Topic ClosedThe Christian Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 92>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2009 at 08:38
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Originally posted by progismylife progismylife wrote:

It was a real encouragement to the church, to see young people become members. I think I'm the 6th person under 30 to be brought into membership in the past year. 

Our church is very small, and has few people under 30.

I am 25, and I play electric guitar with the pianist there- yep, just the two of us.

But hey, you "non-going-to-church-types" Wink- how would you like to hear prog in church?

I have performed work from Neal Morse, Proto-Kaw, and myself in my church.  It's cool!  Thumbs Up

That's cool! There have been so many times when I've been tempted to play prog on the church organ, but I don't know how to play the songs.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2009 at 09:16

It was a real encouragement to the church, to see young people become members. I think I'm the 6th person under 30 to be brought into membership in the past year. 

Our church is very small, and has few people under 30.

I am 25, and I play electric guitar with the pianist there- yep, just the two of us.

But hey, you "non-going-to-church-types" Wink- how would you like to hear prog in church?

I have performed work from Neal Morse, Proto-Kaw, and myself in my church.  It's cool!  Thumbs Up

Our church is still growing. We have a relatively large number of young families but also older people.
I would like to hear some prog in church now and then, but that is just a personal preference, not a necessary element here. Some older people are annoyed when the guitarist plays in a hard-rock style.

progismylife View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2009 at 10:33
My church is rather good about music. We have a youth music group that plays for the evening service occasionally and are introducing more modern songs to the congregation. We don't have a drum kit (yet) tho. Mostly because we need someone who can play it properly and the need to buy an electronic drum kit. The acoustics of the building won't agree with the acoustic drum kit I'm afraid. But we do have someone playing drums on a keyboard
Norbert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2009 at 13:54
Nice thread.
For me the best discovery of 2008. was the Tindentine Rite masses in Budapest.
The traditional lyturgy of our Catholic churc h has all the mystery, sacredness and beauty what I need
(I really like the Greek lyturgy, too.), Gregorian chants and sacred polyphony wondefully serves the lyturgy.
Good that,you dont need the "lefebrists" for a traditional mass anymore.
Thanks to a wise decision of the Holy Father(Summorum Pontificium).
From the Bible I am mainly a Gospel reader, I value St. John's Gospel the highest.

Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2009 at 13:59
Cool thread

I've been absent from church for a while now- but Io plan to return very soon.

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2009 at 15:24

My church is rather good about music. We have a youth music group that plays for the evening service occasionally and are introducing more modern songs to the congregation. We don't have a drum kit (yet) tho. Mostly because we need someone who can play it properly and the need to buy an electronic drum kit. The acoustics of the building won't agree with the acoustic drum kit I'm afraid. But we do have someone playing drums on a keyboard

I personally find preachy christian vocal music to be annoying.  Anything going on interesting that is just instrumental or is vocal christian music pretty much a prerequisite these days?
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2009 at 12:46
As I wrote earlier, I stayed away from the church for a very long time and when I started attending services for a short period (with the woman who later became my wife) about 8 or 9 years ago, we went to one of the huge mega-churches that could easily accommodate several thousand worshippers.  The contemporary band and singers kinda threw me for a loop because I had been brought up with hymns and gospel music that was choir-driven and joined only by an organ.  The church I go to now is much, much more intimate but they also have a combo w/singers and perform very current songs of praise.  Some tunes are better than others but I miss the old standards that I was raised on.  (I would really enjoy some Neal Morse but that ain't gonna happen, I guarantee!)  In fact, I was chatting with the guitarist who seemed pretty hip but he had no idea who Morse was (although he did recognize Mike Portnoy when I added that he played drums for Neal's studio work.)  Yet I understand that younger people want music and a presentation that they can relate to and, like the video screens in the sanctuary, this approach seems to put them at ease.  I figure as long as it's well done then the progger in me can tolerate.
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2009 at 12:49
I don't know to be honest. My church does corporate worship, meaning we  try to pick songs that have good lyrics (not just repeat the same thing over and over and over and over) that are relevant to the sermon, but also have a good tune, meaning we can all worship together and not just those with good musical skill, and also that the music accents the words correctly (stressing important words).

I'm sure if you had a desire to make a Christian instrumental song it would be good, but I don't think it would have a good spot in a church service.

Due to the desire to stress the lyrics and the meaning of the song a lot of the time we have old hymns because newer songs seem to be more about the sound of the music alone as opposed to the music helping convey the meaning of the lyrics.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2009 at 13:26
I know many churches, particularly those with a wide generational span, have experienced "worship wars," those difficult times when people can't agree on what music is appropriate for church.  Hymns?  Too boring and traditional.  Contemporary music?  Too loud and irreverent.  Many churches even resort to holding two services- one with one kind of music, and one with the other.

All in all, I'd say such debate is dishonoring to God- why divide your congregation in order to please people?  Is that what church is for, to please people?

Note Romans 12:1-
"Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship.
"

God was never pleased with the offerings or sacrifices of Israel when they were entrenched in sin.  In fact, he abhorred them.

It's like if I beat my wife, keep her locked in a closet, and cheat on her, but then tell her I love her with all my heart- I make myself out to be a liar.

Before uttering a word of praise or singing a song during the worship service, Christians should survey their hearts and make sure they are not continually displeasing God.  Songs of praise and worship should be a reflection of what is truly in the heart, not used as a mask to hide our evil.

That said, the type of music is irrelevant:  Somewhere in Africa, Christians dance to a tribal rhythm and sing of God's gory.  Somewhere in America, a rapper is spitting rhymes about God's goodness.  Somewhere in England, headbangers are bobbing to heavy riffs and growls about God's mercy.

And that's fine by me.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2009 at 16:25
^Agreed. Clap

My dad said you would not believe how many people he had to have a talk to in our old church about what worship actually was, so much so that he did sermon series on it. Not many people listened though.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2009 at 16:26
Speaking of rappers, have you heard of Shai Linne? He has AWESOME lyrics. Seriously the best ones I have ever heard.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2009 at 16:34

Speaking of rappers, have you heard of Shai Linne? He has AWESOME lyrics. Seriously the best ones I have ever heard.

I have not, and I do happen to like some rap music, so that will be something to check out.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2009 at 16:45
Great thread. Good idea, Epignosis. Clap

Edited by Moogtron III - March 19 2009 at 16:48
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2009 at 16:47
I'm a pastor myself, and the Bible is a great inspiration for me. Currently I'm leading a Bible study on the book of Revelation, which is pretty heavy stuff, but very interesting and appealing anyway. Our church is small but many people are really serious about their faith, which is really cool. Currently I'm in a national working group which wants to investigate how to let our churches really go along with the times which are a-changin'. Also I'm leading international christian youth camps where youth from Africa and Europe meet and study the Bible together and do social projects for people who live in the margin of society. We want to include the US as well, by the way.

As for the musical wars: there's no war in our church, but we have the people who prefer traditional songs and people who like the modern stuff. With some church members we have a band now, also performing in church from time to time. I'm playing keys. Alas, no prog in this band (I do have an other group where I can play prog), but from time to time I'll play some intricaye chords on my keys, and one of my guitar players can play Shine On You Crazy Diamond perfectly. not during church service, obviously, although my oldest brother in his young days, playing in church, often put some Beatle melodies alongside the hymns LOL

Edited by Moogtron III - March 19 2009 at 16:49
Diaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2009 at 16:53
I'm member of the quite small Hungarian Lutheran church. Our congregation is very small, almost consists entirely of my family (that's a filia of a bigger congregation). However, I go every Friday to the youth club of the biggest church of the country, where I was christened and I did my confirmation three years ago.
We always have there lots of fun, it's great to have young people like me whom I can talk about God.

In fact, I still need stronger faith and have to obey more what He said to us...I hope the time I reach this isn't far away.
yeah
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2009 at 16:57
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

I'm a pastor myself, and the Bible is a great inspiration for me. Currently I'm leading a Bible study on the book of Revelation, which is pretty heavy stuff, but very interesting and appealing anyway. Our church is small but many people are really serious about their faith, which is really cool. Currently I'm in a national working group which wants to investigate how to let our churches really go along with the times which are a-changin'. Also I'm leading international christian youth camps where youth from Africa and Europe meet and study the Bible together and do social projects for people who live in the margin of society. We want to include the US as well, by the way.

As for the musical wars: there's no war in our church, but we have the people who prefer traditional songs and people who like the modern stuff. With some church members we have a band now, also performing in church from time to time. I'm playing keys. Alas, no prog in this band (I do have an other group where I can play prog), but from time to time I'll play some intricaye chords on my keys, and one of my guitar players can play Shine On You Crazy Diamond perfectly. not during church service, obviously, although my oldest brother in his young days, playing in church, often put some Beatle melodies alongside the hymns LOL

Welcome!

I remember the time my friends and I played "Comfortably Numb" at a church talent show once.

Ouch
LOL
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2009 at 16:58
Originally posted by Diaby Diaby wrote:

I'm member of the quite small Hungarian Lutheran church. Our congregation is very small, almost consists entirely of my family (that's a filia of a bigger congregation). However, I go every Friday to the youth club of the biggest church of the country, where I was christened and I did my confirmation three years ago.
We always have there lots of fun, it's great to have young people like me whom I can talk about God.

In fact, I still need stronger faith and have to obey more what He said to us...I hope the time I reach this isn't far away.

You and me both!
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2009 at 21:31

I know many churches, particularly those with a wide generational span, have experienced "worship wars," those difficult times when people can't agree on what music is appropriate for church.  Hymns?  Too boring and traditional.  Contemporary music?  Too loud and irreverent.  Many churches even resort to holding two services- one with one kind of music, and one with the other.
Not just generationally, acoustic guitars and tambourines set my teeth on edge. But contemporary praise music is part of a larger problem in my view of watering down Catholicism with Protestantism, and since I'm sure most of the people in this thread are Protestant...
Quote That said, the type of music is irrelevant: 
From a theological standpoint, yes. But you shouldn't be so quick to dismiss the discomfort of those who find contemporary music asinine--their ability to focus on God is important too.

Although at the moment I'm a pretty terrible Catholic so I guess I don't have much room to talk. ;-)
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Norbert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2009 at 09:13
In  my opinion the lyturgy should rather stay with ones like Palestrina and Lassus, for other occassions, even inside the church building there is nothing wrong with contemporary music.
Actually I'm very fond of listening gregorian and lyturgical music by great classical composers also at home.
Modern praising music is not so much my bag, but I understand that it may mean many things for others.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2009 at 09:26
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Not just generationally, acoustic guitars and tambourines set my teeth on edge. But contemporary praise music is part of a larger problem in my view of watering down Catholicism with Protestantism, and since I'm sure most of the people in this thread are Protestant...
Quote That said, the type of music is irrelevant: 
From a theological standpoint, yes. But you shouldn't be so quick to dismiss the discomfort of those who find contemporary music asinine--their ability to focus on God is important too.

Although at the moment I'm a pretty terrible Catholic so I guess I don't have much room to talk. ;-)

I actually don't dismiss people's discomfort regarding certain forms of music, but I do acknowledge it as a secondary matter compared to a worshipful heart.

I mean, if we had traditional praise songs in the strictest sense, we would be singing in ancient Hebrew, and playing ancient Near Eastern instruments, which I suspect would make most of us today cringe (unless you are a Samla Mammas Manna fan LOL).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 92>