Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMão Morta

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mão Morta
    Posted: March 07 2009 at 11:02
Mão Morta are a Avant- Garde Portuguese band that have released their first album in 88 and have until today already released 12 albums, 2 of these albums are theatre plays, for which they create music and then on stage they represent it. The voice is quite unique, like a roaring spoken-word, listen: http://www.myspace.com/maomorta

I think they should be added to RIO/Avant-Prog category.

Thank You
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2009 at 11:09
Ok, I'll inform the team!
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2009 at 11:18
I'll check them out soon. Smile
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
JTP88 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2009 at 11:24
thank you Smile you're kind people, I saw them last night and they were amazing, the vocalist during the pauses would recite some weird poetry and they are really great musicians though don't show it off much
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2009 at 11:45

I really liked the samples on mySpace, they appeared quite experimental/alternative to me. Im eager to hear the rest of the Avant team's opinions as well on this one.

The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2009 at 15:04
I've listened to a few of the samples on the myspace now and my first impressions are that they're good fun but I'm really not sure I'd go putting them in RIO/Avant. Musically their stuff's in pretty standard rock territory and it's only really the narrative style of the vocalist that gives the music much of an unusual edge.

I'm not knocking the music remotely - and from your descriptions it sounds like they're great live, JTP - but personally I'd want to hear better evidence of some more avant-garde tendencies to seriously consider them for RIO/avant.

Having said that, I'm not officially a member of the ZART team these days so my opinion doesn't necessarily count for all that much!
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2009 at 15:20
Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

I've listened to a few of the samples on the myspace now and my first impressions are that they're good fun but I'm really not sure I'd go putting them in RIO/Avant. Musically their stuff's in pretty standard rock territory and it's only really the narrative style of the vocalist that gives the music much of an unusual edge.

I'm not knocking the music remotely - and from your descriptions it sounds like they're great live, JTP - but personally I'd want to hear better evidence of some more avant-garde tendencies to seriously consider them for RIO/avant.

Having said that, I'm not officially a member of the ZART team these days so my opinion doesn't necessarily count for all that much!

I tend to agree with David on this.

On a side note, I really like the music on their Myspace.
JTP88 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2009 at 15:25

yeah, i have to agree that they are in fact instrumentally pretty standard, i just said they should be in the avant-garde field because it's what i usually hear people saying they are, and for their vocalist strange singing. I just think they deserve a place in here so I suggested that category, they also have some 25 minute compositions but I don't think there's any other legal way of showing that to you.
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2009 at 15:34
Mão Morta are among the finnest portuguese bands ever, and definitly one of the most ideosyncratic, but  would never see them as Progressive Rock (nor would they, I guess) - but then again Linda freekin' Martini are here, so I guess anything goes. Dead

I am not, however, familiar with their whole repertoire, but from what I've heard they sound very similar to the already rejected french band Noir Désir (even though Adolfo Luxúria Canibal and Bertrand Cantat both have their own characteristic sound). Standart dark rock with a very unusual vocal aproach and a very grim and decadent feel.

They shold definitly appeal to a lot of people on PA, but a more thorough analysis would be requiered before adition.  

Edited by Kotro - March 07 2009 at 15:36
Bigger on the inside.
JTP88 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2009 at 15:39
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

Mão Morta are among the finnest portuguese bands ever, and definitly one of the most ideosyncratic, but  would never see them as Progressive Rock (nor would they, I guess) - but then again Linda freekin' Martini are here, so I guess anything goes. Dead

I am not, however, familiar with their whole repertoire, but from what I've heard they sound very similar to the already rejected french band Noir Désir (even though Adolfo Luxúria Canibal and Bertrand Cantat both have their own characteristic sound).

They shold definitly appeal to a lot of people on PA, but a more ahorough analysis would be requiered before adition.  

I like Linda Martini a lot, but that's not the case, if bands like Muse or Radiohead and all the other prog-related bands, why shouldn't Mão Morta? I think it is a very different project, and I think it stretches the boundaries of normal music and I think people would be very intressted in this, like the people in this thread which have heard them, they liked it.

(eu falaria em portugues, mas é para toda a gente perceber Wink)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2009 at 16:11
Originally posted by JTP88 JTP88 wrote:

if bands like Muse or Radiohead and all the other prog-related bands, why shouldn't Mão Morta?

I don't want to derail this thread too much but I have to say that I'm not too keen on arguing for a band's admission in this way. Just because some bands which aren't considered to be progressive are already listed doesn't mean the way has been cleared for every other borderline case.

Anyway, I'd say there's definitely a case to be made for this band to be included somewhere in the archives, but I don't think they're a good fit for avant-prog.
JTP88 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2009 at 16:12

if bands like Muse or Radiohead and all the other prog-related bands, why shouldn't Mão Morta?

I don't want to derail this thread too much but I have to say that I'm not too keen on arguing for a band's admission in this way. Just because some bands which aren't considered to be progressive are already listed doesn't mean the way has been cleared for every other borderline case.

Anyway, I'd say there's definitely a case to be made for this band to be included somewhere in the archives, but I don't think they're a good fit for avant-prog.

you're right, i'm sorry.

yes, i think so too, I only suggested that category because i hear people tagging them so, but I definitely think they have a place in the site
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2009 at 16:19

you're right, i'm sorry.

yes, i think so too, I only suggested that category because i hear people tagging them so, but I definitely think they have a place in the site

No worries! So, what prog category (if any) do YOU think they'd be best suited to?
JTP88 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2009 at 16:24

you're right, i'm sorry.

No worries! So, what prog category (if any) do YOU think they'd be best suited to?

that's a tough one, I don't know the meanings of most of the categories, i know there's a definition written, but I'm not sure where to put them, they are definitely experimental but not much of post-metal 
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2009 at 19:51

I'd say your vote counts, from one RIO nerd to another. LOL

I agree on what you said as well. I'd like to listen to a full album by them before make a full evalutaion of them.

JTP88 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2009 at 15:56
so, if you all think it should'nt be in RIO, where do you think it would fit, I don't really really know!
 Post Reply Post Reply