Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew OSI disc

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New OSI disc
    Posted: April 03 2009 at 08:30
OSI now has a sampler on their website of the new album, and youtube has some clips, and I'm skeptical.

What I've heard is great when Matheos' guitar is playing a big role. When he's out, it's just not the same.....and the Akerfeldt spot is weaker than I expected.

And finally, Moore discovered the "No Quarter" warble and used it in, let us say, abundance.

I'll probably still buy it when it comes out, and I hope it's better when I hear all of the full songs.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2009 at 10:40
I have listened to a promo copy of the whole album and I like it quite a bit.I was disappointed with Free,which I thought was a definite step down from the first album.Gavin Harrison is a nice change of pace from Portnoy,and Matheos really shines on the album.My only problem with it is Moore's vocals,which I have never really liked.I agree with you about Akerfeldt's vocals on Stockholm,they are a lot more restrained than I expected.

Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2009 at 11:18
That's reassuring. I've always loved Matheos' contributions to OSI, but thought that there just isn't enough of him.

Stockholm is growing on me.

BTW, I love Moore's key playing and I think he's a great background vocalist. He just doesn't have enough range to lead. Also, he is just a droopy dog when he writes lyrics.

What I've heard, Harrison's drumming is indeed great.

Look forward to hearing the whole thing.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2009 at 11:58
I can't wait for this album. I hope it goes down the same more electronic path that Free did with regards to the debut.

I can understand that Kevin Moore's vocals aren't anything special judged on their own, but I say they fit the music perfectly. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Red Porschetta View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 11:15
I cant wait to hear Gavin on this album. Best new drummer to come along lately.
There's no bread, or lemony cake
 Post Reply Post Reply