Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSpock's Beard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2009 at 18:47
I think V is phenomenal, by the way, and I happen to like Octane a lot despite the reviews here.
Nov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2009 at 19:44
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Originally posted by Nov Nov wrote:

Spock's Beard were the first "3rd Wave" prog band I ever heard (back in about 1997) and when I first heard "Walking On The Wind" on the radio it completely blew me away. It was certainly the best prog song I'd heard since 1977.

So, a love affair commenced with the mighty Beard from that point and I remember being as excited about seeing them in London in 1999 (I think) as I was about seeing Genesis for the first time in 1980. And, boy were they an amazing band live with Neal Morse at the front or what. Totally exhilerating.

When Neal left after the Snow album came out, it was literally the saddest I've been about any departure from any band (I was too young for Gabriel leaving Genesis Wink).

The Flower Kings had kinda been sneaking up on me by then and after Neal left Spock's Beard, TFK took over as my current favourite band. I do still have a lot of affection for SB although I don't really get on with the post-Neal albums too well.

I'd be as excited about a Spock's Beard reunion tour with Neal as I would a 5-man Genesis reunion to be honest Smile

Cheers

Nov

Nov,

I have the good fortune to live in Pittsburgh, home to a fantastic little prog festival called 3rp, (gearing up for it's second year if I understand correctly).

Last year, we had both 'Spock's Beard' and Neal Morse in the line up. 

Sure enough, Spock's Beard played 'The Light' with Neal Morse as their encore. 

I still get goosebumps thinking about it.

You'll note my avatar, I AM the catfish man.

Roland

Hi Roland

I know all about the 3rp festival from the various forums (Spock's Beard, TFK, etc) and it sounded like an amazing event.

If money was no object It'd have been over there like a shot Wink

I was lucky enough to be on an IT course in LA at the same time as Calprog so I got to see Presto Ballet, IZZ, Sylvan and Echolyn at the event which was brilliant Smile

Cheers

Nov

djflex View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2009 at 21:51
Originally posted by Eraserhead Eraserhead wrote:

V would be the album to start withSmile

good tip and thanks , picked up the other day and liked after first listen....

will try snow next time out
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2010 at 20:40
Ok, so the new album is out and I thought it was time to bump this thread.  What are your thoughts on the new album.

Me, I've been in a great mood all week, I've been listening to it non-stop.  Currently, I put X up there in my top two Beard CD's (for me only Snow is better).  Now I realize it's the newest and the shiniest, but I'm really loving it.  It kind of feels like finding a long lost friend.

I believe earlier on page 1, someone said the plan was for this CD to be a combination of darker music and a return to their roots.  I'd say they delivered.  It's been a while since I've had a few goosebump moments from one CD, but this one gave me quite a few. 

Even the song with all of the names in it was really good, not a throw away song at all.

Regardless, this is easily the best NdV era CD by them and the first that doesn't leave me pining for a return of Mr. Morse. 

What do you all think?
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2010 at 22:10
I REALLY like the new CD X.  It seems SB has finally lost the "trying to not sound like Neal was ever in the band" concept and just wrote SB sounding music.  BTW got front row seats for the Downey Ca show in Sept. 

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Harry Hood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2010 at 23:43
"Dont Try This At Home" is one of my favorite prog DVD's that I own. Very few prog bands perform with passion, intensity, and energy that Spock's Beard did in their best years.
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2010 at 23:55
X, good album.
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 09:25
they are a fine american band but the cream of the crop for me are Echolyn
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 13:49
Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

I REALLY like the new CD X.  It seems SB has finally lost the "trying to not sound like Neal was ever in the band" concept and just wrote SB sounding music.  BTW got front row seats for the Downey Ca show in Sept. 

Garion, I agree and disagree (if I understand what you're trying to day), I don't think they're consciously avoiding any Neal Morse sounding material, though they're not purposely going that way either.  I think they've finally found their own sound so to speak.  I really don't hear a lot of similarities to a Neal Morse era Beard CD, I just think they've arrived at their own sound and it's a wonderful sound at that.

I am so jealous, I really hope they something closer to Pittsburgh later on this year or next year.  I'd love to see the show for this album.  (Come back to Pittsburgh guys...we love you here).

Enjoy the show.

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 13:50
Originally posted by Harry Hood Harry Hood wrote:

"Dont Try This At Home" is one of my favorite prog DVD's that I own. Very few prog bands perform with passion, intensity, and energy that Spock's Beard did in their best years.

If I'm thinking of the right DVD, the version of "The Doorway" on that DVD was out of this world.  I may have to get that from Netflix again.

natewait View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 15:48
I have to say that I absolutely love "X", definitely the best post-Neal Spock's Beard album, and I'd have to say that it surpasses a few Neal-era Spock's Beard albums (which is really hard for me to say). It might rank fourth after Snow, V and Kindness of Strangers.

It is definitely one of their most consistent releases, I love every song and don't ever feel like skipping tracks. And Jaws of Heaven is absolutely one of the best Spock's Beard songs of all-time. I am blown away by it. I also love the names song, but perhaps that is because I get to hear Nick D'Virgilio sing my name Big smile I am so happy that my favorite band has finally come into their own sound without Neal.

I get to see the band for the first time live in Downey and I couldn't be more excited. I'm going with my dad, we have seats in the fourth row. It is going to be awesome. I just need to get my dad into X before we go to the concert.

Edited by natewait - July 24 2010 at 15:49
Please check out my Progressive Music Blog: The Leviathan.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2010 at 09:37
Nate,

See, i put it ahead of V even.  V has a great set of bookends but I don't really like the songs in between.  "Thoughts II" has some nice moments, but that's about it.  With the middle being so unimpressive, I don't quite give it the love that most Beardies do. 

Now I'm curious, I need to list their albums in my order of preference...ahh, the problem with being obsessive - compulsive:

1)  Snow
2)  X
3)  The Kindness of Strangers
4)  V
5)  Beware of Darkness
6)  Feel Euphoria
7)  Day for Night
8)  The Light  (Love the title track, can't really listen to "The Water" in front of my three year old")
9)  Octane
10)  Spock's Beard

Here's a thought, I'd love to hear Neal release a new version of "The Water" sometime.  I'd think that he's a little embarrassed by the song at this point, but it really is a great one.

NecronCommander View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Metal Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2010 at 10:00
I haven't ventured very far into their discography (I only have their S/T, Feel Euphoria, and Snow) but they're one of the few symphonic prog rock bands I enjoy.  I especially like this track:

That video is trippy as hell, BTW Wacko
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2010 at 10:18
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I think V is phenomenal, by the way, and I happen to like Octane a lot despite the reviews here.

I'm with you. I've enjoyed all of the post-Neal material, but do prefer the older material.

The new one could be their finest without Neal.

E
natewait View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2010 at 15:00
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Nate,

See, i put it ahead of V even.  V has a great set of bookends but I don't really like the songs in between.  "Thoughts II" has some nice moments, but that's about it.  With the middle being so unimpressive, I don't quite give it the love that most Beardies do. 

Now I'm curious, I need to list their albums in my order of preference...ahh, the problem with being obsessive - compulsive:

1)  Snow
2)  X
3)  The Kindness of Strangers
4)  V
5)  Beware of Darkness
6)  Feel Euphoria
7)  Day for Night
8)  The Light  (Love the title track, can't really listen to "The Water" in front of my three year old")
9)  Octane
10)  Spock's Beard

Here's a thought, I'd love to hear Neal release a new version of "The Water" sometime.  I'd think that he's a little embarrassed by the song at this point, but it really is a great one.

Yeah, I understand what you mean about V, but the only song I don't really love is "Goodbye To Yesterday". I absolutely love "Thoughts Part II", and I think "All On A Sunday" is a fun little song. I used to not like "Revelation", but it has grown on me. But, I mainly consider it one of my favorites because "At The End of the Day" and "The Great Nothing" are my two favorite Spock's Beard songs.

So, here is my ranking:
1. Snow
2. V
3. The Kindness of Strangers
4. X
5. Beware of Darkness
6. Day For Night
7. The Light
8. Octane
9. Spock's Beard
10. Feel Euphoria

It would be nice if Neal did a new version of The Water. I made an edited version for my friend once where I cut out the offensive part. It is a great song.

Please check out my Progressive Music Blog: The Leviathan.
Biff Tannen View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2010 at 10:33
I actually like "Goodbye to Yesterday" the most out of the 2-5 tracks on V.  I like "Thoughts II," but I don't think it is as awesome as most SB fans seem to think.  "All on a Sunday" is nice, and "Revelation" is a mixed bag, in that the verses are killer, but the chorus is rather pedestrian.  The bookend epics are both tremendous, obviously. 

Anyway, the new album, X, is definitely fantastic.  I still can't believe how great it is; it is probably their best post-Neal CD (slightly better than the really good Feel Euphoria).  "Jaws of Heaven" and "From the Darkness" are both outstanding, and probably two of the best SB songs...of any era!  Most of the rest of the CD is damn good, too, with "Kamikaze" being the only song I am somewhat iffy on so far.  Regardless, they really hit it out of the park with this one. :)
"What are you looking at, butthead?"
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2010 at 12:21
Originally posted by Biff Tannen Biff Tannen wrote:

I actually like "Goodbye to Yesterday" the most out of the 2-5 tracks on V.  I like "Thoughts II," but I don't think it is as awesome as most SB fans seem to think.  "All on a Sunday" is nice, and "Revelation" is a mixed bag, in that the verses are killer, but the chorus is rather pedestrian.  The bookend epics are both tremendous, obviously. 

Anyway, the new album, X, is definitely fantastic.  I still can't believe how great it is; it is probably their best post-Neal CD (slightly better than the really good Feel Euphoria).  "Jaws of Heaven" and "From the Darkness" are both outstanding, and probably two of the best SB songs...of any era!  Most of the rest of the CD is damn good, too, with "Kamikaze" being the only song I am somewhat iffy on so far.  Regardless, they really hit it out of the park with this one. :)

Good assessment, I was at a "party" over the weekend (me and three other guys sitting around and sharing music).  As it turns out, I got to play the last song and I went with "From the Darkness".  I think I converted a few new fans. 

"Kamikaze" doesn't do a lot for me either but it has some nice moments.  I have a love / hate relationship with "The Emperor's Clothes".  In general I don't really care for the main themes of the song (Verse and Chorus) but the jazzy middle part is fantastic and, in my mind at least, fairly unexpected from them.  I'm not saying that there isn't, but I can't think of any other real jazzy moments in their music.  That is something that I'd expect from The Flower Kings.  As such, I found it rather refreshing.

I forget if I mentioned this before, but this is the first CD that they've released that doesn't make me pine for the days that Neal was still in the band.

raindance View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 05:51
Originally posted by Eraserhead Eraserhead wrote:

I looked back a few pages and did not see this mentioned. So I apologize if this has been mentioned before.

Anyways, what is everyone's opinion on Spock's Beard? They are easily one of my favorite bands and I love all their albums. My favorite would be Snow, with V and Kindness of Strangers not far behind.

Great band! yeah, 'Snow' is their best album!Clap
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 06:12
I have
Octane
Live
The Light
Snow

are you telling me V is better than these? Will have to check this out!

Repner View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 07:19
I've yet to hear Snow myself.  I started on The Light, then bought V and Beware Of Darkness
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>