Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGryphon accounce reunion gig in London, UK

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gryphon accounce reunion gig in London, UK
    Posted: March 22 2009 at 04:04
I see Gryphon are performing on June The 6th at Queen Elizabeth Hall. First time in over 30 years!
Owlchops View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2009 at 09:50
Wonderful.   A must see.
Gryphonic View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2009 at 04:15
Hello Gryphon fans!  It's official - Gryphon are playing live at the Queen Elizabeth Hall on Saturday 6th June 2009.

Tickets can be bought online here - http://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/calendar?action=production&production=46677&performance=46678, or by telephoning the box office on +44 (0)871 663 2500

Here's a copy of the press release...

www.gaudela.net/gryphon/

32 years ago Gryphon disappeared without trace under the onslaught of the new and totally unforgiving Punk Rock movement.  This was rather a surprise to their very loyal fan base, as Gryphon had represented one of the most interesting and unusual bands of the British progressive movement.

In 1973 Gryphon were commissioned by Sir Peter Hall to write the music for the Royal Shakespeare Company’s production of “The Tempest”.  They went on to perform the music at the Old Vic, being the only band of its type ever to have performed there.

Gryphon toured the US in late 1974 as a support act to Yes, playing stadium gigs including the Houston Astrodome, Texas, and Madison Square Garden, New York.  They also supported Yes on a UK tour as well as support for Steeleye Span in the same year, and even appeared on the King Biscuit Flower Hour radio concert series.  They were later supported by Richard Digance at a sold-out concert in the Queen Elizabeth Hall in London.  During this period alone they played in front of approximately 500,000 people.

Gryphon are to date the only band to have appeared on BBC Radios 1, 2, 3 and 4 all in the same week!  This is testament to the diversity of their music and how difficult it was to classify the group into one specific genre.  The five studio albums they produced between 1972 and 1977 demonstrate their evolution from an all-acoustic medieval music quartet to a progressive stadium rock band.

On Saturday 6th June 2009 the original band will return to play an acoustic concert of material from their first two albums, “Gryphon” and “Midnight Mushrumps,” at The Queen Elizabeth Hall on the Southbank in London.  For this performance they will be joined by special guest Graham Preskett.

For further information please contact Claire Bannister on 0208 398 0225 or [email protected]
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2009 at 16:10
I've got tickets for meself and the present Mrs Syzygy - anybody else going to this one? I know Trouserpress is going to be there.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

The Whistler View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2009 at 00:50
Who wants to take me to London?
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2009 at 15:51
My good lady will sadly no longer be able to accompany me and my friend to this gig so we now have a free ticket available to whomsoever wants it. If you're interested then either bung an email my way on [email protected] or send me a PM.

Edited by Trouserpress - May 28 2009 at 15:51
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2009 at 03:09
Originally posted by Syzygy Syzygy wrote:

I've got tickets for meself and the present Mrs Syzygy - anybody else going to this one? I know Trouserpress is going to be there.

I would've loved it, but we're voting the next day for Europe and since the commission is my employer, it(s not something I can do without.

Please kiss Flora on my behalf
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
 Post Reply Post Reply