Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Christian Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8889909192>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 09:17
my faith is my light. I`ll be more fourth forward later.
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 13:09
I was talking with Theo and sent him a video of a woman who asks the faithful members of her "CULT" for money to touch the head of a statue that will supposedly give them a lot of money (THAT'S IDOLATRY, THE IMAGE REPLACES GOD, OUR SAINTS DON'T REPLACE GOD), she divides the crew in two groups, one that have to pay US$ 1,000.000 that will go first, and others that can pay US$ 500.00 that will touch the statue later.

When people say they don't have money, she has the nerve to say that she accepts a car or diamonds or jewelry. One poor woman handles here a paper with her name, and the preacher calls her DISHONEST, because that paper is worth nothing, until she finds the poor woman is giving her a check and her face changes.

It's totally in Spanish and can't post it here.

But those people harm Christianity, when people sees them place all of us in the same sack, just as the lamest miracle in history.

For those who don't speak Spanish, the guy says that the woman has an arm shorter than the other (Placing one hand obviously behind the other).

The guy speaks in Spanish and makes some sounds (According to them, language of angels Dead ) the woman moves her hands in order to make people believe her fingers have grown (Of course a sidekick shout and praises),  and then ask for money.

This merchants of faith, should disappear.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - February 11 2014 at 13:10

Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 13:27
Theologian J.I. Packer once called theologians are some sort of water expurgators.
There are a lot of things going on in Christianity which should be critically followed, it's like expurgating water from bacterias and other harmful elements.
In a certain phase in my life was quite astounded by prosperity gospel, which says you can pray for anything that your heart desires, and poverty is a sign of unbelief.
Nowadays, I could easily put that aside because of simply reading the Bible, and pointing towards millions of strong believers with little or no money.
Still, it hinders me that so many people in Christianity have strange thoughts and dogmas.
You should always be critical, that's for sure.

Iván, if I may be so frank to ask, I read somewhere that you said that you did begin to study theology, but why did you stop?
Me, I studied law and later did theology, so it looked like I took the opposite route, or am I mistaking?
Just being curious.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 13:46
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

I was talking with Theo and sent him a video of a woman who asks the faithful members of her "CULT" for money to touch the head of a statue that will supposedly give them a lot of money (THAT'S IDOLATRY, THE IMAGE REPLACES GOD, OUR SAINTS DON'T REPLACE GOD), she divides the crew in two groups, one that have to pay US$ 1,000.000 that will go first, and others that can pay US$ 500.00 that will touch the statue later.

When people say they don't have money, she has the nerve to say that she accepts a car or diamonds or jewelry. One poor woman handles here a paper with her name, and the preacher calls her DISHONEST, because that paper is worth nothing, until she finds the poor woman is giving her a check and her face changes.

It's totally in Spanish and can't post it here.

But those people harm Christianity, when people sees them place all of us in the same sack, just as the lamest miracle in history.

For those who don't speak Spanish, the guy says that the woman has an arm shorter than the other (Placing one hand obviously behind the other).

The guy speaks in Spanish and makes some sounds (According to them, language of angels Dead ) the woman moves her hands in order to make people believe her fingers have grown (Of course a sidekick shout and praises),  and then ask for money.

This merchants of faith, should disappear.

Iván

As I told you in the PM, I found that video disgusting. It saddens me how people are ignorant and kept in ignorance so as to become easier preys for these type of predators. poor people, many I'm sure didn't even have that much money yet they willingly give it away to fraudsters like that woman. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 15:22
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Iván, if I may be so frank to ask, I read somewhere that you said that you did begin to study theology, but why did you stop?
Me, I studied law and later did theology, so it looked like I took the opposite route, or am I mistaking?
Just being curious.

Didn't stopped Moogtron.

Our University system contemplates 2 years of General Studies, and we are forced to take 2 years of a foreign language that wasn't taught at your school (I Took German) because my school is from USA, and also you have to take 8 classes of another profession different to the one you will go, I took 4 classes of History and 4 classes of Theology, but liked both, so I took my elective courses (28 credits)  30%/70% in history and Theology, but even more, I asked permission to take my 2 mandatory Philosophy classes, the Ethic class, and a couple more in the Theology faculty.

I made more or less 50% of the Theology career and 25% of the History, I planned to finish Theology. But when I finished General Studies, I had to start my law classes, and focus in the career, plus we have to make 2 years of Pre-Professional Practice in a law firm to get your degree, and I didn't have time.

Then  I started to work as a lawyer in a chemical company  and never finished. I plan to complete the studies in some years when the situation is better.

Iván

Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2014 at 03:07

Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Just being curious.

Didn't stopped Moogtron.

Our University system contemplates 2 years of General Studies, and we are forced to take 2 years of a foreign language that wasn't taught at your school (I Took German) because my school is from USA, and also you have to take 8 classes of another profession different to the one you will go, I took 4 classes of History and 4 classes of Theology, but liked both, so I took my elective courses (28 credits)  30%/70% in history and Theology, but even more, I asked permission to take my 2 mandatory Philosophy classes, the Ethic class, and a couple more in the Theology faculty.

I made more or less 50% of the Theology career and 25% of the History, I planned to finish Theology. But when I finished General Studies, I had to start my law classes, and focus in the career, plus we have to make 2 years of Pre-Professional Practice in a law firm to get your degree, and I didn't have time.

Then  I started to work as a lawyer in a chemical company  and never finished. I plan to complete the studies in some years when the situation is better.

Iván

Okay, now I understand.
That's a broad education you had, good for you!
I hope you'll find the time, in the future, to complete theology studies.
Is it just for interest that you would finish it, or would you want to do something with it professionally as well?

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2014 at 13:16
Ivan, here's is some of what some of those you mentioned believe in. I respect beliefs but idiocy ... 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2014 at 15:13
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Ivan, here's is some of what some of those you mentioned believe in. I respect beliefs but idiocy ... 

I've seen the video, it's moronic

. Kan Ham is the idiot who created the atrocious Creation Museum, with scientific exhibitions as:

God, you have to be a bit retarded to believe that human lived with dinosaurs simultaneously  against all proofs.

- Pastor Peter la Ruffa is a perfect idiot with his phrase:

"If somewhere within the Bible, I were to find a passage that said 2 + 2 = 5, I wouldn't question what I'm reading in the Bible. I would believe it, accept it as true, and then do my best to work it out and understand it."
Pastor Peter La Ruffa. 

That's what I call "Moron and proud"...The Bible is a book of faith, not a book of science

- Dr (In what?) Charles Bonner is the worst retarded of all, he says the worst stupidity many creationists fal in, is to believe that huan body is made at the image of God:

a) Man was made at the image of God
b) Then Man can't be an animal, because God is not an animal.

That's stupid, Saint Augustine in 410 (City of God), clearley explained this:

Quote When we shall have reached that peace, this mortal life shall give place to one that is eternal, and our body shall be no more this animal body which by its corruption weighs down the soul, but a spiritual body

This ignorant pastors doctors in God know what, downgrade God to the corruptible nature of man.

God doesn't have a body, a face, eyes, arms, etc..God is a spiritual being and the only part of man that can be the image of God, is man's immortal soul.

The Pope John Paul II was clear  in this point when talking to the Pontifical Academy of Sciences (He was a Real doctor in Theology, Philosophy and History, but never used the title) 

Quote It is by virtue of his eternal soul that the whole person, including his body, possesses such great dignity. Pius XII underlined the essential point: if the origin of the human body comes through living matter which existed previously, the spiritual soul is created directly by God ("animas enim a Deo immediate creari catholica fides non retimere iubet"). (Humani Generis)

MESSAGE TO THE PONTIFICAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES:
ON EVOLUTION
Pope John Paul II

So, anybody who believes the corruptible human body is made at the image of God, is an ignorant.

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - February 12 2014 at 15:18

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2014 at 15:57
All true, though nothing beats the woman saying "I'd encourage Mr. Darwin to try God" LOLLOLLOL 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2014 at 19:39

All true, though nothing beats the woman saying "I'd encourage Mr. Darwin to try God" LOLLOLLOL 

I don't blame that woman, that's an act of faith, and God knows if that woman even know who's Darwin, they are a product of schools who teach that Intelligent Design is a science. A few Catholics believe in ID (Very few, specially in USA), but even they know that it's not science, it's religion....I criticize people  who use the prefix Dr, before their names and say teach that evolution is diabolic.

My nephew has 10 years, and he studies in the same Catholic School I did, just gave him my copy of The Origin of the Species I used many decades ago (I keep some school books covered with transparent plastic), the funny thing is that he also has the same science teacher I had, the guy must be 60 at least (he was a newly graduate in my days and heard Rick Wakeman), but I'm glad he is still there, because the guy taught me that evolution is not incompatible with faith.

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2014 at 09:26
Last night I watched a lovely family film called Marcellino Pan y Vino, which was made in 1955 in Spain.  It is about a young child adopted by Franciscan friars after his mother's death.  The boy is a little rascal who keeps interesting the lives of these monks and of course they get very attached to him.  Over time he develops a relationship with our Lord that is handled very beautifully by the filmmaker. 

By today's standards the film is old fashioned and this might bother today's viewer used to action and modern technique.  But if you are looking for an affirming family film that embraces faith rather than mocking it, this is a charming little story.   There are many positive messages throughout.  There have been remakes over the years but i would encourage you to seek out the original 1955 version, there's something special about this film.  The DVD comes with subtitles or an English audio track if you don't like reading subtitles. 

Prog 74 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2014 at 10:58
My faith is a floundering thing.  I believe in Christ though I do not attend any particular church.  To believe in Christ and to be religious are entirely different things.  I don't agree with much that is preached in church, especially in regards to social issues - gay marriage, abortion, etc.  I do believe in Christ however my faith changes day to day though.  Some days I just don't believe in any of it, yet I never completely give up on it.  It's a struggle I guess.  Anyone else feel this way?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2014 at 11:14
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Last night I watched a lovely family film called Marcellino Pan y Vino, which was made in 1955 in Spain.  It is about a young child adopted by Franciscan friars after his mother's death.  The boy is a little rascal who keeps interesting the lives of these monks and of course they get very attached to him.  Over time he develops a relationship with our Lord that is handled very beautifully by the filmmaker. 

By today's standards the film is old fashioned and this might bother today's viewer used to action and modern technique.  But if you are looking for an affirming family film that embraces faith rather than mocking it, this is a charming little story.   There are many positive messages throughout.  There have been remakes over the years but i would encourage you to seek out the original 1955 version, there's something special about this film.  The DVD comes with subtitles or an English audio track if you don't like reading subtitles. 

Damn!! I forgot to report back on this!!
I love old movies Jim and couldn't resist asking my dad about this one seeing as he is the closest anyone can possibly get to becoming a living breathing film encyclopaedia. Well what d'you know - he actually knew it and told me he'd seen it with his dad some 50 years ago. 
I'll keep my peepers open for it. Who knows, maybe I could make this into a family tradition. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2014 at 18:27
^

David, that's awesome!  Sounds like a great family tradition.  I'm going to try watching the remake sometime to see how Iike it in comparison.  But the original is the original, can't go wrong!  Smile

aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2014 at 18:40

I don't blame that woman, that's an act of faith, and God knows if that woman even know who's Darwin, they are a product of schools who teach that Intelligent Design is a science. A few Catholics believe in ID (Very few, specially in USA), but even they know that it's not science, it's religion....I criticize people  who use the prefix Dr, before their names and say teach that evolution is diabolic.

My nephew has 10 years, and he studies in the same Catholic School I did, just gave him my copy of The Origin of the Species I used many decades ago (I keep some school books covered with transparent plastic), the funny thing is that he also has the same science teacher I had, the guy must be 60 at least (he was a newly graduate in my days and heard Rick Wakeman), but I'm glad he is still there, because the guy taught me that evolution is not incompatible with faith.

I totally agree that science (evolution included) is not incompatible with faith. Does the genealogy of Christ in the New Testament conflict with the Theory of Evolution (for human that is)?
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2014 at 18:46
Yes it does conflict. It conflicts very badly. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2014 at 18:49
Originally posted by Prog 74 Prog 74 wrote:

My faith is a floundering thing.  I believe in Christ though I do not attend any particular church.  To believe in Christ and to be religious are entirely different things.  I don't agree with much that is preached in church, especially in regards to social issues - gay marriage, abortion, etc.  I do believe in Christ however my faith changes day to day though.  Some days I just don't believe in any of it, yet I never completely give up on it.  It's a struggle I guess.  Anyone else feel this way?

Marc, I think many could probably relate to a floundering of faith as you say.  I know I was lost for several decades and at times even openly hostile to faith.  Just in the last few years some things happened that amaze me and I found out my faith and love of the catholic church was still there.  I'm not going into all of that here as much of it personal..  I would just say to try to keep the door open as you get older, pray and express your feelings to God, you never know....Also there are many different kinds of communities and you can certainly find one that fits whatever your views on social issues.    I wish you the best whatever happensSmile

Kentucky_Hawkwindage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2014 at 20:25

Yeah-I hear you...Only i may be floundering more than you.Not knocking anyone's beliefs,its a great thing if you can believe-but after what i've been through in my life it's really hard for me to believe in much of anything anymore.......
Prog 74 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2014 at 09:25
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Marc, I think many could probably relate to a floundering of faith as you say.  I know I was lost for several decades and at times even openly hostile to faith.  Just in the last few years some things happened that amaze me and I found out my faith and love of the catholic church was still there.  I'm not going into all of that here as much of it personal..  I would just say to try to keep the door open as you get older, pray and express your feelings to God, you never know....Also there are many different kinds of communities and you can certainly find one that fits whatever your views on social issues.    I wish you the best whatever happensSmile
The door will always be open.  Always.  It's just that sometimes life knocks you down so many times you begin to wonder if God is really looking out for you or not.  Some people say we are being "tested" to see how strong our faith is.  Maybe that's so, but it seems so cruel.  I do know I have a lot to be thankful for in spite of the bad times.  I'll keep praying and keep believing.  One day, in this life or in the next, it will all be revealed.   
Prog 74 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2014 at 09:31
Originally posted by Kentucky_Hawkwindage Kentucky_Hawkwindage wrote:

Yeah-I hear you...Only i may be floundering more than you.Not knocking anyone's beliefs,its a great thing if you can believe-but after what i've been through in my life it's really hard for me to believe in much of anything anymore.......
I know how you feel man.  I've been there many times.  In fact I've probably disbelieved more than I've believed in my life.  It's hard not to want "proof" or "evidence" or something.  Some people have had miraculous things happen to them and that is great, but what about the rest of us?  Where is our "sign"?  Where are these angels everyone talks about?  Why do bad things keep happening to good people?  I keep believing, but some days it's really hard.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8889909192>