Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat??? miRthkon isn't in the archives???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: What??? miRthkon isn't in the archives???
    Posted: March 17 2009 at 19:57
How can they NOT be??? One of my favorite local bands. It thought they were better known but I guess not...

miRthkon

Sort of like a blend of Zappa, Meshuggah, and more... great stuff. For Avant, I think. They might fit in Math rock, or Fusion, you judge.  They describe themselves as tweaked-out atonal jazz thrash...

http://www.myspace.com/mirthkon
http://www.mirthkon.com/

miRthkon, under the lead of guitarist Wally Scharold, bombards the interested listener with a happy mix of well done, off-beat, aggressive and dry guitar riffs with complex, unusual compositions which are decorated with seemingly labyrinthine woodwind lines (mostly saxophones, but also clarinets) - it’s a true joy. Sometimes it sounds like a less hectic and less traversed version of Dr. Nerve, sometimes one can hear through the twisted melody lines the good old, late Frank Zappa (although updated with very heavy guitars), especially in the melodic, polyphonic, and playful ‘Daddylonglegz’. German listeners will be reminded of the more off-beat moments of Panzerballet, where the funkiness and more offensive jazziness are replaced with reminiscences of the RIO school (a bit of jazz rock is present here and there with miRthkon, although with more edge and sneer).

It sounds weird, and it is. But still it is not repelling or cold, but to the contrary through a casually ironic style and the fresh combination of diverse musical elements are quite attractive and despite all the musical roughness it is not harsh. Fine, very fine.

btw…

miRthkon lives in Oakland.

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2009 at 20:06
Great band, definitely worthy of addition

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2009 at 20:14
I just checked, there's two votes in favour on the chart (one mine) and so waiting for more of our team mates from ze ZART to vote.

http://progfreak.com/Mirthkon,_dbe,artists,_auto_1573148.xhtml?path=pa/raz
Jake Kobrin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2009 at 20:16
Awesome, just make sure then when you add them you spell the name miRthkon, not Mirthkon. 
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2009 at 20:56
Added!
 Post Reply Post Reply