Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPopol Vuh appreciation!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Popol Vuh appreciation!
    Posted: March 26 2009 at 13:52
Wow.  Just... wow.  I'm officially stunned! Shocked Big smile

Popol Vuh came up as a suggestion for me on emusic.com the other day.  Since then I've been practically glued to my ipod, obsessively listening to them! Tongue

The early electronic albums are fantastic.  I especially love Vuh from In den Gärten Pharaos. Clap

But I'm liking the other, more acoustic, aethereal-sounding, dewy, spiritually-inclined stuff just as much.  Hosianna Mantra is just gorgeous!

One way or another, I have a LOT of listening to do...

(I haven't a clue when it comes to Krautrock, so I wonder what else is out there, waiting for me to fall in love with it! LOL  Someone needs to make a 'Krautrock drop-in' thread for the purpose of indoctrinating the unwary! Wink)
LinusW View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2009 at 13:55
I've started to delve into Krautrock the last three days, and Hosianna Mantra is painfully beautiful. I'm amazed by it. Listened to In Den Gärten Pharaos once, but wasn't really paying attention (cleaning up the mess that was my apartment Embarrassed).

Want to hear MORE. Definitely with you on this! 
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2009 at 13:58
I remember having to watch the opening scene from Wener Herzog's "Aguirre" in one of my classes. Said film (like several other Herzog productions) has a soundtrack made by none other than Popol Vuh. Do yourself a favour and look up that scene. It's amazing.

I ended up downloading the album off eMusic as soon as I got home from class.
song_of_copper View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2009 at 14:14
Originally posted by LinusW LinusW wrote:

I've started to delve into Krautrock the last three days, and Hosianna Mantra is painfully beautiful. I'm amazed by it. Listened to In Den Gärten Pharaos once, but wasn't really paying attention (cleaning up the mess that was my apartment Embarrassed).

Want to hear MORE. Definitely with you on this! 

Y'know, that very much works as a way to introduce your brain to unfamiliar music! LOL  You'll find it surfacing in your conscious mind eventually... Wacko

Originally posted by WalterDigsTunes WalterDigsTunes wrote:

I remember having to watch the opening scene from Wener Herzog's "Aguirre" in one of my classes. Said film (like several other Herzog productions) has a soundtrack made by none other than Popol Vuh. Do yourself a favour and look up that scene. It's amazing.

I ended up downloading the album off eMusic as soon as I got home from class.

Haha, I'm there already... I've got the DVD queued in my movie rental list! Approve LOL  Not heard the album yet, but I grabbed it earlier, so it's only a matter of time...
LinusW View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2009 at 14:22
I've listened to a lot of Tanz Der Lemminge by Amon Duul II as well. And Agitation Free's Malesch is a hit. And Ege Bamyasi by Can was a pleasant surprise, but one that'll need more time to sink in. 
LinusW View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2009 at 14:28
And you really need some Franco Battiato. Clic or Sulle Corde di Aries Big smile
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2009 at 14:32
Hosianna Mantra  Just maybe the most beautiful album ever recorded .
And Yep   Popol Vuh   (Florian Fricke )  wonderful wonderful Music ............................
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2009 at 14:38

I've listened to a lot of Tanz Der Lemminge by Amon Duul II as well. And Agitation Free's Malesch is a hit. And Ege Bamyasi by Can was a pleasant surprise, but one that'll need more time to sink in. 

Krautrock always seems massive and daunting to me. Confused  And so varied.  Anything goes!!  More than most subgenres it seems to be very much a matter of personal taste as to what's 'good' or 'bad'! Tongue

I've read a lot of high praise for Amon Duul II, so I might have to try them some time...

And you really need some Franco Battiato. Clic or Sulle Corde di Aries Big smile

Ah, yes, there is still so much on the Italian side that I haven't heard yet!  Thanks for the recommendation... Big smile
Mikerinos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2009 at 14:57
Popol Vuh is fantastic.  I have the first two albums, Hosianna Mantra, Earth & Sky (I translated the title from German since I forget how to say that in German), and Aguirre.  Each of them is very unique, interesting, and it just feels so cleansing to listen to- especially the acoustic albums.

I'd like to get more in the near future, but there are always other things in the way.  They seem like a band that deserves to have their entire discography explored.
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2009 at 17:20

Their music is beautiful, excellent band and  like other poster said, their music on Aguirre is fabolous, i remember i bought the movie of Fitzcarraldo just because Popol Vuh were who did the music, and it is also awesome, the scenes and the music make a fantastic watching

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2009 at 06:22
Originally posted by Mikerinos Mikerinos wrote:

Popol Vuh is fantastic.  I have the first two albums, Hosianna Mantra, Earth & Sky (I translated the title from German since I forget how to say that in German), and Aguirre.  Each of them is very unique, interesting, and it just feels so cleansing to listen to- especially the acoustic albums.

I'd like to get more in the near future, but there are always other things in the way.  They seem like a band that deserves to have their entire discography explored.

Absolutely! Smile  It seems to me that often I listen to particular music for the feeling it gives me, as much as what it sounds like, and this feels very meditative, relaxing and - yes - cleansing.  And it's always great to come across a band that is unfamiliar to you, that has a large discography, most of which looks worth investigating! Tongue
RunawayBoy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2009 at 16:23
Maybe this reply is going to be a bit outside the topic, but do you guys know that there's a prog-band from Norway which also call themselves Popol Vuh? (They changed their name to Popol Ace later on, to avoid confusion with the german Vuh.)

Anyway, to every prog-fan out there; I recommend to check out the Norwegian Vuh:Popol Vuh - For Eternity

Edited by RunawayBoy - March 27 2009 at 16:25
Hey Stan, come see what your old man made
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2009 at 05:37
Originally posted by song_of_copper song_of_copper wrote:

Originally posted by Mikerinos Mikerinos wrote:

Absolutely! Smile  It seems to me that often I listen to particular music for the feeling it gives me, as much as what it sounds like, and this feels very meditative, relaxing and - yes - cleansing.  And it's always great to come across a band that is unfamiliar to you, that has a large discography, most of which looks worth investigating! Tongue

I actually prefer the later, more acoustic albums but everything is worth hearing. I strongly recommend downlaoding the 18 minute title track of Bruder des Schattens... and the whole of Nosferatu except the 5 minute version of 'Bruder'. Too much to fit on 1 CD (which is why the track was edited) but a magical listening experience.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

A B Negative View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2009 at 08:09

Popol Vuh came up as a suggestion for me on emusic.com the other day.  Since then I've been practically glued to my ipod, obsessively listening to them! Tongue

The early electronic albums are fantastic.  I especially love Vuh from In den Gärten Pharaos. Clap

But I'm liking the other, more acoustic, aethereal-sounding, dewy, spiritually-inclined stuff just as much.  Hosianna Mantra is just gorgeous!

One way or another, I have a LOT of listening to do...

(I haven't a clue when it comes to Krautrock, so I wonder what else is out there, waiting for me to fall in love with it! LOL  Someone needs to make a 'Krautrock drop-in' thread for the purpose of indoctrinating the unwary! Wink)

If you like Affenstunde and In den Gärten Pharaos, you might like early Tangerine Dream. Florian Fricke guests on TD's Zeit.
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
zodnix View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2010 at 08:25
if you are interested in listening to Popol Vuh in a Church in London, there is a series of events going on called 'A Celebration of Popol Vuh' where albums are played in the Church to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the group's formation.  more info: http://acelebrationof.blogspot.com/
tickets here: http://www.wegottickets.com/event/70095

25th feb they are playing 'In den garten pharaos' and 'affenstunde' - should be awesome!
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2010 at 08:47
I've enjoyed this band since 1980. They are in a classification of their own. I tend to play various titles from their back catalog when my mood swings toward and afternoon of Mike Oldfield and Island period Jade Warrior. Could you imagine a concert with all three artists back in the day? Popol Vuh records were dis-organized a bit to fans in the 70's. The track listings on the Celestial Harmonies label release In The Gardens of Pharo/Aquirre  would  differ from the original European releases and some fans became a little confused until they investigated the entire history of the band. Many times some prog buddies of mine would call me up asking why a specific title would include the same tracks as their film scores?  Back when there was just LP'S and no internet, the task of research into a band's history was a little more difficult. I couldn't care less as I purchased everything from this band and was totally satisfied.   
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2010 at 20:03

We were enjoying them when these came out and I can tell you that this was the new age in music ... that no one wanted to talk about.

It also featured ideas and processes that are not explained enough, or discussed with clarity and appreciated by an audience that only knows rock music and none of the other arts.

While their music is "wide" and "visual" ... you might want to visit the early Werner Hezog films and see how their music was used ... and it actually adds to the effect and visualization of how these people learned, saw and felt music ... something that is extremely difficult to get past with this "prog" audience here that can only discuss the merits of London and think the world is all bad and automatically not prog or appreciated for anything whatsoever ... and that which became known as "krautrock" was -- a result of the desire to expand a lof ot the feeling into something else beyond pop music ... to this day, Klaus Schulze and AshRaTempel -- their brothers in arms if you will are still doing totally free form anything meditations and ragas, that most rock audience folks can not appreicate, sit through, or ever give a solid listen to.

And if you like what Popol Vuh did, you will probably find the Klaus Schulze and Lisa Garrard DVD positively amazing ... and it was done live with no rehearsal!  Which is soooooooooooooo krautrock that it is insane, and it was Lisa that wanted it that way ... she KNEW!

Quote Popol Vuh came up as a suggestion for me on emusic.com the other day.  Since then I've been practically glued to my ipod, obsessively listening to them! Tongue

I have almost all the albums, and I can not tell you which is best or better ... they are all good. I like the fact that it can go electronic, electric, folk ... meditational electronics ... and it still works ... and its spiritual edge is ... second to none ... but then, I'm not sure that most bands ever name themselves seriously ... EVER ... and like Amon Duul, Ash Ra Tempel ... the naming is as important as the music ... the rest is just frivolous stuff and that pretty much tells you how these people looked at their work ... this is not just rock ....  it's ART ... and inspired by the arts ... for the arts ... and WITH the arts ... which is something that most rock/progressive music doesn't give a poop about.

Quote The early electronic albums are fantastic.  I especially love Vuh from In den Gärten Pharaos. Clap

If you have not already done so, these albums are also very good for guided meditations ... and I actually think that they were designed to be just that regardless of what the instrument and medium it came from was ... so if you would like to expand your meditational (AND listening) value ... this is really good stuff for it.

I've often said that Klaus Schulze is music for the ADEPT for this very reason ... the majority of people can not sit through 15, 20 and 30 minute long meditations ... and learn something valuable about themselves and music ... there is this feeling in academic circles that the feeling is not what creates music!
Quote (I haven't a clue when it comes to Krautrock, so I wonder what else is out there, waiting for me to fall in love with it! LOL  Someone needs to make a 'Krautrock drop-in' thread for the purpose of indoctrinating the unwary! Wink)

The term is ... just ignore it ... but it does mean something quite extraordinary that the majority of arts and artists the world over never do, or try ... and for a couple of generations the film, theater, music and art in Germany was highly influential in a lot of circles ... specially rock music ... for in the end the only thing that "krautrock" was looking for was ... "get into the vibe of the music -- take the german hi-fi into the german sci-fi" ... and this is not something that conceptually can be done in the US, or in many places, where there is no history, or respect for the arts and their massive history ... and America with its top ten mentality is one of the worst killers of art ... to the point where they can not even respect a Frank Zappa ... and a lot of "krautrock" bands say that Frank was an influence ... which tells you how much some of these people know about music ... that "fans" don't usually know much ... they just like it ... and what inspired a lot of these kraut bands was the concept of mixing different things and expanding them ... and look at the results ... phenomenal ... but don't tell that to "proggies" ... it's not Genesis! ... it's just a bad book!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2010 at 13:53
Excelent band! the first album that i listen is In the Garden, and since i try to have all their output.

Great!

machinemusic View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2010 at 07:37

Battiato most certainly. And you might have noticed it already above, but there is a "listening session" taking place in a Church (in the UK though). Sometime soon and hopefully some of this will be documented.

You might want also to check out my recent post on Aguirre. It is terribly difficult to find original versions of that LP which includes a song not available on other reissues. Most of the versions available online do not include the original 17-minute “Vergegenwaertigung”.

http://machinemusic.org/2010/02/23/popol-vuh-herzog-aguirre-and-the-wrath-of-god/
nightlamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2010 at 18:27
As a percussionist and modular-synthtweaker I must confess a special fondness for the first two Popol Vuh albums, but some of their later soundtracks are really fantastic -- Herz aus Glas, Aguirre, Nosferatu, etc. 

Here's some modular synth and bongo ecstasy for my fellow Vuh fans! Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>