Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed...a message from Umphrey's McGee

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 15:47
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

hahahha.. up to an hour ago.. I had never heard them....   PM it to me and I'll update it

btw.. lost in the fuss...  Mantis was a real good album Thumbs Up

ok. i have to work on a bio though. should i just update it where the old one left off, or a completely new one? either way ill have to work on it, and when im done ill PM it to you

BTW at the Friday night show at Nokia Theater they performed the entire Mantis album in its entirety, with a 9+ minute Cemetery Walk II and a 12+ minute Turn & Run!!!

Edited by darkshade - April 13 2009 at 15:49
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 15:51
just checked their artist page...  no idea who the author of the original bio is...  I'd say rewrite it if you think you can do a better one if you know what I mean. If one of our collabs would have done it... I would have asked them first.... but in this case... a better bio is a better bio.  Go for it... whichever you prefer doing and PM it to me Thumbs Up
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 15:58
I think they were added when the site was still in its infancy, by some occasional collaborator (the name at the bottom of the page didn't ring any bells). Therefore, it is OK to edit the bio... When a bio is signed by someone who is still active on PA, we usually ask them permission to edit it, or leave things alone.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 15:58

just checked their artist page...  no idea who the author of the original bio is...  I'd say rewrite it if you think you can do a better one if you know what I mean. If one of our collabs would have done it... I would have asked them first.... but in this case... a better bio is a better bio.  Go for it... whichever you prefer doing and PM it to me Thumbs Up

ok cool. it may not be ready till tomorrow or so, but ill let you know asap
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 16:06
cool...and I've beeped eclectic to consider them .. not sure if this group has come to them before for considering a move.. probably not since there is no way they would have left it in J-R/F .... but if it hasn't... it has now hahha.  
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Doomcifer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 16:11
I'm happy to see them finally moved.  IMO, they are more-so Eclectic, but Xover does just as well. Clap
Greater is the man who conquers himself, than he who conquers a hundred times a hundred on the battlefield.
Doomcifer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 16:11
Also, thanks for the live uploads!
Greater is the man who conquers himself, than he who conquers a hundred times a hundred on the battlefield.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 16:15
Originally posted by Doomcifer Doomcifer wrote:

Also, thanks for the live uploads!

no problem. you can get many more shows by Umphrey's there, as well as shows by many other bands
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 16:25

hahahha.. up to an hour ago.. I had never heard them....   PM it to me and I'll update it

o yea, definitely get Local Band Does OK and Anchor Drops if you already have Mantis. At that point you could either check out their live albums/shows or get the rest of the studio stuff. whatever works for you. A worthy band to check out with many rewards as you dig deeper and deeper
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 20:36
Local Band was my number two, loved it. Then got their two current live DVDs, excellent.  Dropped by the local brick and mortar store for Anchor Drops and Safety In Numbers.  I have yet to be disappointed.  Big smile

Edited by Slartibartfast - April 13 2009 at 20:36
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

mr.cub View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 21:25
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

ok. i have to work on a bio though. should i just update it where the old one left off, or a completely new one? either way ill have to work on it, and when im done ill PM it to you

BTW at the Friday night show at Nokia Theater they performed the entire Mantis album in its entirety, with a 9+ minute Cemetery Walk II and a 12+ minute Turn & Run!!!

Lucky...Tongue

They had an amazing Cemetary walk and Turn & Run at my show but that would have been awesome to hear the entire album...I would have like to have heard their take on Mantis

Edited by mr.cub - April 13 2009 at 21:26

darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 23:55
Originally posted by mr.cub mr.cub wrote:

Lucky...Tongue i didnt see them on Friday, only Saturday. But hearing them play the whole album live is phenomenal, adds a new dimension to the album. I got my copies from UMlive.net, released by the band themselves.

They had an amazing Cemetary walk and Turn & Run at my show but that would have been awesome to hear the entire album...I would have like to have heard their take on Mantis i saw them play Mantis and 1348 which was really good. The Triple Wide was sandwhiched right in the middle of Mantis, it was pretty awesome
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 23:57
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Local Band was my number two, loved it. Then got their two current live DVDs, excellent.  Dropped by the local brick and mortar store for Anchor Drops and Safety In Numbers.  I have yet to be disappointed.  Big smile

and you wont be with The Bottom Half
mr.cub View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2009 at 19:16

Originally posted by mr.cub mr.cub wrote:

Lucky...Tongue i didnt see them on Friday, only Saturday. But hearing them play the whole album live is phenomenal, adds a new dimension to the album. I got my copies from UMlive.net, released by the band themselves.

They had an amazing Cemetary walk and Turn & Run at my show but that would have been awesome to hear the entire album...I would have like to have heard their take on Mantis i saw them play Mantis and 1348 which was really good. The Triple Wide was sandwhiched right in the middle of Mantis, it was pretty awesome

Yeah I'm hoping to get a copy of my show from a friend...at the show I went to, they bookended the 2nd set with Divisions and I believe they may have taken one break in that set, everything else just transitioning into the next. The first set at my show was unbelievable in its intensity and muscianship

McL2016 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2009 at 09:10
a couple of things.

this download is only around through Friday, so if you haven't grabbed it, now is the time!

if anyone is interested in reviewing Jimmy Stewart 2007 for the site...I'll send you a digital copy...PM me for details.

here's some pictures from Nokia of Jake using a new Becker guitar.  It's purty....and the tone on that thing just screams!

darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2009 at 11:53
^^^ nice pics!
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2009 at 12:19
Don't know why but the link to a review of my first time experience with UM in 2006 did not link correctly here is the text of my note:

So I'm up in Sonoma County, California to visit my daughter and taste some of the fine wine growing up there and I notice in Petaluma Umphrey’s McGee is playing.  So me and the GF head down to Petaluma Sunday night to hear them at The Mystic Theater.  My familiarity of them is Anchor Drops and a one cursory listen to a pod cast of one show.

You have to understand arriving in down town Petaluma I thought  I walked back to the early 70’s.  I was expecting maybe some nod to the hippy culture but not as much as I saw.  Some guys with beards and hair grayer than the rain soaked clouds were hanging out in front.  I saw a guy with a New Riders of the Purple Sage t-shirt. Girls in flip flops and jeans with long styled hair and glassy eyes were heading through the door.  I thought this going to suck.  If this is the kind of people who listen to them then this is going to be a Grateful Dead clone.  We get inside and decide to sit in the balcony not knowing what might be happening on the floor.  Altogether the crowd was 350-400 people in a place that maxs at 500.  It is a converted movie theater just so you know the layout.  Good sound system and decent size stage although I think it  would find it difficult if these guys toured with someone else.  The size of their set up is large.  They have two Guitarists and a Bassist, Drummer, Percussionist (who might of well been a drummer he just needed a bass drum) and a Keyboard player who had a full set up of a Hammond and several months and other assorted keyboards.

Right before (30 minutes or so) the band came on there seemed to be a waft of poignant smoke arising from all over the theater.  So much so the smoke was rising into the lights above the stage and creating a bit of a fog show.  My naïve GF who didn’t experience the 70’s like most of us said “ that’s some kind of special effect isn’t it”.  I said "I have never heard pot called that before". I am serious no one tried to stop it and it was blatant as all get out. It was way too funny makes me chuckle now as I type this.  

Finally the band came on and you know what?  I don’t understand why any of those people like them. All they did was create some of the tightest riff orientated music I haven’t heard since the Dixie Dregs or Frank Zappa.  The drummer and percussionist were incredibly tight and if any of the hippie girls dancing on the floor had any idea that there was little dance rhythm to the music it would have shocked them to sobriety.

I loved the dual lead guitarist and the keyboard player kept things interesting.  If I have a complaint it is the vocals that predominately alternative rock in their style.   

I am hoping to get to know this band better and picked up their DVD at the show and hope to have better report than this one without the contact high. Wink

I am not sure if this helps in your evaluation of where they should go but it certainly should help you realize you need to go see this band.

Smile

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2009 at 12:23
Clap   that it does.. 
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2009 at 13:03
I liking this. I love the Red cover.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2009 at 17:57
i was also surprised to see certain people at the show i went to. Lots of hot girls, lots of college students (i guess that means me too...) but hey, the band appeals to many different types of people.

i talked to one guy in between sets who had to be in his early 50s, who was going nuts about the band. He said he's seen Yes, Frank Zappa, King Crimson, ELP, James Brown, Miles Davis, and some obscure prog band i never heard of, all back in the 70s. Said he saw KC in the 80s, and was into Iron Maiden during the 80s. He said Umphrey's McGee bridges the gap between that generation and mine, i had to agree. he couldnt believe how good they were. And i had to admit, with the large amount of young people at the show, there was a good amount of much older people there. It made me feel good.

i would pay double what i paid to see them ($37) and am definitely going to see them again as much as i can.They put on an AMAZING show, and the copy i bought off UMlive proves it. (btw it was 15% off if you bought both Nokia Theater shows and it was worth it, Friday's show was just as sick (full album performance of Mantis!!!))

Edited by darkshade - April 15 2009 at 18:00
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>