Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed...a message from Umphrey's McGee

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2009 at 13:41
Enjoy your show man....I anticipate a great time.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
McL2016 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2009 at 12:26
pretty jealous of you, darkshade

Nokia Theatre
New York, NY

SET 2 Jazz Odyssey > Made to Measure > Preamble > Mantis, Cemetery Walk, Cemetery Walk II, Turn & Run > "Jimmy Stewart" > Turn & Run > Spires, Prophecy Now > Red Tape > 1348

ENCORE Comfortably Numb

pretty cool...they performed Mantis, in sequence (with improv), 2nd set in NYC last night.

(for the uninitiated, Jazz Odyssey opening a set is a piece of improv/short composition...in last night's case it was a repeated JO that has opened 2 other shows...I'm personally hoping it develops into a song. here's an mp3 of an audience recording of a performance of this JO: http://www.archive.org/download/um2009-03-04.ccm4/um2009-03-04d1t01_vbr.mp3
)
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2009 at 12:30
WHAT? they played the entire Mantis album last night? now i have no idea nwhat to expect tonight!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 14:01
pssst... for fans of the group...  what makes this group J-R/F.Which albums?   Listening to an album now... and this seems textbook Xover prog.  Or whatever.. .but this sounds nothing like J-R in my opinion... and make it two.. Raff's as well.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 14:20
Jazz-Rock Fusion does not seem right to me either and in fact I opened a thread a few months back for moving them to eclectic. The problem is that no one seems to know where to put them. The new one, Mantis is by far the most prog-gy and their live shows (for which they're known) venture more into fusion jamming. I think they are a good eclectic candidate, although crossover isn't totally out of line either.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 14:24
anywhere sort of RIO seems better than JR/F.. especially if Mantis is the most proggy???? whoa...I thought it might have been a step back.. proggy wise. 

I'll set the wheels in motion for this... thanks Jay Clap
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 14:25
When we started listening to the album, I immediately realised it was not JR/F, but much closer to Crossover. Unfortunately, neither of us is an expert on the band, so - until we have access to some more material - we will have to rely on other people's opinion.

BTW, Jay, I finally managed to find your thread (where I had posted), and also Darkshade's thread on the same subject. Hopefully they'll be moved as soon as possible, because I get this idea they are seriously misplaced...
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 14:30
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

pssst... for fans of the group...  what makes this group J-R/F.Which albums?   Listening to an album now... and this seems textbook Xover prog.  Or whatever.. .but this sounds nothing like J-R in my opinion... and make it two.. Raff's as well.

i have stated many times these guys should be moved to eclectic.

Local Band Does O.K. is their only studio album that showcases their jazzy side a lot. Anchor Drops does as well, but not as much. The last 3 studio albums of theirs has focused more on composition and are much "proggier", especially the most recent "Mantis"

they also have many "live-only" songs, one being Wizard Burial Ground, which is straight-up THRASH METAL! and Bridgeless, which is really proggy in a DT-kind of way. Or Much Obliged which is jazz-funk, with a little bit of TFK-feel during the verses.

Even their live performances are more on the eclectic side (though they do get pretty jazzy too.) They're too diverse to be just jazz-rock. Listen or download the show i went to Saturday night in NYC and you'll see (or hear) what i mean.

set 1
http://www.archive.org/details/4-11-2009UmphreysMcgee-NokiaTheatreNewYorkNy

set 2
http://www.archive.org/details/4-11-2009UmphreysMcgee-Set2-NokiaTheatreNewYorkNykm40-128kbps

i dont think they would even consider themselves jazz-rock. There's too many rock riffs, progressive passages, VOCALS, non-jazz compositions, etc.

i say they should be moved to ECLECTIC PROG.

Edited by darkshade - April 13 2009 at 14:34
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 14:37
cool.. thanks man Clap..  just wanted to make sure there wasn't something that we haven't heard that explains where they are at.  
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 14:41
They usually do one cover a night: Floyd and Rush are common but Metallica, King Crimson, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, Michael Jackson, etc.....

Heavy Prog would actually be more appropriate than J/F as Mars Volta are over there and have some similar sensibilities.

Xover, Heavy, Eclectic (my 1st choice) seem to be candidates.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 14:41

cool.. thanks man Clap..  just wanted to make sure there wasn't something that we haven't heard that explains where they are at.  

no problem. i was going to post a review of Saturday night's show, and go off on a similar rant on how this band should be moved. But if the powers that be are going to take some action, then i wont do that.

i also dont feel like reviewing the show in general lol. it would just be me praising the band and the show, especially since ive never seen them live. so i just posted the link so everyone can check it out. BTW the light show of theirs was sick!
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 14:43
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

They usually do one cover a night: Floyd and Rush are common but Metallica, King Crimson, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, Michael Jackson, etc.....

Heavy Prog would actually be more appropriate than J/F as Mars Volta are over there and have some similar sensibilities.

Xover, Heavy, Eclectic (my 1st choice) seem to be candidates.

i could see Heavy Prog, but they have a lot of 'softer' moments, so idk... Xover i dont think completely defines them, since their sound is kind of their own AND they cover many diverse styles, plus all their albums sound different. I still think Eclectic is the way to go.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 14:50
as soon as J-R/F clears me to move it and I've PM'd them about it already..and I'm sure they will... it will go to Xover.  From there.. if eclectic or even heavy  wants them they can have them.  If not... it still sits in a much better spot than it is now.  Clap
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 14:59

as soon as J-R/F clears me to move it and I've PM'd them about it already..and I'm sure they will... it will go to Xover.  From there.. if eclectic or even heavy  wants them they can have them.  If not... it still sits in a much better spot than it is now.  Clap

Agreed Thumbs Up
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 15:12
approved to be moved from J-R/F... and moved to Xover.  
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 15:13
thanks guys for the info on the group... and if eclectic wants them.. of course they can have them. For now they are at least in a better place. 
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 15:22

thanks guys for the info on the group... and if eclectic wants them.. of course they can have them. For now they are at least in a better place. 

nice! now i think their bio needs an update, as Anchor Drops is the most recent album on there. That's 4 albums ago lol. I'll do it if no one else wants to
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 15:25
hahahha.. up to an hour ago.. I had never heard them....   PM it to me and I'll update it

btw.. lost in the fuss...  Mantis was a real good album Thumbs Up
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 15:26
Even if you considered them Proto-related non-prog music, I highly suggest seeing them live as it's a phenomenal experience for anyone who likes live music. As darkshade said, their lights are great, they are a lot of fun, and the crowd is always into it. It certainly not sit in your cushioned chair and take notes type music but if you like rock, go!
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 15:28
Good music is good music, no matter how you want to label it... I am very happy to have got the album today, because my purchase seems to have effected this long-awaited move - and also because it is a very rewarding listen indeedWink!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>