Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUmphrey's Mcgee - Saint Louis March 27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Umphrey's Mcgee - Saint Louis March 27
    Posted: March 27 2009 at 13:00
I'll be back tomorrow with a report. I missed them last summer, but got the new album and loved it.

You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2009 at 13:14
keep us posted
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2009 at 13:17
Well, since I missed my opportunity to go see them live give them my best wishes if you see them backstage.  I really think there are a lot of potential fans missing out...
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2009 at 13:19
im seeing them april 11 at nokia theater in NYC. should be an awesome show
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2009 at 13:20
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Well, since I missed my opportunity to go see them live give them my best wishes if you see them backstage.  I really think there are a lot of potential fans missing out...

i think a large percentage of people on this site would like this band, but dismiss it because of their name / jam band title / small fanbase at PA / mis-represented here under jazz-rock/fusion?

Edited by darkshade - March 27 2009 at 13:21
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2009 at 13:37
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

i think a large percentage of people on this site would like this band, but dismiss it because of their name / jam band title / small fanbase at PA / mis-represented here under jazz-rock/fusion?

I think you're pretty much on target there, there is jazz-rock/fusion, but I find them eclectic by and large.  The band's name for it's oddness probably doesn't help.  But those who dare sample the music are in for a real treat.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2009 at 13:53
The Pageant is a good venue for a show. I might catch it.
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2009 at 13:58
The Pageant is a great venue. I live 2 blocks from there. It would be cool to see you there.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2009 at 11:34
Wow, I'm awake.
I must say that was an amazing show. There is absolutely no doubt that UM is prog, and little doubt that they are one of the most talented bands playing. If you get the chance, see them.

They played two sets, after an opening band got an entire hour. They played about half of Mantis, all impeccably. They came out for the second set with extended techno!!! section that the crowd just ate up. Immediately after that, the did about half of Shine On you Crazy Diamond, again quite well.

All of the musicians are simply amazing. I highly recommend seeing them. I may put together a more formal review of the show later.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2009 at 12:01
^^^ wow that sounds awesome! i wonder if that second set opener was The Triple Wide? probably was

when you say half of SOYCD, did they only do the parts 1-5?
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2009 at 12:20
I'm terrible I don't remember where the parts separate....basically when the sax usually comes in they had a Hammond solo and had a little bit of a jam after that.

I also only have scattered live tracks from their earlier albums, so I only know the names of the Mantis songs. I know they didn't play "In the Kitchen" or "Uncle Wally" but did play "Anchor Drops."

Both parts of Cemetary Walk were played, Mantis, the closer Made to Measure. Spires was not played.

The opener was Ugly Suit which was a kind of shoegaze, post-rock thing. Their rhythm guitar player headbanged like Cliff Burton even though the music sounded like Coldplay, it was a little strange.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2009 at 12:33
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

I'm terrible I don't remember where the parts separate....basically when the sax usually comes in they had a Hammond solo and had a little bit of a jam after that.

I also only have scattered live tracks from their earlier albums, so I only know the names of the Mantis songs. I know they didn't play "In the Kitchen" or "Uncle Wally" but did play "Anchor Drops."

Both parts of Cemetary Walk were played, Mantis, the closer Made to Measure. Spires was not played.

The opener was Ugly Suit which was a kind of shoegaze, post-rock thing. Their rhythm guitar player headbanged like Cliff Burton even though the music sounded like Coldplay, it was a little strange.

yea thats where i thought theyd stop (parts 1-5)

o man i hope they play both parts of Cemetery Walk when i see them. wasnt part 2 like 10 minutes longer than on studio?
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2009 at 13:08
Cemetary Walk II was much longer for sure. Almost all of the songs became extended jams at some point, but unlike some bands, there were still huge dynamic shifts and quick changes inside the jam. I think they actually have hand signals for where they're going to go. A friend of mine who has seen them live many times says they also have a separate mike system and talk to each other about where the jam will evolve.
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2009 at 14:38
[+] [+] Fri, Mar 27th, 2009 The Pageant St. Louis, Missouri  
Set One
1348, The Bottom Half -> Walletsworth > "Jimmy Stewart" > The Bottom Half, Kabump > Cemetery Walk, Mail Package, Plunger > "Jimmy Stewart"* > Plunger
Set Two
Wappy Sprayberry > Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Preamble > Mantis > Hurt Bird Bath > Hangover, Resolution** -> Mantis
Encore
FF > Cemetery Walk II

Well they posted the setlist.....Not exactly as I remembered but there were libations involved.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2009 at 12:47
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

[+] [+] Fri, Mar 27th, 2009 The Pageant St. Louis, Missouri  

Set One
1348, The Bottom Half -> Walletsworth > "Jimmy Stewart" > The Bottom Half, Kabump > Cemetery Walk, Mail Package, Plunger > "Jimmy Stewart"* > Plunger
Set Two
Wappy Sprayberry > Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Preamble > Mantis > Hurt Bird Bath > Hangover, Resolution** -> Mantis
Encore
FF > Cemetery Walk II

Well they posted the setlist.....Not exactly as I remembered but there were libations involved.

nice, thats a good set. closed it out with CWptII. i may D/L it off UMLIVE.
 Post Reply Post Reply