Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedForthcoming ELP DVD!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forthcoming ELP DVD!
    Posted: April 29 2005 at 07:39

I'm looking forward to this DVD more than any other! Looking at the contents it's mouthwatering. In particular i'm looking forward to the California Jam '74 concert with Emerson & the swinging piano. The visuality of Carl doing his drum solo will put the Palmer vrs Peart debate to bed once and for all. The 'Brain Salad Surgery Tour' in all it's glory!!!!!! I'm just a bit dubious though what the DVD production will be like as I heard that the master tapes from that gig were destroyed?

Plus one other little moan! Why just put a couple of songs from the Works '77 orchestral tour on it. I would love to see/hear that concert in full 5.1/DTS production

Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2005 at 07:53
Aha!

I didn't know this was (finally) coming out on DVD - I've wanted to see the California Jam gig for years...

Sorry, wallet!

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2005 at 08:28

I put a whole article about it in the "Announcement" section.. some time ago Jim.  It comes out middle of June supposedly..

Ok.. production.  Supposedly ABC lost their tape that was shown on tv... but Will Alexander (Keith's keyboard tech) had a friend at ABC which finally found him the master tape.  So they've been waiting for this dvd to show it.  Also this dvd is being done by the same people who did Led Zeppelin's.. so I wouldn't worry about the quality of production.  The reason why they probably didn't include much of the Works orchestral tour.... is because they wanted to include a lot of earlier stuff, and there is already a full dvd of the Works show in Montreal. They probably only used the parts of that they could get cleaned up, because most of the production on that was horrible.

THIS IS ELP
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2005 at 08:30
So, will this release have an entire (or as good as) concert from the BSS tour??
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2005 at 08:35

It has 44 minutes from California Jam... which was a BSS concert.  Check out the track listing here:

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4568&a mp;PN=2

THIS IS ELP
Progger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2005 at 08:48

Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Aha!

I didn't know this was (finally) coming out on DVD - I've wanted to see the California Jam gig for years...

Sorry, wallet!

Get your eyes & ears round this!

'Beyond The Beginning-The Definitive ELP DVD Collection'-Released On Sanctuary Visual Entertainments.

Disc 1

Before The Beginning-Promo Videos

1. America [The Nice]-1969 Beat Club 2. Fire [Crazy World Of Arthur Brown]-1969 Beat Club 3. 21st Century Schizoid Man [King Crimson 1969]

ELP IN Pictures

1. Take a Pebble [1970 Beat Club] 2.Knife Edge [1970 Belgium] 3. Rondo/Pictures [IOW festival 1970] 4. Rondo [1970 Belgium] 5. Lucky Man [1970 Belgium] 6. Tarkus/Eruption [Japanese Prom 7. Hoedown [1973 Manticore] 8.Tank [1973 Manticore] 9. Still You Turn Me on [1974 Cal Jam] 10.Karn Evil 9[1974 Cal Jam] 11. I Believe In Father Christmas [Promo Video] 12. Honky Tonk Train Blues [1976 Oscar Peterson Show]. 13. Toccata [1976 Aquarius] 14.Fanfare For The Common Man [Promo] 15. Pirates [1977 Montreal] 16. Tiger In A Spotlight [1977 pop rock] 17. Watching Over You [1978 Memphis] 18. Tarkus [1992 Royal Albert Hall] 19. Touch & Go [1997 Budapest].

Disc 2

California Jam 1974

Full 44-minute performance from the monster one-day festival with ELP's never released headlining performance:

1.Toccata 2. Still You Turn Me On 3. Lucky Man 4. Piano Improvisations 5.Take A Pebble 6. Karn Evil 9 1st Impression Part 2. 7. Karn Evil 9 3rd Impression 8.Spinning Piano 9. Great Gates Of Kiev.

'Beyond The Beginning' Documentary Extras

Including unseen rehearsel footage from 1973 and loads of other stuff!

I CAN'T WAIT

Edited by Progger
Jeremy Bender View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2005 at 15:13

I can't wait either......I hope this DVD is as good as the Zep DVD which is my favourite music DVD at the moment.......John Bonham is absolutely the best rockdrummer we ever had.

I like very much the Knebworth performance! Kashmir.......WOW

marktheshark View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2005 at 22:33
Please don't say this is going to be strictly a region 2 release.

Edited by marktheshark
marktheshark View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2005 at 18:48
I went to the ELP site and no mention of it. Is this an authorized release?

Edited by marktheshark
 Post Reply Post Reply