Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Books and Miscellaneous Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedClassic Rock Presents Prog magazine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 18>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Classic Rock Presents Prog magazine
    Posted: April 03 2009 at 05:36
Hello folks,

Anyone (especially in the UK) picked up the first issue of Classic Rock's new quarterly prog magazine?

I was genuinely impressed; a few new-magazine teething problems (a few editing slipups, and slightly too many archival interviews - although those were pretty interesting and hadn't been released fully, at least), but otherwise a great product, with a nice and genuinely diverse disc of tracks from up and coming bands and an honest effort to provide balanced coverage of older bands and newer acts. I especially liked the 1-page profiles of new bands.

The big downside is that it's a bit costly, although I suppose that might just down to the economics of producing such a thing; I certainly didn't think I wasted my money. The focus is definitely on symphonic and neo-prog, but there's the odd mention of other genres - there's a nice piece about Caravan and a glowing review of the Magma box set, for example.

Seeing a full-page advert for the latest Pendragon album on the back cover of a glossy newsstand magazine is something I never expected to see.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2009 at 06:31
^It was a good mag, and great to find that someone is at last taking prog seriously in the press, but my only problem with it is the album reviews, they gave everything a glowing review, even albums that are being widely panned by the fans like the new Pure Reason Revolution.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2009 at 07:00
I'm not gonna pay 23 euros(!!) to read about what seems to be mainly the prog I don't like.

Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2009 at 07:01
I think the reviews were, like you say, sometimes over-generous, although they did generally do a good job of giving you an idea of what things sounded like - for example, even though they were positive about the new Pure Reason Revolution, at the same time I did get a clear idea of how their sound has changed from the review, which is probably more important to me than whether an individual reviewer liked it or not. (Personally, I'm interested in picking it up, but then I generally like electro stuff.)
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2009 at 08:30
you would figure issue 1 would deal with the old warhorses mixed with some mention of newer groups. For that I really wasn't interested in getting it.. not that we even had the chance over here hahah.  Let's see what they do with future issues...  they can't write about the same groups every issue.  Curious to see if they focus on prog from outside the 'empire'. That is what this site is for many..an eyeopener that great prog came from places other than England... and in fact still comes.   The shear amount of prog still coming out of Italy for example is staggering.

Edited by micky - April 03 2009 at 08:31
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2009 at 09:22
I thought it was genuinely very good, if, as has been said, a little pricey. Informative, and especially not falling into the trap of just concentrating on the old classics.

Good to see a serious mainstream prog mag - long may it continue.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2009 at 09:22
Well, in the first issue they did cover a fair number of Scandanavian bands, if I'm remembering right, so they're definitely open to covering the international scene. (Really, if they want to avoid falling into the trap of covering the same bands over and over again in redundant detail, they're going to need to be.)
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2009 at 09:29
I might be interested in something like this, even though this site really does provide all the prog news you might want...I'll wait and hear what others have to say about future issues.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2009 at 09:34
Originally posted by Warthur Warthur wrote:

Well, in the first issue they did cover a fair number of Scandanavian bands, if I'm remembering right, so they're definitely open to covering the international scene. (Really, if they want to avoid falling into the trap of covering the same bands over and over again in redundant detail, they're going to need to be.)

exactly... which is why I'll sit on fence and see where they go with it and if they expand past Anglo-centric prog I'll definitely want to check it out.   The classic English stuff has been covered from every angle known to man and then some....and to be honest...   CR has spotlighted many modern English groups and to say that they were anything to write home about would be ..well...  too polite.  About a year ago CR did a CD of like 20 modern Empire prog groups.. and I swear...  only 2 or 3 of them sounding remotely interesting.  Granted this is just personal opinion or perception what have you...  but it is what it is hahha
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2009 at 09:46
Unfortunately, it seems the magazine is already sold-out in the UK, and so far I've had no luck in finding it anywhere here in the US (have been looking for it at Books-A-Million, Borders and Barnes & Noble). We'll just have to wait and see, I suppose... Hopefully they'll reprint Issue 1, and get it sent across the pond!
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2009 at 09:47
A review of the Magma box set was promising; if there's a similar review of the Henry Cow box, I might be sold.  Wink
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2009 at 10:11
I find it curious that a magazine for Classic Rock can survive on its own today. In Germany we have the Eclipsed magazine which is issued on a monthly basis and covers a number of styles including Classic Rock, Psychedelic and Prog.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2009 at 11:27
Hi,

If we're going to nail use the term and make yet another attempt to make sure that most of our favorite music gets some kind of press and notice ... I'm all for that really.

In the late 80's I was a part of the prog scene in the old Fido and various other boards. The results of many of those postings and sharing of information, coupled with several reviews I also shared with various magazines ... I prefer to think that it helped establish us some ...

Unffortunately .,.. not enough ... most of the magazines and articles were, in my book ... all over the place and eventually, I think it hurt us ... some folks, and distributing systems, STILL, are way too exclusive and eccentric ... and that hurts all of us.

I, personally, do not have anything against Eurock, Doug Larson, Wayside, Musea ... and you and I know that we can get different things from them ... but in the end, it will hurt ... some of the stuff that Eurock carries is so esoteric and out there, that I really doubt that I would spend money on it ... and that will not help define anything for us all.

But ... one thing is not necessary anymore ... another kissypoo on Genesis or King Crimson or ELP ... I can handle an intelligent write up and throughtful review ... specially if it is done "in retrospect" compared to what is available today ... anything else is just blotter and comes off like spam and more fan'atic stuff that we get in here ... as an example.

Like many magazines it is always weird when you see the reviews ... they are all condensed to x-number of words ... and to be honest with you, if the magazine is not "progressive enough" to expand in a similar context the music we love with our words and reviews ... I say ... trash it ... it's just another top ten taking advantage of a big name band ... like Mojo has been doing.

Be progressive. Be experimental ... do something that will make a difference!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2009 at 11:43
^ as with all magazines - when they see where their advertising is coming from the editorials and articles will follow suit. Other UK based underground music mags (eg Terrorizer and Zero Tolerance) have taken that route and rarely cover the "local" scene anymore. With issue one of this mag it was inevitable they would cover known ground - however I think they managed a good balance of New vs Old considering they probably didn't know what their target readership will be like.

(The PRR rreview was by Ms Scharf - I would be as bold as tosay that Prog is not really her forté, she is more of an expert in Gothic Rock, EBM and Industrial, so a good review for AVO was not a complete surprise - having said that, I like the album too and more or less agree with what she wrote (apart from it being "Prog that conquers all" LOL))
What?
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2009 at 13:19
Did anybody get a track listing of what was on the CD?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2009 at 13:24
Originally posted by StyLaZyn StyLaZyn wrote:

What?
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2009 at 13:26
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by StyLaZyn StyLaZyn wrote:

TY!
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2009 at 14:44
We still haven't been able to find that magazine here in the US, and at this point I doubt there were any copies at all shipped across the pondUnhappy. However, a few days ago I received the last issue of my Classic Rock subscription (which I probably won't renew).... A review of some Camel reissues sported the statement that Camel were "one of the pillars of the Canterbury movement"Cry.
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2009 at 12:48
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Unfortunately, it seems the magazine is already sold-out in the UK, and so far I've had no luck in finding it anywhere here in the US (have been looking for it at Books-A-Million, Borders and Barnes & Noble). We'll just have to wait and see, I suppose... Hopefully they'll reprint Issue 1, and get it sent across the pond!

Isn't its success (i.e. sold out) a good thing ? Wink
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2009 at 16:18
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

We still haven't been able to find that magazine here in the US, and at this point I doubt there were any copies at all shipped across the pondUnhappy. However, a few days ago I received the last issue of my Classic Rock subscription (which I probably won't renew).... A review of some Camel reissues sported the statement that Camel were "one of the pillars of the Canterbury movement"Cry.

Meh . . . so the editors of Classic Rock and their Prog spin-off seem to not have any clue what they are talking about. LOL I think I'll save my money.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 18>