Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Books and Miscellaneous Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedClassic Rock Presents Prog magazine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 18>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2009 at 17:00
Originally posted by p0mt3 p0mt3 wrote:

Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

We still haven't been able to find that magazine here in the US, and at this point I doubt there were any copies at all shipped across the pondUnhappy. However, a few days ago I received the last issue of my Classic Rock subscription (which I probably won't renew).... A review of some Camel reissues sported the statement that Camel were "one of the pillars of the Canterbury movement"Cry.

Meh . . . so the editors of Classic Rock and their Prog spin-off seem to not have any clue what they are talking about. LOL I think I'll save my money.
Reviewers are free-lance so don't necessary reflect the knowledge base of the magazine itself. Camel were part of the Canterbury scene, if not actually being a Canterbury band, so while it is not a totally accurate comment - it is not completely clueless either. Tongue
What?
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2009 at 17:19
Still, I plan on waiting this out a little bit to see where the 'zine goes before I start investing in it.

But thank you for the clarification.
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2009 at 13:58
Originally posted by Mr ProgFreak Mr ProgFreak wrote:

I find it curious that a magazine for Classic Rock can survive on its own today. In Germany we have the Eclipsed magazine which is issued on a monthly basis and covers a number of styles including Classic Rock, Psychedelic and Prog.

Well Blender magazine is no longer in print. The Kelly Clarkson cover being there last issue. I think that nostalgia might come into play as well. If it is well written there will always be a market for it as well.
mourningknight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2009 at 02:36
Just picked up a copy tonight. I live in NY and had no problem getting it at Barnes and Noble. Matter of fact,there were about 4 copies left. Great packaging. It comes in an outer thin cardboard "sleeve" and the cover is awesome. The actual magazine cover is a shot of Roger Waters during the Wall tour I believe.
It's 130 pages and covers bands such as Asia,Marillion,Yes,Rush,Jethro Tull,ELP,Pink Floyd,Rick Wakeman,Genesis,Barclay James Harvest,Caravan,IQ,Renaissance,Pendragon ,the ladies of Prog and many others old and new. There's alot of stuff packed into this magazine and it's worth grabbing if you can find it. The CD includes tracks by newer bands such as Panic Room,The Reasoning,Astra,Blood Ceremony,Of The I and others ,all of which I haven't heard but I am curious to explore. Glad I found it!
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2009 at 14:55
Originally posted by mourningknight mourningknight wrote:

Just picked up a copy tonight. I live in NY and had no problem getting it at Barnes and Noble. Matter of fact,there were about 4 copies left. Great packaging. It comes in an outer thin cardboard "sleeve" and the cover is awesome. The actual magazine cover is a shot of Roger Waters during the Wall tour I believe.
It's 130 pages and covers bands such as Asia,Marillion,Yes,Rush,Jethro Tull,ELP,Pink Floyd,Rick Wakeman,Genesis,Barclay James Harvest,Caravan,IQ,Renaissance,Pendragon ,the ladies of Prog and many others old and new. There's alot of stuff packed into this magazine and it's worth grabbing if you can find it. The CD includes tracks by newer bands such as Panic Room,The Reasoning,Astra,Blood Ceremony,Of The I and others ,all of which I haven't heard but I am curious to explore. Glad I found it!

I think they have managed the very difficult trick of appealing to diehard traditional fans and looking to explore new stuff very well. The first issue was always going to have the big bands as headliners, but there is a lot of interesting new stuff, and, to be fair to the parent magazine, they have always been supporters of new blood in the prog world.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Stooge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2009 at 15:21
I saw the issue on the stands at Chapters today, but I wasn't ready to commit 26 dollars for the magazine.  I forget how much the last issue I purchased of Classic Rock was, but it was at least 10 dollars less than that.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2009 at 15:58
Originally posted by Rocktopus Rocktopus wrote:

I'm not gonna pay 23 euros(!!) to read about what seems to be mainly the prog I don't like.

Likewise, except I don't want to pay $16 for someone to tell me things I already know. (There were tensions between Fish and the rest of Marillion! STOP THE PRESSES!!!)
Wilcey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2009 at 17:46
I'm loving issue #2, a darn fine publication in my view. Big smile  and Im looking forward to #3 already!

Things you already know? Ermm    oh dear.
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2009 at 11:33

The interview with David Stewart was alone worthy the price......

I also noticed that the new Saga album was slaughtered in the Prog magazine, but praised in the Classic Rock magazine. I got both magazines at the same day, btw.  

crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2009 at 12:16
Originally posted by Wilcey Wilcey wrote:

I'm loving issue #2, a darn fine publication in my view. Big smile  and Im looking forward to #3 already!

Haven't seen #2 at my local Borders yet. How is the KC article?
M@X View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2009 at 19:21
Classic Rock Magazine, Prog Issue #2
Progarchives.com/Maxime Roy interview article (scanned)

High-resolution version here http://www.progarchives.com/ClassicRockMag_PAarticle.asp

Edited by M@X - May 29 2009 at 13:30
Prog On !
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2009 at 05:54
Originally posted by crimhead crimhead wrote:

Originally posted by Wilcey Wilcey wrote:

Haven't seen #2 at my local Borders yet. How is the KC article?

You'll have to wait for some time until you can get it here.... We got our issue in early May or so at Barnes & Noble.

BTW; well done, M@x!Clap
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2009 at 08:58
Freaking awesome Clap
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2009 at 16:19
OK, I bought it. :P
Bob Greece View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2009 at 04:37
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

I'm not gonna pay 23 euros(!!) to read about what seems to be mainly the prog I don't like.

Likewise, except I don't want to pay $16 for someone to tell me things I already know. (There were tensions between Fish and the rest of Marillion! STOP THE PRESSES!!!)

It's 19 Euros in Greece. I think it's great that they are putting in the effort to do a magazine about prog but 19 Euros is a lot of money for a magazine even with a CD included.
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2009 at 13:36
Originally posted by Bob Greece Bob Greece wrote:

Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

It's 19 Euros in Greece. I think it's great that they are putting in the effort to do a magazine about prog but 19 Euros is a lot of money for a magazine even with a CD included.

But "It's a FREE CD"!   LOL
inrainbows View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2009 at 15:47
^
Free but it's still expensive .
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 13:16
Originally posted by inrainbows inrainbows wrote:

^
Free but it's still expensive .

It takes a lot of money to get that glossy paper and magazine to your local book store. Wink

I think they should offer 2 versions(1 with CD and 1 without) and allow you to download the music if you wish.
paulwalker71 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2009 at 06:57
I picked up Issue 2 in my local WH Smiths.

Yes, it is a bit expensive for what it is - I didn't realise it was £7.99 until I got to the till, and perhaps would have thought twice if I had. But, that said, I'm really enjoying the read. Its packed with stuff, and the quality of the writing and the articles is high.

I could have done without the CD, and had it at, say, £5.99, but I'm not going to quibble because I suspect a lot of people who pick this up will not be people who listen to songs on this site (or others) and if it helps to attract others to some great music, then I'm cool with forking out a couple of quid extra.

To be honest, I'm a bit disappointed with some of the attitudes on this thread - people saying they won't buy it and stuff, before they've even read a single issue! The idea that prog would have had its own glossy mag in mainstream stores was totally unthinkable even a couple of years ago! I think it deserves our support. There are hints in issue 2 that it might get built up into something more frequent - bimonthly perhaps. I'd hate it if the lack of support from prog fans was the reason that didn't happen
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2009 at 19:35
I loved the magazine as it featured old and new prog from Yes, Rush and Genesis to The Reasoning. The CD waS EXCELLENT ESPECIALLY dIAGONAL, tHE trEAT AND sPACED oUT. oops Embarrassed

the article here says it all: 

I did not like all the reviews esp the review for Century of Self by .... Trail of Dead band was overblown as the album is not that good IMHO. But the reviews on Magma and I of I were great. Like hearing about Benoit with Yes and Wakemans new projects. The Rush interview was amusing with Peart. Of course its only a start and not a bad debut for a prog based mag. At last we have something worth buying on the stands. I could spend hundreds trying to find all those articles and here they were in one magazine! I was impressed. The Pink Floyd articles were all excellent and I loved the sleeve and appearance of the mag.

I would definitely recommend it over a lot of the dross on the newstand. At least it focuses on the one genre and at least it informs prog fans of the new and old. I discovered prog (the term and many bands) through a magazine so this mag may inspire others to jump on board the bandwagon. I am looking fwd to issue 2 soon as it features Mars Volta, Muse and Van der Graaf Generator among others.

So stop being so negative and enjoy the mag for what it is. An introduction to new prog and a look at the old eclectic prog. That should not be a negative thing.

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - June 16 2009 at 19:10
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 18>