Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVideos quality control

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Videos quality control
    Posted: March 08 2009 at 07:54
Hi, let me just reiterate Seyo's words from the Video Reporting Thread

Originally posted by Seyo Seyo wrote:

Please look here: http://www.progarchives.com/artistVideos.asp?id=2127

Do we really need 38 video clips of Pentangle? And many are of poor audio quality.... 
This person "incognito" alone added more than 30 clips. I don't see any need for this.
I think there need to be some filtering, or rules to follow when adding video clips, otherwise anyone can add whatever they like no matter how poor or even incorrect the video is.

and

Originally posted by Seyo Seyo wrote:

There lots of garbage videos on Youtube and I think we should not allow all members to freely add videos without prior considerations about the quality of audio/video and proper representation of particular songs.

And above all, is anyone checking this topic regularly?

I agree with Seyo and I thought his posts should have been put into attention by a separate thread as the Video Reporting Thread is rarely visited.
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2009 at 19:16
BUMP!!
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Seyo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2009 at 05:11
Thanks Tuz for your support!
It seems no one is yet considering the video problems...

At least there would be good to enable the removal of "inappropriate" video clips.
This should be allowed to Admins of course, but also maybe to all Special Collaborators (or only to Genre Teams) and perhaps even to the member who actually added a video, so in case he made mistake to be able to remove it immediately.

Just a few thoughts...
Seyo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2009 at 04:18
Hello, I just thought what would be the best way to streamline the addition of quality videos in the PA. Here is my suggestion of what the guidelines should look like:

Dear Member,
When considering to add a video clip to the artist/band page, please take care of the following criteria:

- video clip should be of the highest audio and video quality possible
Avoid adding clips that are made from handy cameras, mobile phones or such non-professional equipment. The result is usually poor and does not help us enjoying music. 

- make sure you add a proper band/artists to the corresponding page and try to recognize whether the intended clip is of the band, of a former band member acting as solo artists or some other person who is not connected to the band at all. 

- avoid "home made" videos by unknown people who like to show off their instrumental skills while playing popular tunes of prog bands. 

- double-check whether the same clip already exists in the PA artists page so to avoid duplicating of clips. Main band page displays only 3 videos, so expand the viewing (click on "see all videos") to see ALL added videos of the band/artist and check what is there and what is missing.

- try to add a video of a song that most closely resembles the sound of the band/artists
Many bands changed their style frequently over time, so pay attention to add a video of the song representing their peak creative period, usually from their "old" or classic days.

- try to add a video showing the actual band/artists performing live on stage or in studio. 
Top quality and official video clips for TV promotion should be also welcome.

- avoid adding video clips containing only audio, with some home-made "visualization" or slides
If there are no better videos available, however, it may be justified to add such "visualized video" provided the sound is of fairly good quality so it can represent the band/artist music (especially if that particular song is well known or representative of their music).

- before adding a video, do a preview first to check its quality/correctness and try to write a short comment in the box provided, explaining in brief the importance of the song.

So, please consider this as a draft only. I hope to see some reply to this with possible changes if appropriate.

Thanks.

Edited by Seyo - November 01 2009 at 04:22
Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2009 at 12:21
^ I have not watched these videos much here, nor do I know how they are wanted to be managed in the site, but I think your draft seems very logical, clear and good. It is very interesting to see the original musicians of 60's / 70's performing the songs, but it's not very interesting to watch a slideshow made over the music. These animations can be really neat too, but probably some other place could be more appropriate for them?
Seyo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2009 at 08:53
Eetu,
Thanks for your reply! Smile
I hope other members of Admin/SC teams would contribute to this proposal...
Cheers
 Post Reply Post Reply