Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: That Sigur Ros guitartone
    Posted: April 18 2009 at 13:55
He uses a bow on his guitar, that's what mainly makes the sound. And a lot of reverb I guess.

Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2009 at 06:24
About 2 seconds of my time searching google revealed a tone of info. Google is your friend.
Marshall JCM 2000 into a Digitech TSR-24. The TSR-24 is out of production though, heh.
Obviously, you do not have the money to shell out on a JCM, and honestly, you probably don't need one either anyway, but of course if you wanted to nail it more accurately, hey, go steal one:P

What you need, is a reverb effect unit (if you want to record wet) that has a significantly wet tone that seemingly takes over the signal and takes a lot of the dry tone out of your signal.
Something like an Alesis Quadraverb can do this, you'd have to look on ebay for it as because f**k knows when those things went out of production.
Obviously though, you can try out any reverb unit to see if will do that effect I described above. Maybe the reverb in your Zoom pedal can do that, I have no idea, I've never used one.
Alternatively, get a proper recording program (you know, one that isn't free and a piece of sh*t like Audacity) and see if you can set the reverb to become extremely wet in the signal and see if it 'overpowers' the sound.

Seriously, actually spend some money on a proper recording suite. Don't have money? You need a job.
It doesn't have to be an expensive suite, I'm sure you can get a decent one that will work for around 70-100 EUR.

As a rule, if you want your recordings not to sound like a demo tape, do not record using the line out of a amp simulator and into a computer's line in on the sound card in your computer.
The impednce levels don't match dude, not even close so it's gonna sound like sh*t.
Sell your Zoom and Ibanez pedal on ebay and pickup something like a Line 6 Toneport on the evilbay for same amount of money.
Now, you will not only have way better amp sims, but you can record via USB and use headphones or studio monitors to directly monitor your tone.
This has the effect of not only actually sounding good, but the latency is significantly lower.

cobb2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2009 at 17:41
Don't know how good the effects filters are in audacity, but assuming they are okay, you should be able to change the guitar after you have recorded it. You might want to work out what the basic sound and tone of the guitar should be- this may be difficult with sigur ros, as they use a lot of effects -and record the guitar, then play with the plug-in effects in audacity. I would suggest you get a better recording suite though.
Passionist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2009 at 16:03

Hiya. I wonder if anyone knows what I mean. I'm looking at a project with me and Vel (in my signature), and he requires that I play the way Sigur Ros plays in songs such as Hjartad Hamast, about at 0:40s, where there sounds like there's lots of sustain and circulation on some ambient sounds. Pretty much his style too.

I'm just afraid I may not be able to record that with my Squier strat mics through a Zoom 606 right into my laptop integrated soundcard with Audacity? I know it sounds hopeless, but it's all I've got, well, that and an Ibanez distortion pedal. These worked on the albums before... Anyway, I'd just want to know if anyone had an idea about it?

-Tuomas--

Post Reply Post Reply