Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPre-Prog Space Albums

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pre-Prog Space Albums
    Posted: March 17 2009 at 18:22
I want to recommend to the forum participants a small sub-genre of space-themed orchestral music that saw a brief emergence in the 40's, 50's, & 60's...there are only a handful of albums, but of those most are startlingly good. The composers' attempts to make a futuristic space oriented music enabled them to streatch their imaginations & push the envelope in terms of what an orchestra is capable. The compositions are highly reminiscent of Stravinsky & Debussy, with a little theramin appeal that puts one in mind of old sci-fi movie soundtracks (not to mention the album covers are pretty spiffy)...fans of RIO should feel right at home Wink

...here are some gems from the genre:

Harry Revel - Music Out Of The Moon (1947) ...this one is probably my least favorite, but I included it for both the earliness of its release & its extensive & pioneering use of the theramin - this album pretty much set the standard for the genre...

Walter Shumann - Exploring The Unknown (1955) ...a very cool space epic with Shatner-esque narration - this one is quickly becoming one of my personal favorites of the genre...

Russ Garcia - Fantastica: Music From Outer Space (1958) ...along with Comstock's Music From Outer Space, this recording is arguably the most elevated expression of the genre...

Attilio Mineo - Man In Space With Sounds (1962) ...this was the soundtrack to the space exhibit at the Seattle Worlds Fair...pretty strange stuff with quirky dialogue between tracks...

Frank Comstock - Music From Outer Space (1962) ...one of the most innovative & creative utilizations of orchestra to date - I absolutely love this album!

Edited by Captain Capricorn - March 18 2009 at 09:18
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2009 at 19:03

Captain Capricorn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2009 at 19:21
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Holst is an absolute genius...I sampled his Saturn, Bringer Of Old Age & Coltrane's Saturn from his Interstellar Space & played them together - wonderful effect! ...the chaos of Coltrane & Ali's work amidst the backdrop of the disciplined structure of Holst is mind expanding to say the least!

Edited by Captain Capricorn - March 17 2009 at 19:22
Captain Capricorn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2009 at 10:53
Here are some others from the same spacey scene, but their approach is electronic as opposed to orchestral...

Louis & Bebe Barron - Forbidden Planet (1956)

Morton Subotnick - Silver Apples Of The Moon (1967)

Tom Dissevelt - Fantasy In Orbit (1967)

Ton Dissevelt & Kid Baltan - Song Of The Second Moon (1968)

Edited by Captain Capricorn - March 18 2009 at 10:54
 Post Reply Post Reply