Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - King Crimson albums-5.1 remixes by Steven Wilson
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKing Crimson albums-5.1 remixes by Steven Wilson

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: King Crimson albums-5.1 remixes by Steven Wilson
    Posted: March 18 2009 at 20:32
I searched but haven't seen anything posted regarding this subject.  From the Steven Wilson HQ website http://www.swhq.co.uk/index.cfm

King Crimson's label DGM have announced that they will start to release Steven's 5.1 surround sound mixes of the King Crimson back catalogue in June, with "Lizard" and "Red", followed by a special 40th anniversary edition of "In the Court of the Crimson King" in October. Where appropriate new stereo mixes and out-takes / alternates have also been mixed, although we don't know yet if DGM will approve these for release as part of the new editions.

Edited by rushaholic - March 06 2010 at 18:47
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2009 at 06:33
Please make it a boxset. Star
Bigger on the inside.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2009 at 09:40

This could be awesome.

Edited by stonebeard - March 19 2009 at 09:42
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2009 at 13:13
This could be the equivalent of the Deep Purple anniversary re-issues. Meaning that we find just how good the original mixes was compared to the new ones.
Or is it a remaster job that he's doing  ?
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
rushaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2009 at 14:49
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2009 at 15:28
I'll wait for the 50th anniversary editions.
Hamfari View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2009 at 09:49
haha ok, ´cause the 40th won´t be good enough ? Do you have it in for SW? ;D
You might get a heartattack in a layby or something when the 50th edition comes out... so better get the 40th ;)

So DGM "have announced". Where did they announce it?

Rushaholic, interesting link, thanx. A year old almost though.
These are 1-2 months old:

The unreleased and, at that point still untitled, piece was eventually given the name Absent Lovers. They only recorded backing tracks for it and never returned to finish it. It remained forgotten until Steve Wilson came across it whilst working on the 5.1 remixes of the Crimson catalogue, as mentioned in Robert's diary.

http://www.dgmlive.com/news.htm?position=80&entry=2262&

Quote:
A visit to Wilson World HQ...

[*some pics of SW in front of his computer-(see link)*]  

Quote:
...to work with Steven on the 5.1 mix of Beat. Once again, Steven has been a hero. A few suggestions from myself on a foundation of Crim-friendly & Crim-insightful mixing.

Beat has some stunning playing, plus one or two lesser pieces. The highlight: Steven & I / we / us agree is Neurotica. At Steven’s suggestion, we have included an unreleased backing track recorded on the Beat sessions, without overdubs, of Absent Lovers.

http://www.dgmlive.com/diaries.htm?artist=&show=&member=3&entry=1312 9

Edited by Hamfari - March 20 2009 at 09:51
Nobody needs to go anywhere else. We are all, if we only knew it, already there.
yes0genesis View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2010 at 13:14
It's more than a simple remaster, he is mixing the albums in 5.1 surround sound and in my opinion, Steven Wilson is a far better producer than Robert Fripp or anyone in King Crimson. Plus, Fripp has already stated that he was overjoyed after he heard the first remaster. Is THAT good enough for the nay-sayers out there?

Edited by yes0genesis - March 06 2010 at 13:14
"To be proven WRONG should be CELEBRATED-- for it is elevating someone to a new level of UNDERSTANDING, furthering AWARENESS."
Rottenhat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2010 at 13:58
Just ordered the  "In the Court of the Crimson King" 40th anniversary edition, the one with one CD and one DVD-Audio disc with 5.1 mixes. I am too much of a cheapskate to buy the "mega-box" version with 6 or so discs..:)

This is the first album I have bought twice. The old EG records version CD i have sounds quite muddy, but it is said to be made from bad multiple-generation masters, when the orginal masters was lost (but found again in 2003.)

Here's some info from Wikipedia:

Edited by Rottenhat - June 25 2010 at 14:25
Language is a virus from outer space.

-William S. Burroughs
intensedaz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2010 at 17:53
Originally posted by Rottenhat Rottenhat wrote:

Just ordered the  "In the Court of the Crimson King" 40th anniversary edition, the one with one CD and one DVD-Audio disc with 5.1 mixes. I am too much of a cheapskate to buy the "mega-box" version with 6 or so discs..:)

This is the first album I have bought twice. The old EG records version CD i have sounds quite muddy, but it is said to be made from bad multiple-generation masters, when the orginal masters was lost (but found again in 2003.)

Ordrerd my copy a few weeks ago then when it arrived the other half thought it would make a good birthday present , oh well , 8 minutes to go then    
Find a job you love and never work another day in your life
The Runaway View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2010 at 11:24
Originally posted by Rottenhat Rottenhat wrote:

Dude, I got the mega-boxset for free in France because so many albums along with it, it was so win!
Trendsetter win!

The search for nonexistent perfection.
Rottenhat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2010 at 11:49
I envy you Runaway..

What did you do to get a 80+ euros box-set for free? Did you use the five-finger-discount method? :)

And happy birthday to Intensedaz :) Where do you live by the way? The post was at 17:53, and prograrchives seems to be in Quebec, Canada, so you must be quite far for that Longitude? :) I guess you post meant you vere 8 minutes from 0:00. :)  I am not snooping just curious :)

Too lazy (and drunk)  to count the GMT times :)

A guess: Central Europe?  GMT +1

Edited by Rottenhat - June 26 2010 at 12:24
Language is a virus from outer space.

-William S. Burroughs
intensedaz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2010 at 13:20
RottenHat ,

I'm in the UK, and thank you

Still waiting to listen in 5.1 , what with it being the weekend and my families non appreciation of an absolute CLASSIC.

Satisfied myself with the CD version , headphones and a little too much Guinness
Find a job you love and never work another day in your life
Reverend View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2011 at 13:22
I have all the available 5.1 mixes and they are incredible. What Steven has done for Cirkus and Islands is beyond words. The original mixes seemed cluttered and he has opened up everything. You can hear Robert's acoustic work front and center. I had to listen to the original mixes just to make sure they hadn't tampered with the remixes by adding new material-they had not. Spend the money. It is more than worth it.
 Post Reply Post Reply