like Spock's Beard quite a bit.  I have to credit them, Dream Theater, and the Flower Kings with expanding my interest in progressive rock music.  I had been listening to Rush, Yes, and ELP for a long time, but it was these newer bands that really brought me into the prog rock fold.
Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 15:32
I have really enjoyed exploring their catalogue of albums but have yet to investigate the post-Morse era.  Gotta give 'em props for sticking to their guns, though.  When it comes to American symphonic prog bands the list is very short (let's see, there's Kansas, then.....) and I'm sure the record labels tried their best to turn them into something a lot more "commercial" so at least they've got the big ones to stand up to them.
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
djflex View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2009 at 21:42
This is a band i have been meaning to check out for some time ( so much music ,so little time). any recommendation for a starter album....
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2009 at 21:43
V would be the album to start withSmile
djflex View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2009 at 22:13
Originally posted by Eraserhead Eraserhead wrote:

thanks, will give a listen to....
bassman4 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2009 at 22:29
Originally posted by djflex djflex wrote:

This is a band i have been meaning to check out for some time ( so much music ,so little time). any recommendation for a starter album....

I would listen to There and Here,it's live with a good sample of their sound . 
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2009 at 22:40
Originally posted by Eraserhead Eraserhead wrote:

Seconded.

V is a great album.  Personally, I love the Beard.  Like rushfan4 I was drawn to modern prog by the same three bands.  Honestly, The Beard is great but I've kind of grown bored with them as of late.  I think I listened to too much of the Beard now I'm on overload.  I'm certain that they'll jump back into my listening rotation soon.

I did see them last year at 3RP and they sounded fantastic. 

Looking forward to the new album, the three post Morse albums were kind of hit and miss for me.  I like the thought of epic darkness.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2009 at 22:56
What is everyone's opinion you say?  Mine is pretty negative on them and a few other highly popular bands regularly praised at the prog sites--but I won't harsh your thread beyond answering your question.    

LiquidEternity View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2009 at 01:02
I used to think they were terribly unoriginal (though I really liked them anyways), but having listened to a lot more different prog bands by this point, I can say that they actually sound utterly unique and original to my ears. Sure, they draw from Gentle Giant and so forth, but I've never heard a band that came before them that they really pull much from. Post-Neal is hit or miss, I agree, with the self-titled being the highlight. Post-Beard Neal is also kind of hit or miss. I liked their collaborations together a lot. Their sense of quirk and humor gives them a big advantage over a lot of pretentious and stuffy prog bands from the 70s till now. Those are my thoughts. A good band, though not as flashily prog as some would prefer, but quite entertaining and clever nonetheless.
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2009 at 09:16

They're not completely loved in these parts, many people say they're rather unoriginal.

Personally I love them, despite my feelings towards blatant Christianity. To me their best are V, Beware Of Darkness and The Light, the title track of their first album being my favorite track by them. They've waned in the last couple of years, but i think their self titled was a damn fine release and "With Your Kiss" is a highlight of their entire career.

I've had the chance to chat with Alan and Dave as well, very good guys and heavily opinionated. From my interviews with them it's going to be interesting where they head with their next release.

Blatant Christianity? I fail to see the connection to Spock's Beard ... 
Nov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2009 at 09:36
Spock's Beard were the first "3rd Wave" prog band I ever heard (back in about 1997) and when I first heard "Walking On The Wind" on the radio it completely blew me away. It was certainly the best prog song I'd heard since 1977.

So, a love affair commenced with the mighty Beard from that point and I remember being as excited about seeing them in London in 1999 (I think) as I was about seeing Genesis for the first time in 1980. And, boy were they an amazing band live with Neal Morse at the front or what. Totally exhilerating.

When Neal left after the Snow album came out, it was literally the saddest I've been about any departure from any band (I was too young for Gabriel leaving Genesis Wink).

The Flower Kings had kinda been sneaking up on me by then and after Neal left Spock's Beard, TFK took over as my current favourite band. I do still have a lot of affection for SB although I don't really get on with the post-Neal albums too well.

I'd be as excited about a Spock's Beard reunion tour with Neal as I would a 5-man Genesis reunion to be honest Smile

Cheers

Nov
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2009 at 15:54

many people say they're rather unoriginal.

True, very true. But I say: who actually cares? They do their thing and they do it well, good band Thumbs Up
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2009 at 18:19
Originally posted by Nov Nov wrote:

Spock's Beard were the first "3rd Wave" prog band I ever heard (back in about 1997) and when I first heard "Walking On The Wind" on the radio it completely blew me away. It was certainly the best prog song I'd heard since 1977.

So, a love affair commenced with the mighty Beard from that point and I remember being as excited about seeing them in London in 1999 (I think) as I was about seeing Genesis for the first time in 1980. And, boy were they an amazing band live with Neal Morse at the front or what. Totally exhilerating.

When Neal left after the Snow album came out, it was literally the saddest I've been about any departure from any band (I was too young for Gabriel leaving Genesis Wink).

The Flower Kings had kinda been sneaking up on me by then and after Neal left Spock's Beard, TFK took over as my current favourite band. I do still have a lot of affection for SB although I don't really get on with the post-Neal albums too well.

I'd be as excited about a Spock's Beard reunion tour with Neal as I would a 5-man Genesis reunion to be honest Smile

Cheers

Nov

Nov,

I have the good fortune to live in Pittsburgh, home to a fantastic little prog festival called 3rp, (gearing up for it's second year if I understand correctly).

Last year, we had both 'Spock's Beard' and Neal Morse in the line up. 

Sure enough, Spock's Beard played 'The Light' with Neal Morse as their encore. 

I still get goosebumps thinking about it.

You'll note my avatar, I AM the catfish man.

Roland
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2009 at 18:45
Originally posted by Mr ProgFreak Mr ProgFreak wrote:

Blatant Christianity? I fail to see the connection to Spock's Beard ... 

Yeah, Neal Morse left as a result of his conversion.

Plus, I don't see how a certain section of "The Water" reflects blatant Christianity.  Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>