Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Books and Miscellaneous Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedClassic Rock Presents Prog magazine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 18>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 04:43
LATEST mAG LOOKINg Awesome

Also this inside cover

Prev issue

before that

and this

and 

and

and 

VariousArtist View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 19:59
Certainly the covers look intriguing...I've only read one issue so far as explained below:

I was mentioned in issue #29 (on page 24) along with my old "neo-prog" band Janysium (London, 1980's).  I was surprised that we got the reference, and of course it was nice to see, although I was left scratching my head a bit.  Here's why...

You see, there were four members in Janysium:
- Peter Matuchniak:  guitar (me),  Simon Strevens:  drums,  Sean Lewis:  keyboards,  Martin Polley:  bass

Since then, three of the original band members are still actively doing music-related activities today:  Simon writes and records for hire in London, Sean produces classical records in Norway, and I've released three albums recently through the ProgRock Records label (solo album and Gekko Projekt this year, and Evolve IV in 2008).

Only one member bowed out of the public music scene, my good friend Martin.  And who did the magazine write about in greater detail, along with the only modern-day photo of the band members?  Yep, Martin!  But then again he always was the best looking, and that's what it's all about after all, right?  Hehe...

Ah well....
Peter

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2012 at 00:00
Heres the CD cover to latest progmag

Photo: NIce compilation to look fwd to

I will take a better photo when I get it

ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2012 at 23:48
I wanna get physical with Olivia, please help me Olivia
bucka001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2012 at 07:48
The latest issue has a gorgeous In The Court cover and nice Crimson retrospective. Sean from progressiveears is also interviewed.
jc
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2012 at 03:06
^^^^

ShockedClap
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2013 at 04:12
New Prog mag

Before that was:

Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2013 at 08:44
has S. Wilson been on the cover more often than anyone else?
rotten hound of the burnie crew
carlmarx38 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2013 at 10:19

.......nope, I think he's tied with RUSH and JETHRO TULL, with 3 apiece. (Although technically this is only
     the first time he's made the cover by himself (the other two he shared with Fripp and Akerfeldt 
      respectively).
zoviet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2013 at 20:55
PROG has their favs i.e. those who will move copies so not surprised they will bang on as often as possible abt 'em, doesnt help that SW is so damn prolific too.

Kind of the opposite of The Wire, who will ditch you after your first 2-3 albums so they can focus on the next new avant big thing..............
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2013 at 14:37
Wellthat cover of SW does not excite me as i want to see some new blood onthe cover. How about VDGG, Kraftwerk or Riverside for a change.

I stopped subscribing to the mg this week after buying the Foxtrot issue. Its too expensive and not delivering the goods anymore as far as things that are useful in it. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2013 at 14:41
Originally posted by bucka001 bucka001 wrote:

The latest issue has a gorgeous In The Court cover and nice Crimson retrospective. Sean from progressiveears is also interviewed.

How many pages do they do on King Crimson in this issue? i am tempted to buy one more issue
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2013 at 17:28

Yeah no sh*t........had to reply to this since you mentioned RIVERSIDE......I may be wrong, but to my knowledge
  (and I've only missed about 4 issues), PROG has NEVER done a single article on Riverside. I mean PROG
  magazine, as you and I both know, runs A LOT of articles on bands, even though they are often only 3-page
  or even 2-page articles.....and despite ZERO articles on Riverside, they have run no less than TWO articles of
   on LUNATIC SOUL (spinoff band of lead singer Mariusz D.) .

I'm sorry but the mag just is NOT representative of the PROG scene as a whole......What it is, to my eyes,
    is basically a "local London/UK Rag", that focuses MOSTLY on local bands that are playing gigs in and around
    the London area.....Just look at the number of articles they have run on "Local" London/UK  prog bands...
      TOUCHSTONE, REASONING, MOSTLY AUTUMN, MAGENTA,, AEON ZEN, ETC.   (the list goes on and on, because
    there are a LOT of UK bands playing gigs in/around London).

...THEN...... what they do to get a larger audience, is run a LOT of articles on YES, GENESIS, ELP, JETHRO
     TULL, RUSH, DREAM THEATER, etc..........

Case in point :    In a recent issue, in the feature entitled "THE ALBUMS THAT BUILT PROG", (which is one of the
     features that kept me interested just to see what albums they would pick).......they ran a ful FOUR-PAGE article
      on a band called "CRESSIDA", who.......I mean just how many of you have even heard of this band (NOT to
     dis them however, becaiuse I lucked out and found their debut on vinyl from a local dealer, and it's actually a
        great band....but COME ON,a band that "BUILT PROG"??)......then I did a little research, and figured it out....
     The newly "reformed CRESSIDA" had played a "showcase gig" in......WHERE ?   of course right in a nice club 
       in the London area !)

I'll quit here.....but here's a question for those of you who haven't missed an issue......"Italian Prog" ?

"Pain of Salvation" ? (only one article to my knowledge, and a pitiful 3-pAGE RUN)....
                  "Ayreon" ? (excluding one tiny article that focused only on Arjen's last STAR ONE album)
                  "Maudlin of the Well" ? (ZILCH)
                  "Phideaux" ?    (ZILCH)

Amemrican Prog Festivals ?  (They're complete ignorance of last year's LAST-EVER Near-Fest,
                                                                                     for INSTANCE)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2013 at 20:32
Originally posted by carlmarx38 carlmarx38 wrote:

Yeah no sh*t........had to reply to this since you mentioned RIVERSIDE......I may be wrong, but to my knowledge
  (and I've only missed about 4 issues), PROG has NEVER done a single article on Riverside. I mean PROG
  magazine, as you and I both know, runs A LOT of articles on bands, even though they are often only 3-page
  or even 2-page articles.....and despite ZERO articles on Riverside, they have run no less than TWO articles of
   on LUNATIC SOUL (spinoff band of lead singer Mariusz D.) .

I'm sorry but the mag just is NOT representative of the PROG scene as a whole......What it is, to my eyes,
    is basically a "local London/UK Rag", that focuses MOSTLY on local bands that are playing gigs in and around
    the London area.....Just look at the number of articles they have run on "Local" London/UK  prog bands...
      TOUCHSTONE, REASONING, MOSTLY AUTUMN, MAGENTA,, AEON ZEN, ETC.   (the list goes on and on, because
    there are a LOT of UK bands playing gigs in/around London).

...THEN...... what they do to get a larger audience, is run a LOT of articles on YES, GENESIS, ELP, JETHRO
     TULL, RUSH, DREAM THEATER, etc..........

Case in point :    In a recent issue, in the feature entitled "THE ALBUMS THAT BUILT PROG", (which is one of the
     features that kept me interested just to see what albums they would pick).......they ran a ful FOUR-PAGE article
      on a band called "CRESSIDA", who.......I mean just how many of you have even heard of this band (NOT to
     dis them however, becaiuse I lucked out and found their debut on vinyl from a local dealer, and it's actually a
        great band....but COME ON,a band that "BUILT PROG"??)......then I did a little research, and figured it out....
     The newly "reformed CRESSIDA" had played a "showcase gig" in......WHERE ?   of course right in a nice club 
       in the London area !)

I'll quit here.....but here's a question for those of you who haven't missed an issue......"Italian Prog" ?

"Pain of Salvation" ? (only one article to my knowledge, and a pitiful 3-pAGE RUN)....
                  "Ayreon" ? (excluding one tiny article that focused only on Arjen's last STAR ONE album)
                  "Maudlin of the Well" ? (ZILCH)
                  "Phideaux" ?    (ZILCH)

Amemrican Prog Festivals ?  (They're complete ignorance of last year's LAST-EVER Near-Fest,
                                                                                     for INSTANCE)

yeah I hear you. I have not missed an issue and cancelled the subscription yesterday after buying one last issue with Foxtrot all over the cover. This was a big decision for me as I have loved the mag since its conception and I have put up with a lot of cruddy issues among the gems. I have enjoyed the reviews especially and the articles on bands I had not been initially interested in.

When I saw Cressida as an album that built prog I was puzzled as i thought I knew all the quintessential nbands. Then I read your comments and it made sense as just another plug for a tour. I noticed a lot of bands in the mag are simply bands that are touring the UK at the time and especially the songs on the CD are from the same lable or UK labels that the mag sponsors. So therefore it is not really a PROG mag that covers the genre but more a mag that covrs the bands that are touring or need more exposure. It works as a mag that compliments and exposes bands that want that so its not a bad thing, its just that i am sick of seeing Steve Wilsons mug on this along with those Goth bands like that demonic one where the band members cover themselves in blood, and of course the articles on Genesis are usually either Hackett or Gabriel spouting off about the glory days. 

The top 50 albums chosen were a bit of a joke, when you compare them to what the prog community are generally listening to. The covers are always displaying popular prog rather than the widespread prog. After the Genesis article there is immediately an ad for their box set, and these plugs occur often, an article designed to sell us the latest CD package. Bands are getting exposure but PROG misses out the German scene, the Italian scene, and Australia apart from the very odd and occasional article but it is never much; it is all UK focussed.

Take the token article of RPI in one of the earlier mags that was jammed in, along with a Krautrock article, and I remember seeing a few reviews of Riverside but nothing special again. Jethro Tull is often in it as are Rush, Yes and Genesis, popular prog, but they forget many of the legends of Prog and instead we get another article on modern prog like Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Marillion or Coheed and Cambria.

They also put in albums from And You Will Know Them by the Trail of Dead... - I bought one Cd they hailed as a masterpiece and had to take it back it to the shop I was so disheartened. To appease the shop owner I had to buy 2 other CDs cos he wouldnt give my money back. That was the first time I began to question the editors taste in what was PROG. There is a lot in the mag that is not Prog at all! 

Okay thats the bad now the good

The CDs have introduced me to some incredible bands such as Diagonal and Motorpsycho among others.  Ihave enjoyed getting each issue and pouring thru its pages and reading about whats happening in the UK scene. I liked the album artwork sections that are now no longer in it. I like Wakemans articles, I like the letters section tho none of mine were published. I liked the cover art, always innovative. The booklets on Prog Rock  and Prog Rock 2 CDs were interesting. There are some great articles ocasionally worth looking at, and the interviews are fresh and informative most of the time. The pictures chosen are usually unique and I always love reading about classic albums and how the editors feel about the reissues. Even the ads hold interest as I can see easily whats the latest out there at the moment.

I will miss it but of course if an issue stands out I will still get that, just not every issue from now on.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2013 at 16:42

When I saw Cressida as an album that built prog I was puzzled as i thought I knew all the quintessential nbands. Then I read your comments and it made sense as just another plug for a tour.

If you're able to find it, though the CRESSIDA debut album is really good......(reminds me a lot of CAMEL)

I noticed a lot of bands in the mag are simply bands that are touring the UK at the time and especially the songs on the CD are from the same lable or UK labels that the mag sponsors.

Yeah.....like K-SCOPE for instance.....check out last year's CRITIC'S POLL issue and check out how many of
     the Critic's Picks albums were from K-SCOPE  (Porcupine Tree, Pineapple Thief, North Atlantic Oscillation,
           Anathema, among others !!!)   Oh and BTW, I don't know about this year's Critic's Picks but last year
        what's up with ASIA-OMEGA in the TOP 10 "best Prog albums of the year ?)  (AND I'M AN ASIA FAN)

i am sick of seeing Steve Wilsons mug on this along with those Goth bands like that demonic one

"DEVIL'S BLOOD" !!!   (I actually think Jerry Ewing is a "reformed Satanist" !)

and of course the articles on Genesis are usually either Hackett or Gabriel spouting off about the glory days. 

Well I;m a big Hackett fan, and grateful for coverage of his solo stuff (although he's putting out
     so many albums lately I can't keep up !!......I'm still working on "To Watch the Storms" and "Wild Orchids " !)

Bands are getting exposure but PROG misses out the German scene, the Italian scene, and Australia apart from the very odd and occasional article but it is never much; 

They did run a short thing on the Italian Scene WAY back in issue 6 or something.....but they hardly even
    mentioned BANCO DEL MUTUO SOCCORSO, among others

Okay thats the bad now the good

The CDs have introduced me to some incredible bands such as Diagonal and Motorpsycho among others.

Agreed......I was a total neophyte, PROG magazine introduced me to CAMEL, CARAVAN, GONG, MAGMA
..... even  CAMEL !!!  (I'm in the US BTW...none of these Classic bands were popular here)

I like Wakemans articles,

Never read them myself........BUT I DID BUY THE SPECIAL MAG-PAK OF THE NEW "JOURNEY TO THE
     CENTER OF THE EARTH" (WHICH I HAVE YET TO LISTEN TO !!)

I've saved all the PROGNOSIS CD'S .........I have 26.....going back to #3 (used to have #2 which was the first issue
     I bought...but lost it !!!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2013 at 17:55
^^^ I also reviewed most o the PROG sampler CDs and have to review the rest later. They are great for throwing in the car and just driving along not knowing whats coming next. I reckon the mag could do with a real revamp and look at bands that have not been covered -anyway it is certainly one of the best music mags out there. Just expensive and a bit hit and miss unfortunately. 
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2013 at 09:09
I think they could do better by dropping the CD, dropping the cover price, dropping the "40 years since blah-blah-blah" articles, and expanding the international coverage.  I think no band should be featured more than once in any year, apart from reviews when they release something or play a gig.  And they should do more than just cover this-or-that artist.  What about articles on this-or-that instrument or this-or-that subgenre or this-or-that country (they used to have a short feature on different countries but it was only two pages long, and always European countries) 

elbownut View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2013 at 12:16

I have bought a few copies if there is something I am particulalry interested in

It is still quite expensive as magazines go but i guess the circulation will not be huge, so the price has to make it worthwhile to produce.

I agree with the comments about it being UK focused and content seems influenced by some key "sponsors", however I kinda feel this is to be expected to a large extent.

Prog is hardly widely known thesedays so it needs to appeal to a particular type of audience and reflect demographics etc.

As a UK based product, it is not wrong in my opinion to include predominanalty home grown bands ( many of which will be playing live around the country )

That is not too say it should cram this down our throats in every edition

Yes, they should open it up to reflect more non-UK prog but I guess it will always cater more for its home market ( as would probably be the case in other countries did their own version ? )

Overall I would rather a slightly biased offer than no offer at all !!!

"Music was my first love and it will be my last" - John Miles "Music"
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 16:25
I've decided not to get this issue, making it the second that I've missed (the first was a couple of years ago)

Does anyone have anything good to say about it?

Or should we all hold our breaths for the 40th anniversary of Dark Side Of The Moon? LOL
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 16:51

I agree with the comments about it being UK focused and content seems influenced by some key "sponsors", however I kinda feel this is to be expected to a large extent.

Yeah, I've been wondering about that too....Ian Anderson got to be the
 "guest editor" awhile back....(as well as Jethro Tull being on the cover
  at least 3 times...and Wakeman obviously has got some kind of "push"
  in order to get a whole issue and "Fanpack" dedicated to his latest
version of JTTCOTE......the big question is, how much of PROG's expenses are "paid for" by these bands. Do you think bands "Buy space" in the mag, just like an advertisers paying for Ad space ? There's a band called "Syzygy" who ran serveral ads a year or so back...."ads"  which looked remarkably like "feature articles" (with 'fine print' indicating that "this is an Advertisement").....

..Am I totally off base here, or has the the line between "advertisement" and "article" gotten kind of blurred in this magazine ?   If so, than why am I shelling out $16 a month for something that is half advertising ?.......I mean did the bulk of "critics" for this magazine REALLY think ASIA-OMEGA was one of the 10 best "prog"
releases of the year, or did the Record Company pay for that "Plug" ?

Prog is hardly widely known thesedays so it needs to appeal to a particular type of audience and reflect demographics etc.

As a UK based product, it is not wrong in my opinion to include predominanalty home grown bands ( many of which will be playing live around the country )

That is not too say it should cram this down our throats in every edition

Yes, they should open it up to reflect more non-UK prog but I guess it will always cater more for its home market ( as would probably be the case in other countries did their own version ? )

Overall I would rather a slightly biased offer than no offer at all !!!

[/QUOTE]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 18>