Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Books and Miscellaneous Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedClassic Rock Presents Prog magazine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 18>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2009 at 09:14
Welll, I thought the second issue a bit better than the first, although the Cd downright stunk this time (the first one's second half had proved interesting)

But they can't help themselves putting a smirk when describing Magma  or any other non-English or American group. Even the Kraut-rock scene erview is done qiuickly and dealt awaz with >> as if, CR is saying: "OK, we did it, let's move on quickly to something WE like"

But losing a maximum amount of space on third ratre UK bands.seems to be a credo.

on the whole, I'm not happily surprised, but I'm not cruelly deceived .  It's about what I expected from , but then again I didn't expect much. But I'd rather pick this PROG mag , than the mother mag Classy Crock (which I've bought twice in the last year).

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Perfect Survivor View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2009 at 18:23
I think I might go "relieve" my dad of his copy!
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2009 at 19:45
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Welll, I thought the second issue a bit better than the first, although the Cd downright stunk this time (the first one's second half had proved interesting)

But they can't help themselves putting a smirk when describing Magma  or any other non-English or American group. Even the Kraut-rock scene erview is done qiuickly and dealt awaz with >> as if, CR is saying: "OK, we did it, let's move on quickly to something WE like"

But losing a maximum amount of space on third ratre UK bands.seems to be a credo.

on the whole, I'm not happily surprised, but I'm not cruelly deceived .  It's about what I expected from , but then again I didn't expect much. But I'd rather pick this PROG mag , than the mother mag Classy Crock (which I've bought twice in the last year).

What were the tracks on the issue 2 CD? I hope they didn't muck it up after such a promising start. I just ordered the issue yesterday. Was the article on VDGG great? What else was in the mag?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2009 at 17:51
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

What were the tracks on the issue 2 CD? I hope they didn't muck it up after such a promising start. I just ordered the issue yesterday. Was the article on VDGG great? What else was in the mag?

The second D is not worth it compared tothe first, which was interesting in the second half.

VdGG: just like for Magma and the Krautrock article, you'll not quench yourthirst with the "scratching the  surface" of the mag

it won't teach you much unless you're a newcommer tio the band.
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2009 at 23:47

Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

The second D is not worth it compared tothe first, which was interesting in the second half.

VdGG: just like for Magma and the Krautrock article, you'll not quench yourthirst with the "scratching the  surface" of the mag

it won't teach you much unless you're a newcommer tio the band.

thx for that Sean

Oh well, my copy has been ordered. I mean its the only prog mag I have access to in Australia. And I look fwd to seeing what else the mag can offer over the next issues.  The CD is at least introducing prog I likely would not hear otherwise. i was introduced to Diagonal, Devin Townsend and Panic Room thru mags so thats something.

Hopefully a list of CD tracks will go up on progarchives soon. I listened to Epica and After Forever recently and was really taken aback at the complexity and beauty of the music. I am always on the lookout for new prog that challenges the listener and is absolutely innovative.

I heard some Sunn O))) recently and have no idea how to comment on them - I dont even know if they are prog yet the mag put them in that category along with other non-prog.
Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2009 at 10:50
Track Listing for second CD (Prognosis 2):

1. Dream Theater - A Rite of Passage (Black Clouds..)
2. Touchstone - Strange Days (Wintercoast)
3. Also Eden - Skimming Stones (It's Kind of You to Ask)
4. Astra - The River Under (The Weirding)
5. Pictorial Wand - Face Our Fathers (Face Our Fathers)
6. Agah Bahari - Revolving Universe (The Second Sight of Mind)
7. Haken - Black Seed (Demo album)
8. The Treat - Anger Management (Audio Verite)
9. IQ - Ryker Skies (Frequency)
10. Sine Star Project - Chinese Drag Queen (Building Humans)
11. Aquaplanage - The Sands of Time (Aquaplanage)
12. Gazpacho - Tick Tock Part III (Tick Tock)

I think the CD is better than Prognosis 1.  The magazine is also an improvement.  I hope this continues to be the case.  It is shaping up to be a brilliant publication.  The next issue is out 5th August and will largely be devoted to the genre of Prog Metal.

Edited by Green Shield Stamp - July 02 2009 at 10:52
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
Takeshi Kovacs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2009 at 16:19
I think I might have caught the back end of Haken when they supported Riverside when they were in London a couple of years ago.
Open the gates of the city wide....
Check out my music taste: http://www.last.fm/user/TakeshiKovacs/
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2009 at 17:53
Originally posted by Green Shield Stamp Green Shield Stamp wrote:

I think the CD is better than Prognosis 1.  The magazine is also an improvement.  I hope this continues to be the case.  It is shaping up to be a brilliant publication.  The next issue is out 5th August and will largely be devoted to the genre of Prog Metal.

And I thought they couldn't do any worse. If this is prog, I'm not a fan of the genre anymore. 
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2009 at 22:32
Originally posted by Rocktopus Rocktopus wrote:

And I thought they couldn't do any worse. If this is prog, I'm not a fan of the genre anymore. 

I havent heard many of those bands

I wonder if they are available here on progarchives. How is the mag defining prog. They feature bands that are not really prog at all I noticed. I still love the fact that at last we have a prog magazine or you would have to put up with bands that you would never want to know about. I am looking fwd to getting the CD - hardly know any of this music on Prognosis2. Dream Theater and IQ is the exception of course.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2009 at 07:50
Originally posted by Rocktopus Rocktopus wrote:

Completely agree with Christer... At leasdt the first Cd's second half had sometracks that was outside the Neo-ProgMetal soundscapes ..... this one simply doesn't.
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
deafmoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 09:35
So far i have picked up both Issue 1 and Issue 2 and in my humble opinion, I am not impressed. The cd's have brought nothing new to my ears. The writing is mediocre at best and really the 'FRESHNESS'  FACTOR is non existent.
Rehash is always nice when it brings to light something different. Like similarly what U.S.A. magazine DRUMHEAD did with Barriemore Barlow, Tull's formidable drummer from the 70's. But Rehashing what everyone already or at least should know, like history of Pink Floyd? C'mon that's like... well...yesterday's left-overs with a garnish of parsley.
Deafmoon
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 14:30
Originally posted by deafmoon deafmoon wrote:

So far i have picked up both Issue 1 and Issue 2 and in my humble opinion, I am not impressed. The cd's have brought nothing new to my ears. The writing is mediocre at best and really the 'FRESHNESS'  FACTOR is non existent.
Rehash is always nice when it brings to light something different. Like similarly what U.S.A. magazine DRUMHEAD did with Barriemore Barlow, Tull's formidable drummer from the 70's. But Rehashing what everyone already or at least should know, like history of Pink Floyd? C'mon that's like... well...yesterday's left-overs with a garnish of parsley.

Let's not forget, though, that ANY publicity and exposure of the genre is positive, and, of course, there are many younger fans just finding and exploring prog for whom the history of Floyd IS new and exciting.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
valravennz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2009 at 21:32
Well - have finally laid eyes on this publication - the 2nd Issue - and was immediately put off by the asking price - NZ$35.00!!  I next had a quick flick through and am more than ever convinced that this publication is well over-priced. Prog does need new fans and more exposure but NOT at that price! I can buy two or three decent cd's and/or a more authorative tome on the subject of Prog Rock from Amazon for that price. No thank you - Classic Rock!!Unhappy

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2009 at 00:43
Originally posted by valravennz valravennz wrote:

Well - have finally laid eyes on this publication - the 2nd Issue - and was immediately put off by the asking price - NZ$35.00!!  I next had a quick flick through and am more than ever convinced that this publication is well over-priced. Prog does need new fans and more exposure but NOT at that price! I can buy two or three decent cd's and/or a more authorative tome on the subject of Prog Rock from Amazon for that price. No thank you - Classic Rock!!Unhappy

That has been my gripe from day one about these mags that SHOUT OUT "FREE!!!!! CD!!!!". The CD is not free if you are paying far more than $10 for the magazine. Most magazines in the US today are $4.99-6.99. They need to knock off at least $5 to make it worth buying IMHO. Why spend $5 more for it when most if not all other magazines offering a free(snicker) CD are $10.99?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2009 at 12:04
I agree that the writing could be more penetrating and enlightening.  The style at times veers dangerously close to a fanzine.  Having said that, I have read both issues so far from cover to cover and I will be making my way to WH Smiths on Wednesday to get issue 3 (even though it is very expensive).  The magazine could provide much more for less money, but it still provides a damn sight more on Prog than any other magazine in circulation in the UK.

I seem to be in a minority in liking the cover-mount CD on issue 2.  Many people are questioning whether many of the bands featured are prog.  This is kind of ironic because in another thread not too far from here, there is currently a poll of the best prog albums ever - I questioned the inclusion of 'Kind of Blue' by Miles Davis - the response was given that Miles Davis is a featured artist in Prog Archives, therefore all of his albums can be considered prog!!!!

If the straight ahead jazz albums of Miles Davis to be deemed as prog (and eligible for inclusion in the prog album poll), I am surprised that the artists on Prognosis 2 are causing such controversy.
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2009 at 12:49

^ A point of clarification: the inclusion of the whole discography of an artist does not mean that the whole discography is considered to be Prog, quite the contrary - if an album isn't Prog then nothing can ever make it so. The inclusion of Miles Davis was purely for his JR/F albums, the rest came as a by-product of his addition and they are not considered to be Prog by anyone.

What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2009 at 19:12
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by deafmoon deafmoon wrote:

Let's not forget, though, that ANY publicity and exposure of the genre is positive, and, of course, there are many younger fans just finding and exploring prog for whom the history of Floyd IS new and exciting.

ClapClapClap exactly my opinion too. The PF articles were only good for the pictures really, there was nothing new concerning the history of the band. I read the whole mag issue 1 and at the end of it just consider it to be a nice intro to prog for those who are unfamiliar with the genre and its great exposure at that. I think for more in depth reading the proghead needs to turn to more defined literature such as the great in depth novel sized guides to prog that are available. I like the mag for the pictures and the overall prog soaked content. I did learn about some bands from the CD such as Diagonal and now have their debut album. Also Mystery is a great band and Blood Ceremony were interesting and worth getting more I think. The CD is the main drawcard for me so I hope they get it right in issue 3.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2009 at 14:08
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

^ A point of clarification: the inclusion of the whole discography of an artist does not mean that the whole discography is considered to be Prog, quite the contrary - if an album isn't Prog then nothing can ever make it so. The inclusion of Miles Davis was purely for his JR/F albums, the rest came as a by-product of his addition and they are not considered to be Prog by anyone.

I agree with you, but when I questioned Negoba about the inclusion of 'Kind of Blue' he said that if an artist is listed in Prog Archives then their recorded output can be included in the top 100 prog albums.  If you look at the lists being created by contributers you will find other straight ahead jazz albums being included.

It seems crazy to me, because hypothetically you could end up with a top 100 prog albums list  made up entirely of non prog albums!!!
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2009 at 14:23

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I agree with you, but when I questioned Negoba about the inclusion of 'Kind of Blue' he said that if an artist is listed in Prog Archives then their recorded output can be included in the top 100 prog albums.  If you look at the lists being created by contributers you will find other straight ahead jazz albums being included.

It seems crazy to me, because hypothetically you could end up with a top 100 prog albums list  made up entirely of non prog albums!!!
'Tis is true - that's the problem with categorising albums by the artists subgenre and people rating based on it being just a great album and not whether the album is a great prog album. The system isn't perfect, but it will balance out in the end even if a few non-Prog albums enter the top100, they will never dominate in the way you hypothetically suggest.
What?
Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2009 at 17:14
Originally posted by valravennz valravennz wrote:

I know, I saw it in the CD store as well, at first I was like "oh sweet"
And then I saw the price...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 18>