Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - New Deluge Grander album (& more Dan Britton news)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Deluge Grander album (& more Dan Britton news)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Deluge Grander album (& more Dan Britton news)
    Posted: March 19 2009 at 20:55
This just in:

The second Deluge Grander album "The Form of the Good" is at the printers and will hopefully be available by mid-April.
Samples from it can be heard on the Myspace page http://www.myspace.com/delugegrander and check the main site (www.delugegrander.com) in a few days too for updates.
Work has began on the third Deluge Grander album already and this one might be a vinyl-only release at first.

As for the other Dan Britton projects which will hopefully be released in 2009, Dan emailed me that the second album of Birds and  Buildings is in the works, following the previous albums' style ("avant/jazz prog with busy drums and sax") and probably called "Multipurpose Trap".
www.myspace.com/birdsandbuildings

Another project with Megan Wheatley singing is called All Over Everywhere and is a song-based album called "Inner Firmaments Decay."  "This will be quieter acoustic-based songs" as Dan says..

Another project called (probably) Elevator Machine Room along with Chris Mack of Oblivion Sun and Illuvatar is also in the works.

What more can one ask ?
I know I am very much looking forward to these releases.

Edited by avestin - March 19 2009 at 21:27
Speesh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2009 at 21:49
Excellent! I haven't listened to his stuff in a while, and never really fully digested Cerebus Effect. Should tide me over until the next DE album. Very curious to see where the sound goes.

Thanks for the news.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2009 at 18:05
From the Deluge Grander website - http://www.delugegrander.com/Releases.html

Releases

The Form of the Good (2009)

1. Before the Common Era (5:22)
2. The Tree Factory (14:08)
3. Common Era Caveman (6:26)
4. Aggrandizement (19:12)
5. The Form of the Good (8:41)

Before the Common Era:
The shortest piece in Deluge Grander history!  Probably also the quietest one, even with the big climax in the middle.  This one uses some samples of chanting recorded by Brett's uncle Frank at an old cabin in rural Saskatchewan several years ago.  Compared to most of our songs, it's pretty minimalist, and not exactly the most intense way to open an album, but it's intended to really create an atmosphere for what comes next.

The Tree Factory:
This one was built around a two drum rhythms Patrick came up with (one in 10 and a half, and the other in 21) and a very conventional Supertramp-styled electric piano pattern I used to call "San Jose 83" for some reason.  The symphonic intro and conventional ending were added on quickly after it ocurred to us to combine those three ideas, and Dave's melodies during the middle part of the song really added a lot.  We might have gone overboard with sound effects in a few places, but that made the song sound like what might happen in a factory, so there you go. 

Common Era Caveman:
Mostly just a 2-chord sequence, but there's a tight bassline/melody that ties the electric piano, bass guitar, and drums together, with a lot of fun stuff added on top.  Patrick had to put in a very intense performance to get the drums right for this one.

Aggrandizement:
A lot of work went into this.  Parts for cello, trombone, trumpet, flute, clarinet, oboe, saxophone, and violin were written out and recorded as best I could.  Plus the regular old drums, guitars, bass, and keyboards.  This one will probably get compared to "Inaugural Bash," and I think this piece sticks together a little better than "Inaugural Bash."  "Aggrandizement" really represents the album as a whole, starting out atmospheric, then getting a bit more intense, a drop in intensity followed by a conventional classical sounding section (composed around 1996 by the way) a meandering middle section, and then a steady buildup towards the big release with fierce bass playing and drum work. 

The Form of the Good:

Rather than end the album darkly, this closes on a more positive vibe.  The first half is quiet and dark, but all of a sudden, at around 4:30, a majestic sequence is played 11 times, followed by a reprise of the first song.

Although there's only singing on the first song (and that singing isn't really in English), there is a general "concept" to the album, at least in the artwork and song titles.

Cynips View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2009 at 01:58
Good news, From Bantam to Behemoth is one of my favorites of 2009 and I love August in the Urals too. Going to check out the samples right away.
 Post Reply Post Reply