Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
74 [67.89%]
35 [32.11%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2009 at 16:44
Thom Yorke for me, Steven Wilson's voice is good but it just dose not catch my attention like Thoms vocals.
And i have seen PT live and Radiohead Live also.
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2009 at 17:21
Originally posted by Swan Song Swan Song wrote:

I think Yorke is a "voice" of our era, which is more important to me than Wilson being an excellent musician and producer.
Really?

Anyway, Wilson is a million times more musical than Yorke could ever be... and those saying PT is just a mix of other bands sounds... so is Radiohead, mostly... neither is completely unique but whenever I hear one of each bands songs I immediately know it's them, they both have their own unique sounds. But as far as musicality Wilson is far superior and he keeps getting better... Yorke and Co. just keep spiraling off into nothingness making slight variations on the same record over and over again.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2009 at 17:27
Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

I think Yorke is a "voice" of our era, which is more important to me than Wilson being an excellent musician and producer.
Really?

Yes it is, to me. As I said.
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2009 at 17:32
^^ Well it just seemed weird that you would personally like a singer better for being "the voice of our era" rather than choosing the one you deem to be the "excellent musician and producer"... I would think that would have more effect on which you like better but okay.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2009 at 17:36
Well, imo the greatest bands are not always the ones with the best musicians and the best music. There are also other things that count, sometimes massively. 
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2009 at 18:15
Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

Really?

Anyway, Wilson is a million times more musical than Yorke could ever be... and those saying PT is just a mix of other bands sounds... so is Radiohead, mostly... neither is completely unique but whenever I hear one of each bands songs I immediately know it's them, they both have their own unique sounds. But as far as musicality Wilson is far superior and he keeps getting better... Yorke and Co. just keep spiraling off into nothingness making slight variations on the same record over and over again.

Really?
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
Captain Capricorn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2009 at 18:17
Yorke ...he's simply inimitable
Sckxyss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2009 at 19:57
Originally posted by Rocktopus Rocktopus wrote:

Thom Yorke. Because with Kid A and Amnesiac Radiohead made two of the most unique, daring and important albums (if not the two) in popular music of the last 20 years or so.

Porcupine Tree is ok, but they're still just another band that sound like a mix of other bands (early Radiohead, Tool, Pink Floyd...).

This.

Also, Yorke is a much, much better singer IMO. Wilson might have more compositional skill (key word, *might*), but I think Yorke is a much better songwriter and is also more innovative.

Edited by Sckxyss - April 01 2009 at 19:58
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2009 at 20:50
Robert Fripp Big smile
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2009 at 21:21
If Johnny Greenwood wasn't so integral to Radiohead, I might be able to consider this poll seriously instead of laughing to tears at how easy it is to vote for Steve Wilson.
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2009 at 21:52
Thom Yorke.
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2009 at 21:54
Originally posted by Sckxyss Sckxyss wrote:

Originally posted by Rocktopus Rocktopus wrote:

Thom Yorke. Because with Kid A and Amnesiac Radiohead made two of the most unique, daring and important albums (if not the two) in popular music of the last 20 years or so.

Porcupine Tree is ok, but they're still just another band that sound like a mix of other bands (early Radiohead, Tool, Pink Floyd...).

This.

Also, Yorke is a much, much better singer IMO. Wilson might have more compositional skill (key word, *might*), but I think Yorke is a much better songwriter and is also more innovative.

Yes, all that.

Thom Yorke is of rock's great lyricists when wants to. While I think Steven Wilson's lyrics are average at best, and sometimes truly embarrassing. Writing stuff like this is fine if you are in a emo-teen band:

Don't hate me
I'm not special like you
I'm tired and I'm so alone
Don't fight me
I know you'll never care

but I expect something a little more sophisticated from someone in his 30's:

To balance all this negativety a little: I do think Porcupine Tree are far better than most modern rock.

So: don't hate me... 
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2009 at 08:59
I find Wilson boring.  I do enjoy Yorke.  
Zitro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2009 at 12:20
Yorke is better as a singer. He's a good composer as well.

But lately, Wilson is a fantastic songwriter and his sound engineering keeps amazing me. (His 'insurgentes' solo album is as good as Porcupine Tree's best albums)

Not only that, he can play guitar and piano very well.

Edited by Zitro - April 02 2009 at 12:20
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2009 at 12:29
Originally posted by Zitro Zitro wrote:

Yorke is better as a singer. He's a good composer as well.

But lately, Wilson is a fantastic songwriter and his sound engineering keeps amazing me. (His 'insurgentes' solo album is as good as Porcupine Tree's best albums)

Not only that, he can play guitar and piano very well.

His guitar talents are questionable.
I can name members of this forum board who can play lead guitar better than Wilson.
Mr Progfreak, Epignosis and Negoba (forum user names, not actual names:P) all make Wilson look like a hack.
I find some of Wilson's solos to be cringe worthy.
The solo on the track Fear of a Blank Planet sounds like an afterthought to my mind, rather than something he sat down and figured out properly.
In fact, none of the solos on FOABP (the album I'm referring to now, not the song) are particularly good. Lifeson's solo is at least okay, but I think SW should have called in his friend Akerfeldt (phrasing, note choice, vibrato and bends to die for) instead to do the solo.
He's a great song writer, yes, a great rhythm guitarist too, but his ear for good phrasing, vibrato and just being able to write a well stuctured solo is just missing IMO.
A great solo is like a song within a song, that enhances a song.
A good solo is one that at least compliments the music well without being spectacular.
He can't even do a good solo, let alone a great one.

Edited by Petrovsk Mizinski - April 02 2009 at 12:30
trili View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2009 at 12:51
I gave it to Wilson because I think he's more "versatile". But I have to agree with PM, although I think he has good ideas, he's not a good lead guitar player. 
https://oddjohnhawkins.bandcamp.com

belatarr View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2009 at 12:52
Okay okay.  First of all Steven Wilson composes most PT stuff by himself as opposed to Thom Yorke.  Second of all Thom Yorke doesn't have but one band as opposed to Steven Wilson's five DIVERSE projects.  Thom Yorke's solo work sounds well...like Radiohead...Insurgentes is a masterpiece that requires SEVERAL LISTENS to appreciate it, and is diverse and cohesive as few albums out there sounding nothing like his bands.  Thom Yorke is an ass, Steven WIlson is humble and accesible.  Radiohead is the flag for posers all around the world, they have such a large following because it's cool to listen to them, Procupine Tree is for the select few who dig deep into the the genre's the like. 

The only thing that Thom Yorke has over Wilson is the voice other than that the man is just a frontman.  And one question to all the "progheads" out there?  Why do we say we like prog rock when we are the first ones to despise it's progression?!?! Examples:  Marillion's latest albums, Insurgentes by Steven WIlson etc... 
Ricardo Otero Jr.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2009 at 12:56
^
While I agree with most of what you say here, I would say he can and has done good solos.......but no great ones, that's for sure.  But I don't really think of him as a great guitar player anyway (though I suppose his ability to play guitar and keys was presented in comparison to Yorke, who doesn't).  I think of him as a very good song writer, arranger, and most of all producer.  His lyrics are not all that great, but sometimes they are pretty good and they always serve the purpose lyrics are supposed to serve (at least, in my mind).

Radiohead has never really done anything for me and always strike me as kind of ordinary.  Of course, I don't really think Wilson's stuff is stunningly original either (I don't even think of either as prog honestly).  But for me it's easy, because I just simply prefer Wilson by a huge margin.

trili View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2009 at 12:58

Originally posted by Captain Capricorn Captain Capricorn wrote:

Yorke ...he's simply inimitable

So is Yoko Ono. Smile

Just kiddin'.
https://oddjohnhawkins.bandcamp.com

1800iareyay View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2009 at 14:09
Originally posted by belatarr belatarr wrote:

Okay okay.  First of all Steven Wilson composes most PT stuff by himself as opposed to Thom Yorke.  Second of all Thom Yorke doesn't have but one band as opposed to Steven Wilson's five DIVERSE projects.  Thom Yorke's solo work sounds well...like Radiohead...Insurgentes is a masterpiece that requires SEVERAL LISTENS to appreciate it, and is diverse and cohesive as few albums out there sounding nothing like his bands.  Thom Yorke is an ass, Steven WIlson is humble and accesible.  Radiohead is the flag for posers all around the world, they have such a large following because it's cool to listen to them, Procupine Tree is for the select few who dig deep into the the genre's the like. 

1. Thom Yorke's lyrics are leagues ahead of Wilson's, and I like Wilson's (well, FOABP at least. Everything else is pretty terrible).
2. Making a shoegaze album doesn't make you some bold re-inventor, it means you listen to more than just space prog.
3. Thom Yorke an ass? First, that's not relevant to anything. Second, Thom Yorke isn't the guy bitching about the internet as something that ruins the drive to learn as opposed to being, you know, an avenue for instant research.
4. People like Radiohead because it's a good band. One of the nice things about the internet that Wilson disparages is that it's drained a great deal of 'hip' factor from music because fads come and go quicker than ever. Radiohead have earned their stripes. And Porcupine Tree are not an obscure band, and you trying to make them into one says more about your desire to seem hip than Radiohead's stack of "posers."

Edited by 1800iareyay - April 02 2009 at 14:53
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>